PDA

View Full Version : How bad really is Coca-Cola for you?

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I seriously drink like maybe 1.5-2 liters every day since I was a boy, but i used to drink a lot less before of course, it's been since the last 4-5 years that i've drinked that much.

I've considered quitting many times, but it's really hard. I have an uncle who is like 57 and he has been drinking all his life like twice as much as i have, maybe more, and he's still kicking. The thing I fear about this stuff is the "excessive amount of sugar" it supposedly has, for like, diabetes or something like that.

so anyone knows how bad this really is or what could it give you?

WildVolley
10-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Well, it isn't good for you. Drinking 2 liters a day is really overkill. The amount of sugar you are taking in can become a problem if you don't exercise enough and become overweight.

Instead of trying to quit all at once, why don't you just drink it one time a day, and then drink water the rest of the day?

pro_staff
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, soda is bad for you. The excessive sugar will raise your blood glucose level and it will stress your pancreas to deal with that sudden raise of glucose level. This can lead to insulin-resistance (this is the very very short and simple version of what actually happens...). Insulin-resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes, which is when your body can't lower your blood glucose level. When this happens, you can die/fall into a coma/yada yada yada.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, it isn't good for you. Drinking 2 liters a day is really overkill. The amount of sugar you are taking in can become a problem if you don't exercise enough and become overweight.

Instead of trying to quit all at once, why don't you just drink it one time a day, and then drink water the rest of the day?

Well, i forgot to add that i do exercise a lot, i play tennis for one, and besides that i work out a lot too, oh and i also drink A LOT of water too, more than i drink coke.

I think 2 liters is a bit exaggerated, because i don't live alone, so i'm not the only one who drinks in the house, so it maybe is like 1.5.

Yes, soda is bad for you. The excessive sugar will raise your blood glucose level and it will stress your pancreas to deal with that sudden raise of glucose level. This can lead to insulin-resistance (this is the very very short and simple version of what actually happens...). Insulin-resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes, which is when your body can't lower your blood glucose level. When this happens, you can die/fall into a coma/yada yada yada.

can all that be countered by doing a lot of exercise and drinking plenty of water?

WildVolley
10-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I think 2 liters is a bit exaggerated, because i don't live alone, so i'm not the only one who drinks in the house, so it maybe is like 1.5.

can all that be countered by doing a lot of exercise and drinking plenty of water?

Look, taking in large amounts of sugar every day is probably not good for your health. Coca-cola is basically like liquid candy. Being young and exercising probably helps as does drinking a lot of water.

Basically, you won't find a doctor or sports nutritionist recommending that you drink a large quantity of soft drinks or even things like fruit juice.

So, if you want to optimize your health and athletic performance, you'll probably benefit by adopting a healthier diet. And in any case, it will probably save you some money if you just drink it once in a while.

I have access to a free soft-drink dispenser at lunch, so I know how difficult it can be to control your intake. But I think it is something worth doing. A little discipline never hurt anyone.:)

Mansewerz
10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with Wildvolley, slow down in moderation. Thats kind of what I did, and now I seldom ever drink soft drinks. Usually water now.

Also, you're also lucky. At least you're not addicted to crack or pot.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree with Wildvolley, slow down in moderation. Thats kind of what I did, and now I seldom ever drink soft drinks. Usually water now.

hehe yeah, I don't even bother trying that never ever, because i know you lose control with that stuff and you get addicted quickly and die even faster. I've had a lot of chances of trying out drugs, but i always run away from the spot and refuse even trying that crazyness.

I just spoke to a guy right now about the effects of coca-cola and sugar, he's just a friend who's like 36 and he also drinks a lot of it, but he knows some. He said that, yes it is abviously bad, but that if you do exercises and keep yourself active, it doesn't affect you, because all the sugar you take, you burn it when you do exercises and activities. He said that the real damage comes when you consume a lot of it and don't do anything, that is, you don't do any exercise or stay active, so he said that older people who just work normally and don't do much exercise are the ones that can get affected by it, but not young people like myself (19) and that of course do exercise.

