PDA

View Full Version : What do i have to do to get a ASO ankle brace from the Doctor?

brownbearfalling
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
So the other day my brother sprained his ankle bad enough to go to the doctors to make sure it was ok. So as they do with most people they gave him the air caste for his ankle. While we were purchasing the brace, which was mostly paid for by insurance, i saw that they had aso ankle braces. Has anyone ever been prescribed an ASO ankle brace from the doctors? i figure that the doctor knows the difference between a chronically weak ankles to people acting like they do. Or has anyone just asked the doctor to prescribe them one? Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Uncle Emmitt
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
not familiar w/ those but babolat makes some pretty good ones

dhustla15
10-16-2008, 08:25 PM
You know that babolat makes good ankles braces but andy roddick wheres the aso braces.

Uncle Emmitt
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
A lot of juniors wear the babolat braces and they seem to work fine for them and they like them.

Not familiar with the aso but I imagine they are really good if Roddick is wearing them

Topaz
10-17-2008, 07:43 AM
So the other day my brother sprained his ankle bad enough to go to the doctors to make sure it was ok. So as they do with most people they gave him the air caste for his ankle. While we were purchasing the brace, which was mostly paid for by insurance, i saw that they had aso ankle braces. Has anyone ever been prescribed an ASO ankle brace from the doctors? i figure that the doctor knows the difference between a chronically weak ankles to people acting like they do. Or has anyone just asked the doctor to prescribe them one? Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

ASOs are 35 bucks on TW...worth every penny, just buy one (or two).

pro_staff
10-17-2008, 09:23 AM
ASO is just a brand. There are other (cheaper) braces that are made exactly the same. Just because Roddick wears them doesn't mean they're in any way better.

Jonnyf
10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
ASO is just a brand. There are other (cheaper) braces that are made exactly the same. Just because Roddick wears them doesn't mean they're in any way better.

Well, I'd disagree there. The fact that he's wearing them when he could be making $$ from Babolat to wear theres indicates that he (and all of his "crew") Feel that these are the best that he can get to play tennis at the highest level and protect his ankles.

Topaz
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
$35 to protect an ankle is dirt cheap in my book...Roddick endorsed or not.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-ASOAB.html

pro_staff
10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Well, I'd disagree there. The fact that he's wearing them when he could be making $$ from Babolat to wear theres indicates that he (and all of his "crew") Feel that these are the best that he can get to play tennis at the highest level and protect his ankles.

I mean ankle braces with the same type of design from another brand. I've tried my friend's ASO and I have Mcdavid and I can't tell the difference. I bought the Mcdavid for $10 cheaper.

goober
10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I mean ankle braces with the same type of design from another brand. I've tried my friend's ASO and I have Mcdavid and I can't tell the difference. I bought the Mcdavid for $10 cheaper.

Yup there are several companies that make a model which are exactly like ASO for cheaper. I have an ASO brace, but I have a hard time believing that there is a significant diferrence in materials that would actually make a difference.

BestLefty UK
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
$35 to protect an ankle is dirt cheap in my book...Roddick endorsed or not.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-ASOAB.html

Really.... $35?! In england its like 40! I definitely need one but dunno which is the best

Topaz
10-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Really.... $35?! In england its like 40! I definitely need one but dunno which is the best

What do mean, which one? If you are trying to decide between ASO and McDavid, they are basically the same type of brace, just go with whichever one you can get for the less money.

Would getting it from TW save you any money? Not sure with shipping and taxed to England.

Of course, I'm in the US, and just got mine off of TW, and it has been great. There are many threads on ankle braces in the forum, too, just do a search if you want more comments and feedback.

Storm_Kyori
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I was presribed one by my doctor like 3 years ago and it was the best. I twisted my ankle skating and grew about the size of a plum and same color I guess. Gave me one on the spot and didn't learn till about 4 months ago that they were the famous ASO endorsed by Roddick braces, surprised me really. Too bad it's too small for me since that same ankle gives me trouble. I just ordered one yesterday from TW.

Topaz
10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Yes, it is important to measure your ankle (they show you how on the TW's page for the brace), to make sure you get the right size!

Storm_Kyori
10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes, it is important to measure your ankle (they show you how on the TW's page for the brace), to make sure you get the right size!

I measured 14", but decided to go to XL 14-15" Was that a good idea or should I have went with 13-14"?

Mazilla2219
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Wearing two ASOs, one on each ankles, prevented me from rolling my right one on clay the other day. $35-40 is worth not having to stop play and hobble around for awhile.

beernutz
10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I've started using a BioSkin TriLock http://www.ossur.co.uk/?PageID=4356 ankle brace which for me was MUCH more supportive and comfortable than either the McDavid or ASO braces. It was a little more expensive than the ASO at around $40 including shipping (I did not buy mine from ossur.co.uk) but it was well worth the extra scratch. And compared to what I spent at the Orthopedic Surgeon it was a huge bargain.

Kenny022593
10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
who cares if roddick uses them Lleyton Hewitt uses them =D love that guys style