PDA

View Full Version : tacky and absorbent overgrips?

sleepydragon
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello everyone,
I am currently using the Gamma Supreme OverGrip, thought it's very good. Do you know any other brand that is better in tackiness and absorbency? My hand gets sweat a lot.
Thanks

nCode747
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
if your hands sweat try tourna grip

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
also try wilson pro...

rabidturtle
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Yonex Supergrap > Wilson Pro> Tournagrip

Booyah
10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
sweaty hands= tournagrip.

Conquistador
10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I am currently using the Gamma Supreme OverGrip, thought it's very good. Do you know any other brand that is better in tackiness and absorbency? My hand gets sweat a lot.
Thanks

Ive tried a lot of overgrips..To me Gamma Supreme is the best in my book. It stays tacky the longest out of anything ive tried..I love it and will use it until I can no longer play the game.

Mdubb23
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Tournagrip easily absorbs more sweat than any other overgrip on the market, although there is next to no tack.

gh65721
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I like Pro Supex overgrips, very tacky.

mikeler
10-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Another vote for Yonex Supergrap. It is very tacky.

sruckauf
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I can't believe no one has recommended Tournagrip 2. Absorband like the original stuff, but some serious tack as well.

do it

TonyB
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone,
Thanks

Ive tried a lot of overgrips..To me Gamma Supreme is the best in my book. It stays tacky the longest out of anything ive tried..I love it and will use it until I can no longer play the game.

I agree 100%. Gamma Supreme is the best. Tournagrip is horrible if you sweat a lot. So are Wilson Pro and Yonex Supergrap. They both get slippery and do not wick the moisture from your hands.

You can certainly try those other brands, but I assume that the reason that you're asking for advice is to avoid spending money on overgrips that won't work. After having tried all of the overgrips recommended so far on this thread, I can honestly say with 100% certainty that the Gamma Supreme is the best.

I actually like the thinner version, Gamma Super Sport, but it's hard to find and TW doesn't sell it. Dick's Sporting Goods has it sometimes. The Supreme is just about the same, but a little thicker.

Lefty5
10-22-2008, 05:25 AM
[QUOTE=TonyB;2804632]I agree 100%. Gamma Supreme is the best. Tournagrip is horrible if you sweat a lot. So are Wilson Pro and Yonex Supergrap. They both get slippery and do not wick the moisture from your hands.
QUOTE]

This is one of the single most erroneous posts I've ever read.

Bundey
10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Yonex SuperGrap, Wilson Pro, and Tourna Grip generally seem to be the most widely accepted on these boards, I've tried all three and personally prefer Wilson Pro.

TonyB
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=TonyB;2804632]I agree 100%. Gamma Supreme is the best. Tournagrip is horrible if you sweat a lot. So are Wilson Pro and Yonex Supergrap. They both get slippery and do not wick the moisture from your hands.
QUOTE]

This is one of the single most erroneous posts I've ever read.

You may think so, but I've tried all of the overgrips that I mentioned. Yonex Supergrap is absolute garbage. You get a little moisture on it and it almost instantly turns into a velvety-textured slippery mess. It's horrible. Here's a review from the TW product page that matches my experience with it:

Comments: I'll start off on a positive note. The grip has a nice long length so you can overlap generously and still reach the top without a problem. Now onto the bad sides. For me, this grip didn't maintain its tack for long. After playing for a day or two, the grip took on a velvety feel that I'm not too fond of. Secondly, the grip feels too cushioned. It gives off a very odd, synthetic feel. Overall, I don't really recommend this grip. However, it could go either way depending on the player. I'll stick with my Tourna Grips.

Tournagrip is almost like a cloth. One friend that I have sweats a moderate amount (not even really heavy) and he has to change his Tournagrip every 2 sets. It looks like a wet towel wrapped around his handle. Here are some comments from the TW product page that are spot-on:

Comments: This grip is very cheap and it really sucks. I decided to try it out but it wore out the first 3 hours i've played. The best grips are PRINCE or BABOLAT because they last way way longer and are tacky.

Comments: Awesome grip, but shreds too easily. Could be more tacky and/or durable.

Comments: I didn't like these very much. My hands and wrists sweat a lot, and these just seem to get very slimy and slick.

Comments: Tourna Grip is a joke. It gave me multiple blisters on my hand because the grip is too hard. It absorbs all the sweat that builds up on your palms and becomes even harder. You need the overgrip to be somewhat tacky and slippery to avoid blisters. I prefer Wilson Pro Overgrip.