Anyways, I'll try and quit drinking at all this month, once i stopped for like 37 days, so i know i can do it.

pro_staff
10-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I just spoke to a guy right now about the effects of coca-cola and sugar, he's just a friend who's like 36 and he also drinks a lot of it, but he knows some. He said that, yes it is abviously bad, but that if you do exercises and keep yourself active, it doesn't affect you, because all the sugar you take, you burn it when you do exercises and activities. He said that the real damage comes when you consume a lot of it and don't do anything, that is, you don't do any exercise or stay active, so he said that older people who just work normally and don't do much exercise are the ones that can get affected by it, but not young people like myself (19) and that of course do exercise.

This is not entirely accurate. When you exercise, you're basically making your cells more "sensitive" to all the sugar in your blood so your cells can absorb that sugar to lower your blood glucose level. Drinking soda will still stress your pancreas no matter how much you exercise, although, i'll admit, not as much. I strongly recommend you don't consume that much soda. Period.

Headshotterer
10-18-2008, 04:30 PM
how are you addicted to cola?

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 04:31 PM
well, in any case, are the consecuences (the bad ones) developed over a long period of time, and if you didn't get anything, can quitting on the spot get you recovered again, even if you didn't have any visible damages or whatever?

Satch
10-18-2008, 04:32 PM
you can't quit just like that, you will need to get to 1L per day, then to one glass and over some period of say a few months you will be able to get rid of it...

you will be feeling tired if you stop to consume it at all,because of sugar and caffein

WildVolley
10-18-2008, 04:32 PM

It's possible to get addicted to cola because of the caffeine. However, it is probably one of the safer addictions. Caffeine taken in moderation doesn't seem to harm health, and the side effect of withdrawal is mostly headaches for most people.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 04:33 PM

don't know, it's just the drink i like most when having a pizza or eating chips or having a smoke

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 04:34 PM
you can't quit just like that, you will need to get to 1L per day, then to one glass and over some period of say a few months you will be able to get rid of it...

you will be feeling tired if you stop to consume it at all,because of sugar and caffein

well, like i said, once (like 2 years ago) i stopped drinking completely from one day to the other and kept it for 37 days

Satch
10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
well, like i said, once (like 2 years ago) i stopped drinking completely from one day to the other and kept it for 37 days

but you returned to it didn't you? so it's not working that way.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
but you returned to it didn't you? so it's not working that way.

i returned to it because i had asked God a certain favor in return of doing that (lol), but since it didn't happen, i said what the heck and abandoned the "sacrifice"

ag200boy
10-18-2008, 04:58 PM
don't know, it's just the drink i like most when having a pizza or eating chips or having a smoke

so in addition to the coke, you eat pizza and chips and you smoke?

not a very healthy person huh? ;)

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 05:03 PM
so in addition to the coke, you eat pizza and chips and you smoke?

not a very healthy person huh? ;)

hey, but it's not like every day!

Pizza i seldom eat, like 3 times a month or less maybe

chips are rare too, but more than the pizza %

and smoke yes i do, but less than 10 a day.

Satch
10-18-2008, 05:08 PM
i returned to it because i had asked God a certain favor in return of doing that (lol), but since it didn't happen, i said what the heck and abandoned the "sacrifice"

ok, so i say that you will became a new Federer in 10 years if you quit coke now :twisted:

Topaz
10-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Stop smoking. Stop drinking soda. Your body will thank you.

El Diablo
10-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about pizza. Famed Harvard nutritionist Jean Mayer years ago declared it the fast food of choice, noting that flour, tomato sauce, a little cheese and olive oil is really a relatively healthy concoction. Beware the add-ons....pepperoni nearly doubles the calorie count, for example.

Barricade V
10-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, i forgot to add that i do exercise a lot, i play tennis for one, and besides that i work out a lot too, oh and i also drink A LOT of water too, more than i drink coke.

thats a hell of a lot of liquid a day

Gmedlo
10-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Oh my god, slow down for a second! You smoke <10 a day and you're worried about your addiction to cola? That is a much bigger fish to fry, and after you stop smoking, getting off cola will seem like a piece of cake.

Note the food analogies.

JakeHCoker
10-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I also over drink soda's along with another 75872045720475 (exageration) people here. It hasn't hurt me yet, but I also do alot to more than equal it out.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh my god, slow down for a second! You smoke <10 a day and you're worried about your addiction to cola? That is a much bigger fish to fry, and after you stop smoking, getting off cola will seem like a piece of cake.

