PDA

View Full Version : Ball Machines

Mdubb23
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
On the ball machines at my local club, you can control the pace, spin, depth, and height. Just out of curiousity, what controllable features do the ball machines at your local club have?

TennisNinja
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Same as yours.

Mdubb23
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh, and I forgot angle.

Mdubb23
10-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I guess no one but TennisNinja and I use ball machines. :(

autumn_leaf
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
some clubs don't even allow ball machines inside never mind having them themselves.

ball machines are ball machines. higher the price the more options there are.

volusiano
10-27-2008, 02:48 AM
You can also set the interval on how long it takes to shoot out balls consecutively.

There's also something called the 2-line feature, narrow and wide. It basically feeds one ball to your left then one to your right and keeps on alternating like that.

There's a random feature that sweeps the machine left and right continuously and shoots balls out whenever depending on the interval setting. This is called horizontal oscillation.

Then there's also vertical oscillation which varies the height automatically (as opposed to horizontal oscillation).

Some machine claims to be able to mimic player at different levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

Some very high end machine can simulate match play, serve, keeps score (via a camera), and even talks to you.

rjkardo
10-27-2008, 03:54 AM
On the ball machines at my local club, you can control the pace, spin, depth, and height. Just out of curiousity, what controllable features do the ball machines at your local club have?

Our local club does not have a ball machine, but we bought a Tennis Tutor Pro for our use. It has topspin and backspin, interval settings, speed of the ball, height and oscillates.

Mostly, the extras are a waste of time. We used the oscillating feature once.
We use the topspin a bit and never bothered with the slice.

Ball machines are good to grove some strokes and work on your form, but thats about it.

autumn_leaf
10-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Our local club does not have a ball machine, but we bought a Tennis Tutor Pro for our use. It has topspin and backspin, interval settings, speed of the ball, height and oscillates.

Mostly, the extras are a waste of time. We used the oscillating feature once.
We use the topspin a bit and never bothered with the slice.

Ball machines are good to grove some strokes and work on your form, but thats about it.

the slices that a machine pulls out are evil. with mine you can see the logo on the ball after the bounce and it stay less than 1 ft off the ground. set that thing to full slice and oscillating and you're basically doing lunge exercises.

Il Mostro
10-27-2008, 06:53 AM
You can also set up ball machines to do my "favorite" drill, windshield wipers. A great way to run yourself right into the ground.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
10-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Or just have a partner stand five feet in front of you off the base line "T", and toss L-R-L-R (underhand) same drill.

The tennis "stomach crunch".