PDA

View Full Version : "Friday Night Lights' anyone here from....

atatu
02-10-2005, 07:50 AM
West Texas ? I thought it was a pretty good movie, I was wondering how accurate people from West Texas thought the movie was.

david aames
02-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Even Detroit looked better in 8 mile... Man, that was depressing : )

Atatu, just curious -- how is the tennis situation in Austin since Roddick moved in? Is he involved in the local scene at all?

atatu
02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
He's definitely raised the level of tennis awareness. All the newspaper articles mention "Austin resident Andy Roddick" and he showed up for Courier's benefit the other night. Once in awhile word will circulate that he's practicing at this club or that club and people will go out to watch. I watched him practicing with the Davis Cup team before the tie with Belarus. Otherwise, he keeps a pretty low profile, and he's overshadowed by Lance Armstrong's presence, not that either of them really spend a lot of time in town.

david aames
02-10-2005, 08:52 AM
And does he? I thought he had his own tennis court by his house?...

Once in awhile word will circulate that he's practicing at this club or that club and people will go out to watch.

tykrum
02-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I haven't even seen the movie, but I have read articles about the fanatical HS football environment in Texas.

atatu
02-10-2005, 09:21 AM
David, he usually practices at Westwood Country Club (close to his house) or at the Courtyard Tennis Club (they have indoor courts). As far as I know there is one court in the subdivision that he lives in but it's not that great, maybe he'll pay to have it fixed up. He has also been spotted practicing at one of the public tennis centers, but I've only heard of that one time. I think he usually hits at Westwood becaue it's close to his house, and is a private club. That's where I saw the Davis Cup team practicing.

mrwise
02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I personally thought the movie sucked. I wouldn't want to sit through it again. It seems like most movies that revolve around sports are easily watched again and again, but this one was not worth the first watch.

Dopke
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
really? I thought it was pretty good. I thought billy bob did a good job in this one.

atatu
02-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised, it was one of the better sports movies that I've seen lately, although "Remember the Titans" was pretty good also.

tennis-n-sc
02-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I thought it was great and very accurately depicts the fervor of football in Texas, where high school games will often outdraw college games in other areas of the country. The reality is that it depicts the conditions of many places in this country where sports may be the only way to get recognized locally or to get a ticket out of the location to college. There are many, many of these. Those that don't get out often spend their lives reliving their high school glory. That's just the way it is. Other examples in cinema include "All The Right Moves", "Hoosiers" (Dennis Hopper's role)and others. These movies are very meaningful to those who lived something similar to the role, no matter the geography.