Note the food analogies.

less than 10 cigarrettes isn't that big a deal, i know people who smoke 2 packs a day, that's 40 cigarrettes! Now that is an addiction.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I also over drink soda's along with another 75872045720475 (exageration) people here. It hasn't hurt me yet, but I also do alot to more than equal it out.

how old are you? it hasn't hurt me yet either, but my fear is that maybe someday it will hurt like at once, bang!

TheShaun
10-18-2008, 08:07 PM
coke zero is your friend. same taste, no sugar!

mrmo1115
10-18-2008, 08:15 PM
imo just first stop smoking then worry about the coke

Rickson
10-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Coke isn't nearly as bad as smoking, but that sugar and caffeine can catch up to you eventually. Drinking Coke can contribute to acquiring type 2 diabetes, but you'd have to not only drink an absurd amount, you'd have to live a pretty sedentary lifestyle so don't believe that Coke alone will give you diabetes. It may contribute, but don't stress too much. Cut back on the Coke and replace it with water. If you need that Coke taste so much, drink a glass of water first and then have a glass of Coke. Drink the water for your thirst and the Coke just for the taste.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Coke isn't nearly as bad as smoking, but that sugar and caffeine can catch up to you eventually. Drinking Coke can contribute to acquiring type 2 diabetes, but you'd have to not only drink an absurd amount, you'd have to live a pretty sedentary lifestyle so don't believe that Coke alone will give you diabetes. It may contribute, but don't stress too much. Cut back on the Coke and replace it with water. If you need that Coke taste so much, drink a glass of water first and then have a glass of Coke. Drink the water for your thirst and the Coke just for the taste.

that's what i've been doing lately, drinking a lot more water than coke.

The first thing i do when i get up is drink like 1/2 a litre of not so cold water or maybe a bit less, and throughout the day i drink a lot of water too, but lately i've been drinking less coke, and not so often, but still everyday.

EDIT: thanks for the advice!

Fee
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
All the exercise in the world will not undo the damage that coke and smoking are doing to your teeth.

It seems to me you are drinking an awful lot of fluids, even for someone who does exercise and that could also be a problem. I wonder if there is more that you are not telling us, perhaps you should just get a referral to a good nutritionist instead of getting piecemeal advice here.

El Pelele
10-18-2008, 10:51 PM
^^Nope, that's about it, but it's not THAT an awful amount of fluid

Gmedlo
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
El Pelele, I can tell you as someone that has sworn off soda that the results are worth it. You will be happier because you have a better body, better mind, and better convictions. I've done it for three years now, and I'm in high school, where soda is all around me. Good luck breaking the habit!

volusiano
10-19-2008, 02:22 AM
I've also been off soda for the last few years, although I still drink it occasionally when I go out to eat. I used to be a long-time soda drinker, but at some point, I felt like I it's no longer enjoyable, and like my body is telling me to quit. So I just quit cold turkey. I don't think I'm addicted to it because I can still drink it occasionally and not get hooked back on.

Topaz
10-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Soda, even diet soda, is chemicals. Chemicals that, if you were to pour into the engine of your car, would corride it over time.

Do you really want that in your body?

Honestly, I quit soda cold turkey when I found out just how bad it was for me. Never missed it, but I've never been much of a caffeine lover, either.

But it is important to know, it isn't just the high sugar in sodas that is bad for you, it is the whole concoction of crap that really, you are much better off without.

It also, over time, leeches the calcium from your bones.

Seriously, just don't drink it in any form.

albino smurf
10-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Drink juice if you want sugary drink. Add soda water if you want fizz. Quit smoking. What you are doing now will catch up to you when you are 40+ years old.

Polaris
10-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Man, forget about the cola addiction for now. The cigarettes will kill you much faster. First, try to reduce and possibly eliminate smoking. Cigarettes shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as pizza and chips and coke. They are a whole different league of killing machines.

Rickson
10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I mentioned the same thing in post 29, but it seems like the op is addicted to smokes. I'm a former smoker too and I used to make the same excuses as the op. Half a pack a day is not that much, yada yada... Cigarettes are bad for you, period.

punch
10-19-2008, 10:15 AM
10 cigs a day for a week....a month....a year.... that's a lot of cigarettes.

