PDA

View Full Version : Racquet weight attachment

Fred132
10-18-2008, 04:31 AM
I've seen footage of a couple of players - McEnroe and Max Myrni, I think - using some sort of weight that snaps on or attaches to a racquet. I would like something similar as a warm-up/therapy tool.

Does anyone know what they are using? I've yet to find such a product available anywhere.

SystemicAnomaly
10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Not sure if swinging a weighted racket has long-term benefits or not. However, in the short-term, it had been shown by Perry Husband, a hitting expert, and others that swinging with extra weight actually appears to cause a decrease in performance. The practice of taking practice or warm-up swings with extra weight has been a standard practice in baseball and, to a lesser degree, in golf.

Recent studies have shown that this practice is probably counterproductive. The extra weight during a warm-up does several things. It throws off the timing of the swing -- this alone can result in poorer performance. The extra weight also trains the muscle to swing at a slightly reduced speed. It may be recruiting the wrong muscle fiber types -- the human body has 3 or 4 different muscle fiber types (type I, type II-a, type II-x, and possibly type II-c). Check out the following video excerpt from SportScience (on FSN):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY)

Don't know if the following training tool is any better. Maybe, maybe not. Anyone know of studies on the ETCHswing: etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing (http://etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing)

grizzly4life
10-18-2008, 09:26 PM
tons of guys on the golf tour use weighted clubs to warm up.. i've heard good things, but i understand it might be counter-productive.

there is/was a product called "powerDisc", not sure exact syntax, that did exactly that.... i asked TW about it and even they were surprised that they seemed to be out of them and weren't sure whether it was permanent which is what it felt like to me.

Japanese Maple
10-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Not sure if swinging a weighted racket has long-term benefits or not. However, in the short-term, it had been shown by Perry Husband, a hitting expert, and others that swinging with extra weight actually appears to cause a decrease in performance. The practice of taking practice or warm-up swings with extra weight has been a standard practice in baseball and, to a lesser degree, in golf.

Recent studies have shown that this practice is probably counterproductive. The extra weight during a warm-up does several things. It throws off the timing of the swing -- this alone can result in poorer performance. The extra weight also trains the muscle to swing at a slightly reduced speed. It may be recruiting the wrong muscle fiber types -- the human body has 3 or 4 different muscle fiber types (type I, type II-a, type II-x, and possibly type II-c). Check out the following video excerpt from SportScience (on FSN):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY)

Don't know if the following training tool is any better. Maybe, maybe not. Anyone know of studies on the ETCHswing: etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing (http://etcheberryexperience.com/en/info/the_etch_swing)

Ststemic Anomaly-I have been using the weighted disk for years as part of my dynamic warm up for my strokes. Great way to stretch out muscles and tendons while I swing through a full range of motion. Another big reason I like to swing the weighted racquet before playing is it makes my heavy racquet-13 oz., feel lighter during actual play. I have not had any issues with poorer timing, or reduced racquet speed. In fact, I believe it helps me increase my racquet speed which is why golfers and baseball players use it. Again, I only use this briefly(5 mins) just before I play and not as a ongoing training routine-I think its great!

SystemicAnomaly
10-19-2008, 05:28 AM
^ JM, was the ETCHswing used when you trained at the Etcheberry camp?

Japanese Maple
10-19-2008, 08:36 AM
^ JM, was the ETCHswing used when you trained at the Etcheberry camp?
No, years ago I bought the weight from TW. Like I said I like it and it helps stretch me out.