And finally, my opinion:

I'll say it again: Gamma Supreme is the best. Give it a try and you'll see. But my guess is that you won't try it, but instead would rather b!tch about MY experience with it. If it was ever discovered that Federer used something OTHER than Wilson Pro overgrips, you'd see everyone switching away from that grip as well. It's just "okay", but the Gamma grips are far better in every category. Here are the TW reviews, probably 99% positive and there are SEVERAL people who have tried all of the aforementioned overgrips as well:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=GSO

phucng_10
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I'll second TonyB's post. Gamma Supreme Overgrip is one of the best tacky overgrip out there.

sleepydragon
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you everyone for telling me your experiences with different overgrips. Like I said, I am currently using the gamma Supreme and I like it so far. I personally think it's better than the Wilson Pro in absorbency. I guess I will try the Yonex Supergrap to just feel it for myself. I did try the Tournagrip but I did not feel much tacky and it gave me blisters.
Stay cool everyone!

Azzurri
10-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Gamma??

Fedace
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I like Pro Supex overgrips, very tacky.

why is that crap so short though ?? did you put it side by side with Wilson pro Overgrips ??? it is short by like 2-3 inches.:shock:

phucng_10
10-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Gamma??

You know it. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-GSO.html

Sucks Wilson Xtra Tack Overgrip is discontinued, otherwise Gamma Supreme and Wilson Xtra Tack would go hand by hand with each other.

Oops, they're not discontinued. They're no longer sold in sporting good stores anymore though from what I've seen.

Petekbladetour1
10-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Tournagrip!

princemidplus
10-25-2008, 07:27 AM
i use Head XtremeSoft grips. find them good with sweat and rain. no slipping yet

dwhiteside
11-01-2008, 01:59 AM
I have very sweaty hands.

I tried Gamma Supreme - it was HORRIBLE for me. Was tacky at first, then it just began to slip and slide as soon as things got wet. Yonex Supergrap was the opposite. Supergrap was tacky even though my hands were incredibly wet.

TonyB reports the exact opposite. He is not lying, and I am not lying. How can this be?

Some people swear by certain overgrips and say they're the best, "objectively". Other people say they're the worst, "objectively".

I've tried 5 overgrips, all 5 have been said to be the worst for sweaty hands and also the best for sweaty hands. What worked personally for me so far has been Supergrap, so that's what I'm using. Gamma Supreme was the worst for me after playing with it for about 30 minutes, because of my sweating. If I had dry hands, Gamma would have been fine. Overgrips are cheap anyways. Spend 20 bucks and get a couple of the well reviewed brands. Try them ALL out. It's the only way to find what fits YOU, not someone else.

Mansewerz
11-01-2008, 09:26 AM
how durable is Gamma supreme and Yonex supergrap over tournagrip?

phoenicks
11-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Tournagrip works for a lot of people who have the same problem as OP.

MagPro
11-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Tourngrip works well for me and I have some sweaty hands. I like the fact that it isnt that spongy, I like a firm grip. Supergrap was too spongy but, absorbed adequately. Tournagrip is nice because I can flip it over and get more use out of it. I will pick up some of the Gamma Supreme and try that out.

dwhiteside
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I *dislike* tournagrip because it isn't spongy (it's spongy initially but very quickly loses that); it feels too thin/dry/clothy when it's worn slightly. Goes to show you that different people prefer different things - everyone has different hands and different subjective experiences!

phucng_10
11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
how durable is Gamma supreme and Yonex supergrap over tournagrip?

Gamma Supreme = Yonex Super Grap > Tournagrip.

rafael17_13@hotmail.com
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
New babolat team tacky 220% absorbent and really tacky so its pretty long lasting and

rafael17_13@hotmail.com
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
New babolat team tacky 220% absorbent and really tacky so its pretty long lasting

Storm_Kyori
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
i use Head XtremeSoft grips. find them good with sweat and rain. no slipping yet

I second that, I use and find it really tacky. It helps if you wipe the sweat off your hands, on a towels or shorts to make it last longer. I use white, so it doesn't last long, but the draker colors might give you some more lifetime.

hellojeffo
12-09-2008, 05:05 AM
As for me, I have a bad case of sweaty palms when playing, and the Tourna II absorbs really well. Thing is, even though it gets soaked up, the tacky feeling is still there. But.... the durability of this grip is another thing.. lasts me about two tennis outings only.

MagPro
12-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Try some of the Babolat grips there pretty nice too.

Mada
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Tournagrip has worked wonderfully for me. I had sweaty hands and it was like my regular grip just turned to "slippery gum", if you will; then I got tournagrip. Very firm and doesn't get slippery at all, I love it. But that's just me, in the end it all comes down to personal preference.