The results when stopping smoking are immediate, I would worry about that before I worried so much about coca cola.
Seems to be denial if you think 10 cigs is nothing and you see people around you smoking a pack plus a day.

Voltron
10-19-2008, 10:20 AM

You can't get addicted to pot.

ollinger
10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
It's funny how people fret over the sugar in Coca Cola. Read the ingredients some time and you'll conclude that the sugar is the most food-like thing that they put in it.

Fee
10-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Yes you can, you absolutely can. And you can go through withdrawals when you stop smoking it.

Satch
10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
coke zero is your friend. same taste, no sugar!

i would rather drink 2L of original cola per day than 0.33 of zero... that thing is a real killer, sure it doesn't have sugar, but it does more damage to your body that real sugar.

Venetian
10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
OP, ever been to the dentist? Yikes.

Voltron
10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes you can, you absolutely can. And you can go through withdrawals when you stop smoking it.
Perhaps, but not nearly addictive or damaging as many other drugs, such as alcohol, and withdrawal (if experienced at all) is far less that most other drugs. So yes, it's addictive, but not to the degree of other widely known addictive substances. (like cigarettes or alcohol)

FlamEnemY
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
i would rather drink 2L of original cola per day than 0.33 of zero... that thing is a real killer, sure it doesn't have sugar, but it does more damage to your body that real sugar.

True. There are many articles about sugar substitutes (i.e. saccharin) and basically they turn to turns to acids that your body can't really process, especially when in large amounts.

Fee
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Perhaps, but not nearly addictive or damaging as many other drugs, such as alcohol, and withdrawal (if experienced at all) is far less that most other drugs. So yes, it's addictive, but not to the degree of other widely known addictive substances. (like cigarettes or alcohol)

A few years back I had a friend stay with me for a weekend so he could stop smoking pot and go through the withdrawal. It was a very emotional thing and the physical withdrawal was pretty hard too. He had already cut his usage back but the 3 days with me were his final step. It was not anything like hard core drug withdrawal, but it was a real thing. I'm not sure where you are getting your information about this topic, but you might want to consider other sources. :) (Doesn't really matter as long as YOU aren't using any).

Dags
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
after you stop smoking, getting off cola will seem like a piece of cake.

When I was at uni I smoked 20-30 and drank a tin of pop per day. I found it much harder giving up the Coke than stopping smoking: the withdrawl from sugar and caffeine were much more severe than the lack of nicotine (I should mention I've never taken a liking to tea or coffee, so Coke was my only source of caffeine). Fatigue, headaches... it was nasty.

To stop smoking, I'm a believer in cold turkey. You will find that you are addicted more to the habit than the nicotine, and so you have to get it in your head that you will stop. To do that you have to want to stop, and as this thread is about Coke then maybe the OP doesn't.

To give up Coke, I would suggest cutting down whilst you wean yourself from it to help with the side effects. Drink a lot of water to help with the headaches.

Good luck to the OP if you try to kick either.

El Pelele
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
when they compare what coke does to your insides saying that it takes off the rust in nails and stuff like that, i don't know if this is right, but i think "that's because that's a metal, but are your insides metallic?" hehe.

Yeah, i'll attempt getting rid of both smoking and coke at the same time, but i find giving up smokes way easier than coke, but i'll do it.

About my teeth, they are fine, i wash them like 3-4 times a day, after every meal, or when i feel they need to be washed. I don't have any cavities.

albino smurf
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM

I've been trying to for years...

El Pelele
10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Damn, it's just like Morphy said:

"All the good things in life are bad for you."

Satch
10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Damn, it's just like Morphy said:

"All the good things in life are bad for you."

nope... nothing good in coke and pot that's why it's bad for you.

El Pelele
10-19-2008, 05:25 PM
nope... nothing good in coke and pot that's why it's bad for you.

i didn't say pot was good.

Duzza
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Jolly being such a good player I didnt think you'd drink that much coke?

Topaz
10-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Uh Duzza...that's not Jolly. Take a look at the username.

