PDA

View Full Version : Overgrips: Wilson Pro not enough longevity, Tournagrip gives me blisters.

dwhiteside
10-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I've only used two overgrips before.

I really love Wilson Pro overgrips for about 5 hitting sessions (usually for a few hours each one). Then, they just lose their traction completely and are even worse than the default grip. But for the first few times they're lovely. I just don't want to go through the hassle of regripping my racquet every week and having to burn through overgrips that fast.

Tournagrip, I like for a few hitting sessions, but once it gets worn down after the first few hitting sessions gets to be this almost rough and clothlike texture that gives me horrible blisters. I do like the initial feel of these though, but I stick with the Pros for now because I'd rather deal with minor racquet slip than really painful blisters.

So I'm looking for an overgrip that lasts, and retains tackyness and absorption capabilities for the longest amount of time. I'm aware that it's a tradeoff and that I can't have everything I want, I.e. an ideal overgrip that stays tacky and comfortable for years.

Ultimately I guess I'll just have to experiment to see what personally works for my personal tastes and hands, but I wanted to hear a few suggestions for overgrips that, after a few matches, don't wear out as fast as the Pros, and that don't degrade to the rough texture of the Tournagrips.

Thanks!

dwhiteside
10-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I want to add that once I get into tournament play and start playing a lot more competitively I may have to go through the necessary evil of lots of re-overgripping (and restringing), but until then, I want that minimized as much as possible.

Conquistador
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I use Gamma Smart Grip--its really great--A lot of my friends do as well..I think it stays tacky the longest--also it is great because dirt doesnt show up as much as other grips

mtommer
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
They are overgips. They are meant to be replaced frequently. Want you want are replacement grips. Overgrips are simply too thin to warrant standing up for very long. Those who usually retain their overgrips for awhile don't play that much or they don't play that hard.

phucng_10
10-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Yonex Super Grap. I've played with Tourna and Wilson; they're nothing like the Super Grap overgrip.

Lejanius
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I second the Yonnex overgrip. I used to use tournagrip but switched to Yonnex. It lasts a lot longer and remains tacky a long time, I really like it

babolat15
10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
5 sessions with wilson pro isnt bad at al

rabidturtle
10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Third on the Yonnex supergrap, a little thicker, keeps its tackiness, and more durable than a wilson pro overgrip.

some6uy008
10-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Third on the Yonnex supergrap, a little thicker, keeps its tackiness, and more durable than a wilson pro overgrip.

Make that fourth. I tried the Babolat, Unique, Wilson and gamma stuff, but in the end, I always go back to Yonex.

Spatula
10-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Your not happy about 5 session, or 10+ hours on one Wilson Pro Overgrip? What are you expecting out of it? 20 hours? I replace my overgrip every match. I'll use that same overgrip if I have a practice session but fresh overgrip for each match.

Train like you want to fight they say in the military...or practice as you'd compete.

Il Mostro
10-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Supergrap here, too.

dwhiteside
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies!

As for the "overgrips are overgrips - they need to be replaced frequently" argument, I realize there's truth to this, but I made it explicit in my second post that I was talking about MINIMIZING the time in between replacements, not negating it entirely. Surely certain overgrips will wear out quicker than others, even if all overgrips wear out (relatively) quickly. I'm interested in these overgrips that wear out less quickly than others, even if by a (relatively) small margin.

So the consensus here and based on some of the other information I've acquired based on browsing the net and reading reviews on TW's main site is that the Super Graps are a very well liked overgrip for some of the reasons I'm interested in! I'm going to pick up Super Graps, Gamma Supreme, Babolat Pro, and maybe Gamma Smart (DermaGrips). Going with the Gamma's and the Babolat based on a few other suggestions I've seen elsewhere. Hopefully I'll find one that suits me.

Also, if what I want is replacement grips, does that mean I should forego the use of an overgrip entirely? Does anyone not use overgrips at all, and just stick with a replacement grip alone, because of the durability, because you wouldn't have to replace it as much as an overgrip? I'm pretty sure the replacement grip I have is decent, but I've never hit without an overgrip on top of it so I don't know how it would stand up without one, or if it'd be a good idea to do so.

phucng_10
10-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I would just tell you to try out the Gamma Supremes and Super Graps only because the Gamma Smartgrips for sure will tend to get very slippery if your palms are sweaty.

Also, if what I want is replacement grips, does that mean I should forego the use of an overgrip entirely? Does anyone not use overgrips at all, and just stick with a replacement grip alone, because of the durability, because you wouldn't have to replace it as much as an overgrip? I'm pretty sure the replacement grip I have is decent, but I've never hit without an overgrip on top of it so I don't know how it would stand up without one, or if it'd be a good idea to do so.

I'd say there are a handful people who likes to use their synthetic replacement grips without the need of wrapping an overgrip because they'd feel it'll be too uncomfortable. But, if it comes to a leather replacement grip, you're for sure going to want to use an overgrip for that.

For me though, I like using an overgrip because it adds a better layer of tack and makes the grip a bit bigger. The bevel of the replacement grip is still there and it feels just right for me using an overgrip instead of the bare replacement grip.

orangettecoleman
10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
gamma supreme is awesome. it stays tacky way longer than wilson or yonex. it is a little bit thicker and firmer though.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
super grap