PDA

View Full Version : What is the other sport(s) you have had the most success in?

Camilio Pascual
02-10-2005, 03:52 AM
I'll put in "other" so you can post what it is

Russell Finch
02-10-2005, 04:39 AM
table tennis

atatu
02-10-2005, 06:49 AM
I think basketball/soccer are the most compatible with tennis (footwork) but for me, it was track, I ended up quitting tennis as a teenager, started running track (1500) my senior year and ended up running D2 track in college.

tennisnj
02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
table tennis

couch
02-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I played a lot of sports when I was young, tennis not being one of them, and I think baseball helped me the most. I relate returning a serve and hitting a tennis ball to hitting a baseball. Baseball requires very good hand-eye coordination and I believe this carries over to tennis very nicely, atleast for me.

ibemadskillzz
02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I usually had success in basketball, baseball, football,soccer, ping-pong, hockey, swimming, cross country, track, and lacrosse, I played varsity for most of them.

Camilio Pascual
02-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Do you football/soccer players have good tennis footskills? I played tennis with several Ohio State football players in the 70's and 80's and their footskills were excellent, which really surprised me at first. I remember thinking that football players would be clumsy and slow, but not so. They did lack some flexibility and seemed to do poorly with touch shots.

canady10
02-11-2005, 05:43 AM
I usually had success in basketball, baseball, football,soccer, ping-pong, hockey, swimming, cross country, track, and lacrosse, I played varsity for most of them.

How could you play all those sports...most of them are in the same season as the other.

andfor
02-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Quit tennis shortly after college for about 5 years and took up triathlon. I did OK. Got married, had a kid and had no time to train for it anymore. Went back to tennis in great shape and have slowly gained weight and lots of it since. Trying to reverse the last part and successfully doing so, finally.

kevhen
02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I think basketball is best since their is alot of hand/wrist/foot/eye coordination that can carry over to tennis. Sampras would agree. Baseball is similar but can be harmful since I see too many tennis players with baseball swings but is similar in timing and hitting the ball back up the middle. Ping pong has to be good too but I am pretty average at that and much, much better at tennis where I have more time and court to hit into and footwork and height is more of a bonus.

Powerlifting and tennis I see as opposites. But Andre might argue with that.

cantaloupe
02-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm a pretty good ultimate Frisbee player,

I know a lot of people doesnt think of it as a sport but there are some really good and organized leagues all around North America. Athleticism wise it's comparable to football, without the bumps and bruises, and our team actually has a high school football coach running our reaining regiment.

MAybe when I have time I'l post some pics/videos

PS Only Basketball and volleyballers have higher vertical jumps.

Feņa14
02-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Golf and Cricket

Deuce
02-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Why aren't bowling and darts on the damn list? "One'undredan'FOty!"

Seriously, though, baseball and hockey for me. Was a goalie in hockey. Naturally.

Saito
02-16-2005, 11:32 PM
How could you play all those sports...most of them are in the same season as the other.

(quote referring to ibemadskillzz's post)

hahah good call canady.....

As for me basketball (played in different leagues)..... and I box and train in martial arts (kung fu) as hobbies.

fantom
02-17-2005, 04:56 AM
ibemadskillz........youdefnitlygotzmadskillz

I played basketball and baseball ever until I was 13 or 14. After that I was pretty much hooked on tennis and quit playing the other two competitively.

bleach
02-17-2005, 05:51 AM
I played baseball when I was in high school and did OK. Depending on how you define success and sport, my other would be cycling (road mostly). The reason I question the sport part of the cycling "I do" is that I am not competing, just enjoying. Not sure what was intended here. I wanted to throw that in because some cyclists consider the above to be hate-speech. If success is having great fun and meeting the goal you set for youself, the I am successful at cycling. But I have never raced and don't plan it.

bee
02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I was a pretty good baseball player when I was a kid. In my young adult life I became involved with handball. In many ways that was the ultimate sport for me, and I loved it. But, it's really damaging to the hands! And, it's really a sport that has very little following these days. I developed a numbness and stiffness in my hands and realized I was heading for early arthritis if I kept it up. Many of the professional handballers of years ago, when it had just a little popularity, developed carpal tunnel of the wrists or nerve damage to the hands. It was just too self-destructive. Now, I find tennis to be a good sport for me and I'm happy with that.

tykrum
02-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I scored 8 points in a middle school basketball game once...all on putbacks and lay-ups!

I never played many other sports. Too short and not a super athlete. I think that since I am taking up racquetball now that one day I will be pretty good at it. I am also taking up golf, joining a intermural football league (after realizing at age 19 that I have decent hands), and had a fling with table tennis. Table tennis really isn't that fun when people starting getting into all those stupid crazy spins. If they only allowed topspin, I would be pretty good.

Prostaffer
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
i'm the athlete that could never find a sport.

in grade school i played basketball and tennis at the park by my house. i only played organized soccer my last year.

high school i played soccer for two years, football for one and tennis for 4 years. i never played high school basketball, kept getting cut.

college for a DIII program i played basketball for 3 years and tennis for 4 years.

my whole life i played hockey and i originally started playing soccer to improve my footwork for hockey. eventually my tennis got better and better. my senior year of college i didn't play basketball and found myself in worse condition than i was used too being in for tennis.

I've played hockey, basketball and tennis with pro players. Both competitively in leagues and recreationally for fun. The one thing I notice immediately between all of them is footwork. I know for myself, the biggest problem is that when i move my arms to swing the racquet or to steal a basketball my feet are unwilling to move.

The feet of a pro constantly move, as if their brain does not seperate their upper and bottom halves. Constant motion to get into great position to do everything. Preparation is the key to success and with pro's their footwork gets them in position to succeed 99% of the time. Of course the difference between a good pro and a great pro at anything is hand eye co-ordination. This is more important for sports like baseball and tennis.

Cypo
02-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Horseback riding and rock climbing (both ages ago now)

AndrewD
02-22-2005, 06:18 AM
I played professional football (Australian Rules) for about 16 years, competed at state level in athletics and played Grade cricket.