Djokovicfan4life
10-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Dude, I used to be in a similar situation as yourself. I smoked about 7-10 cigarettes a day for about 3 years, but I never really felt like it was a major addiction. I went on vacation last summer and left my smokes at home. When I got home I just decided to not smoke anymore. It was really easy for me to quit, but I think I may be a little bit lucky when it comes to addiction. You sound like you may be a similar type of person.

In short, you need to stop smoking in order to live a healthy lifestyle. Period. Don't even worry about the Coke right now. That stuff is nothing compared to cigarettes when it comes to your health.

Djokovicfan4life
10-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Ah, I see Mansewerz's avatar has gotten you confused!

El Pelele
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Dude, I used to be in a similar situation as yourself. I smoked about 7-10 cigarettes a day for about 3 years, but I never really felt like it was a major addiction. I went on vacation last summer and left my smokes at home. When I got home I just decided to not smoke anymore. It was really easy for me to quit, but I think I may be a little bit lucky when it comes to addiction. You sound like you may be a similar type of person.

In short, you need to stop smoking in order to live a healthy lifestyle. Period. Don't even worry about the Coke right now. That stuff is nothing compared to cigarettes when it comes to your health.

Yep, that's kinda like how i am right now, i've been smoking for like a year and 2 months now, but it's not such big an addiction like you said, today i've only had 1 smoke, like 5 mins ago.

I know that either way it's bad, so like i said i'll attemp to quit both this month.

teppeiahn1
10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Scray fact. Coca Cola company used to use coke to clean out their trucks engine.

If you are too poor to clean your toilet, just buy some coke and poor it in, and leave it there for a while. Flush it and works like a bleach hahah

Voltron
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
A few years back I had a friend stay with me for a weekend so he could stop smoking pot and go through the withdrawal. It was a very emotional thing and the physical withdrawal was pretty hard too. He had already cut his usage back but the 3 days with me were his final step. It was not anything like hard core drug withdrawal, but it was a real thing. I'm not sure where you are getting your information about this topic, but you might want to consider other sources. :) (Doesn't really matter as long as YOU aren't using any).

Hmm, perhaps I should check different sources, as that sounds like a rough thing to go through. I hope he's doing OK.

phucng_10
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't exactly know, but I've cut down drinking soda and putting more water into my body.

mawashi
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Anything that artificial can't be good not to mention the high Caffeine content. If that isn't bad enough, the sugar and acid in the stuff is like poison to your teeth.

Once the enamel coating on your teeth wears out it's time for dentures man... smile :-)

http://www.livescience.com/health/070321_soda_teeth.html

Cheers on quitting your coke habit LOL!

mawashi

Rickson
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Good for you, phucking! Water is the best drink because of the amount of calories it contains. A big, fat zero.

fed_the_savior
10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Scray fact. Coca Cola company used to use coke to clean out their trucks engine.

If you are too poor to clean your toilet, just buy some coke and poor it in, and leave it there for a while. Flush it and works like a bleach hahah

urban legend. check snopes.

coke is addicting, so it's hard to stop. tastes good and a big fizzy tangy bang to it. need to stop.

Duzza
10-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Ah, I see Mansewerz's avatar has gotten you confused!

Uh Duzza...that's not Jolly. Take a look at the username.

Mmm if only, keep it on the D.L but I wanna do it just to show them how annoying it is being part of this pirate cult :p

Irvin
10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Contrary to popular belief sugar does not cause diabetes. Sugar can cause weight gain and being over weight can cause diabetes. There are simple blood tests to see if you are pre-diabetic. Heck anyone can stop drinking colas it takes a real man to take on diabetes. Of course I am not sure if any of those real men have ever won the battle. If diabetes was in my family history and I were overweight I would do something about it. I would not be looking for someone on a tennis website to give me advice on diabetes.

Also cola is great to get rid of fat. Don't believe me? Put a strip of bacon in a glass of cola overnight and see what happens. Better yet you may not want to do that. You might think, "Wow, wonder what that cola doing to my stomach."

If you were not concerned you would not have asked the question. Slow down, you are going too fast.

Irvin

El Diablo
10-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Probably not doing much to the stomach, given the low pH and cells that constantly slough off. But the rest of you......

