PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow, or no?

canadave
10-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm 37 male in decent shape. Just started playing tennis off and on a couple years ago after a looooong layoff, and this year finally joined a social club and started playing a couple of days a week, two hour sessions. Noticed some shoulder issues when serving really hard, in the rotator cuff area, but other than that no other health issues.

Obviously the season is starting to wind down, so I hadn't played in a few days. However, I had just switched from my Wilson PSC 6.1 to my new Dunlop AG100 (hit once fairly heavily with it, then kind of a very light workout session).

As I say, I hadn't played in a few days. All of a sudden at home at night, while lying in bed, I moved my arm a certain way and had a shooting pain in my elbow, in the spot where tennis elbow would be. It was almost as if my elbow had "locked up" instead of moving fluidly to where I wanted my hand to go.

I tried flexing it a little bit to sort of "jiggle it and unlock it", and finally got it to move fully in the full range of motion....but it still hurt a lot when I flexed it fully, in that elbow spot.

Now, for the past few days, although it feels slightly better, I still have pain there when I move it a certain way. It feels sore and stiff. If I extend my arm fully out straight, the area feels a little swollen and tender.

In other words, it feels like what I've read tennis elbow feels like (never had it before in my life, so can't be sure). But my question is: wouldn't it be unusual for tennis elbow to suddenly hit me, days after I last played?

I haven't yet booked a doc yet to have a look at it...as I said it's feeling slightly better (four/five days afterward), so I'm hoping it'll just go away on its own...but I just wanted to get an idea of what people think of this. I'm also wondering if my last-minute change in racquet might've had anything to do with this.

Thanks!
Dave

princemidplus
10-17-2008, 06:54 AM
sounds like you got a bit of delayed onset of muscle stiffness (DOMS) rather than tennis elbow. I know when I have had a break from tennis and then go back and play for a long time (hours) at once then my forearms tend to get stiff a few days later and eases after about a week at most.

If it was tennis elbow you would have had pain during playing. i personally would not stress unless it is still giving you trouble over two weeks later. try having a gentle hit or two and nothing hard or big spin to see if that helps ease the stiffness.