FlamEnemY
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Coca Cola acts like an acid. Your stomach is full with acid by default and constantly putting more there isn't a good idea.

WBF
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I used to be a bit overweight. 6', and 205-210lbs at my worst. The only difference between then and now is that back then, I consumed large quantities (probably as much or a little less than your 1.5-2.0L) of soda.

After cutting back on this, without major changes to my diet or exercise regime (I actually played more back then), I now fluctuate between 175 and 180.

This ignores the incredibly unhealthy effects of Coca Cola, both long and short term.

I would recommend transitioning to diet soda and water, and then on to coffee and water, or some similar path.

madayan
10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Yep, that's kinda like how i am right now, i've been smoking for like a year and 2 months now, but it's not such big an addiction like you said, today i've only had 1 smoke, like 5 mins ago.

I know that either way it's bad, so like i said i'll attemp to quit both this month.

It may not be as simple as you think. My father was a smoker. He quit smoking multiple times. He once started again after quitting it for 13 years. Well, it ended finally when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. His realization came late...very late. Make no mistake, smoking is bad.

Fee
10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Hmm, perhaps I should check different sources, as that sounds like a rough thing to go through. I hope he's doing OK.

He's fine, but he was a heavy pot smoker (daily). Part of me thinks his physical symptoms were psychosomatic, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, as long as you aren't smoking pot, that's all I'm concerned about (save it until you stop growing). ;)

El Pelele
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
It may not be as simple as you think. My father was a smoker. He quit smoking multiple times. He once started again after quitting it for 13 years. Well, it ended finally when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. His realization came late...very late. Make no mistake, smoking is bad.

Sorry to hear that. But how much did your father smoke?

madayan
10-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear that. But how much did your father smoke?

I remember him smoking anywhere from 10-12 a day to 2-3 a day. We used to argue about this one a lot and often. I guess he realised that he's harming himself, but in the end, couldn't help or didn't bother much.

It's never too late. Stop now and stop it once and for all.

futuratennis
10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
lol, mate its bad for you.. i drink coke like once a month, sometimes i dont even drink it for up to 3 months

FedererISBetter
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Believe it or not, i drink coke during official and unofficial matches. One sip of coke and three sips of water, just gives me the energy and makes me feel full. Only downfall is burping lol

El Pelele
10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Believe it or not, i drink coke during official and unofficial matches. One sip of coke and three sips of water, just gives me the energy and makes me feel full. Only downfall is burping lol

hehe when i used to run everyday like 3 years ago, i wouldn't drink any coke at all before i went running, because if i did, i would get air or gases or something in my stomach and that familiar pain or feeling wouldn't let me run, so i always drank after i went running, and i went running like at 5 o'clock. But you said one sip, so it doesn't really matter in your case i guess

netman
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Sugar is empty calories. Excess sugar overwhelms your metabolic system. A 12 oz Coke has the equivalent of 12 teaspoons of sugar in it. Do the math.

-k-

CanadianChic
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM

I just love threads like these. Coca cola is very healthy for you. I am a diet Coke drinker myself so there is absolutely no way my stomach lining is being slowly eaten nor is my brain becoming damaged due to the Aspartame. Nope.

Now can anyone tell me how bad that enormous Mr. Big bar I just ate is? :-?

Fee
11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
what the heck is a Mr Big Bar? Is that some time of moose and back bacon thing? ;)

CanadianChic
11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
what the heck is a Mr Big Bar? Is that some time of moose and back bacon thing? ;)

The link doesn't work, so as per Wiki:

"Mr. Big is the largest sized chocolate bar produced by Cadbury. The standard bar is made of a long, layered vanilla wafer, coated in caramel, peanuts and rice crisps, which is then covered in the chocolate coating. A Mr. Big bar is the length of two "standard"-sized bars end-to-end - around 20 centimetres long. The largest sized bar at the time is the King Size.

In Canada, they are very common, and are available at all regular retailers, in an increasing number of varieties. Some of the new varieties available include Mr. Chew Big (with added caramel), Mr. Big Fudge (with a fudgy centre), and Mr. Big with Maple. They are also available in lesser quantities in a few other countries like Australia (though they are only available at the Cadbury factory outlet in Hobart, Tasmania), Great Britain, and Germany. Mr. Big has also been commonly offered at convenience stores in South Korea such as Family Mart and 7-11 since the late 1990s.

Mr. Big is the only Cadbury chocolate bar to have an ice cream variant made by Nestlé."

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8873/mrbigwh1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I ate the one they have out now (for greedy holiday shoppers) which is about four times the size of the normal bar. I ate it in about two minutes and feel not a twinge of remorse. The dairy in the milk chocolate and the rice puts it into the health food category after all. ;)

d-quik
11-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes you can, you absolutely can. And you can go through withdrawals when you stop smoking it.clearly those people that get withdrawls from trying to stop pot are not normal. any sane and secure individual can smoke pot on command. everyone i know who smoke pot all can just stop cold turkey/for years at a time/to save money for a long term project/girlfriend/boyfriend/to study/etc...

Hot Sauce
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Just passing through this thread, but I'd like to join in. Weed is not addictive like tobacco or cocaine. If someone was 'addicted' to weed, it would be because he/she liked it so much that he/she didn't want to stop. Not because the person needed it.

Hot Sauce
11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Sugar is empty calories. Excess sugar overwhelms your metabolic system. A 12 oz Coke has the equivalent of 12 teaspoons of sugar in it. Do the math.

-k-
I will do the math. one teaspoon of sugar per ounce of coke! YUSS!
It's a nickname for my genitalia.

CanadianChic
11-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Just passing through this thread, but I'd like to join in. Weed is not addictive like tobacco or cocaine. If someone was 'addicted' to weed, it would be because he/she liked it so much that he/she didn't want to stop. Not because the person needed it.

While it is not as addictive as some drugs, it is addictive nonetheless.

http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/marijuana.htm

I will do the math. one teaspoon of sugar per ounce of coke! YUSS!

It's a nickname for my genitalia.

Oh my gawd! :shock::oops:

d-quik
11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Just passing through this thread, but I'd like to join in. Weed is not addictive like tobacco or cocaine. If someone was 'addicted' to weed, it would be because he/she liked it so much that he/she didn't want to stop. Not because the person needed it.yeah, just like hamburgers and ****

RanchDressing
11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I seriously drink like maybe 1.5-2 liters every day since I was a boy, but i used to drink a lot less before of course, it's been since the last 4-5 years that i've drinked that much.

I've considered quitting many times, but it's really hard. I have an uncle who is like 57 and he has been drinking all his life like twice as much as i have, maybe more, and he's still kicking. The thing I fear about this stuff is the "excessive amount of sugar" it supposedly has, for like, diabetes or something like that.

WHOA!
dude that stuff dissolves/degrates the calcium in your bones!
yikes! 1l+ a day?
you wont grow very tall, and your bones will be weak....
dude stop drinking that stuff immediatly.
btw true story, godfather spilt some cocacola on this little carpet and was tired and went to bed said he would clean it up in morning. checks on it in the mornin and it had dissolved a hole in the carpet.... (yes it was thinner carpet than what you are thinking of, but nontheless cant be all that good for your stomach)

RanchDressing
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM

watch celbrity rehab because that is an obvious/easy source to see what addiction is (there's some rockstar, dunno what he played, that is heavily addicted to marijuana)... cannabis can be very addictive. just because youve never seen a marijuana addict does not mean they dont exist.

and please dont compare somthing as meaningless as an uncontrolled adolecant (this can be remidied by a parent stepping in and cutting off this young one) to an addiction (im not saying you did hot sauce).
for those of us who have/are/will deal with somone (or have an addiction) with an addiction this is pretty offensive.

Fedace
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM

You could turn into a Diabetic but go ahead and change to Coke Zero. it is better than real coke.

Headshotterer
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
i chugged 2 liters of it before

andreh
11-18-2008, 05:52 AM

And from this statment, considering your massive intake of cola, can we infer that you are overconsuming the above mentioned items as well?

Joeyg
11-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Listen to the "doctor".

WBF
11-18-2008, 07:31 AM

False. You might not suffer as serious withdrawal symptoms, but marijuana is absolutely addictive. It will be more dependent on one's genetic predispositions, while Cocaine and Tobacco will end up addictive to most people. Regardless, it is silly to claim that marijuana isn't addictive. It is. The underlying neurophysiological basis is the same, it is just less direct than with other drugs. Take a basic NSC course to learn why.

Granted, it is arguably the least risky drug around, including Tobacco or Alcohol.

Pushmaster
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I never drink that *****, but diet Coke is 10 times worse because of the aspartame. When aspartame is consumed it metabolizes into formadihyde! That's what they put into dead people to preserve their corpse. :shock:

RanchDressing
11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
that is very unfair judgment.
if the withdrawl is bad enough to need to go to a treatment center its just the same as any other drug. Furthermore marijuana has side effects later in life (long after quitting) that are'nt seen coming: ie depression (which can cause actual physical pain). when somone uses any substance to the point of addiction, and get help, other very serious problems are uncovered. these problems are always the reasons to use.
The reason why you dont see many mj addicts is because eventually users become extreemly tollerant to the effects of THC, so they look elsewhere ("harder" drugs) to get their high. But few people move onto things like hashish (which are really potent in THC levels)... these are typically your Cannabis Addicts.

tennismom42
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
We use to use Coca Cola to clean the coffee pot & batter posts on the car's battery. That should give you a clue as to how bad it is for you!

stormholloway
11-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Coca Cola doesn't even contain real sugar. It uses a much cheaper, far more poisonous substance called high fructose corn syrup. Go read an explanation of how this genetically modified cocktail is produced.

In all truth, you're better off drinking a high quality beer or glass of wine. The crap put into these soft drinks is toxic and shouldn't be consumed by anyone.

If you're lucky enough to get some of the foreign made versions that use real sugar then good for you, but it's still unhealthy. The water they use to make these drinks is the kind you'd find in a truck stop urinal.

Jonnyf
11-22-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm going to weigh in on this topic aswell. I'm ashamed to admit it really, but..I've got some friends who started dabbaling in Weed. Who I'd say are pretty much addicted now. Including arguably my best friend.

It started off as him just "having a little bit when we're out getting mwi" I wasn't there when he had his first joint. Though I have seen him and others I know take weed several times.

Granted, I've not really seen it have a massive effect on anyone. It's just made them abit more giggly, (baring in mind, it was taken whilst they also consumed very large volumes of alcohol) and up for a laugh. However, I have seen one guy essentially lying over a deck..vomitting for about 3 hours off and on. Just laying prone and have also heard them describing halucinations etc.

Now, moving onto it's addictiveness. 2 Very good friends of mine who seemingly go out for a joint every night out. This guy, who's really pretty much my best mate seems to be getting affected by it aswell. He's changed since he began with the weed (and the...shisha pipe:shock:..I know WT...) He sort of fazes out of conversations etc. It's just not a nice thing to have seen the guy act so differently so quickly.

I did infact, talk to him about quitting the weed. He told me that "he was sick of it" and then, he proceeded to promise me he'd give it up. We're nearly 2 months on...seems like he's still smoking weed with a relative degree of regularity. It's something which actually really quite upsets me:oops: Especially since he lies to me all the time about having quit.:-(

I don't go out on nights out with him really anymore.I think it's because he's ashamed that he still smokes weed and lies bluntly to me,He's made it perfectly clear that he wants to quit. He just seems unable to. To me, Weed's currently mucking up one of the greatest guys I've ever met in my life.Saddening :-(

Just thought I'd weigh in with a personal experience about weed there. It's very late over here so I apologize if it's incoherent or has spelling mistakes etc.

PS: I'd like it to be known to forum members (particularly any who I've spoken to/or speak to) That I don't do weed/any drugs, Have never smoked (and like with drugs..never shall) the only thing I touch is alcohol. Just wanted to make that known incase it influenced anyones opinion.

Djokovicfan4life
11-23-2008, 12:45 PM
You could turn into a Diabetic but go ahead and change to Coke Zero. it is better than real coke.

You don't become diabetic from taking in too much sugar. That's a myth.

Andres
11-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I never drink that *****, but diet Coke is 10 times worse because of the aspartame. When aspartame is consumed it metabolizes into formadihyde! That's what they put into dead people to preserve their corpse. :shock:
That's why I look like 40 years younger! I'm actually 83 !!! :D