PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen?

D. Nalbandian
02-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi,
what music do you listen?
I only listen Hip Hop and RNB, like G-Unit, DMX, Mario, Ciara,....
I really like the new 50 Cent song, absolutly perfekt.

Bands like Slipknot are just crazy.

Ronaldo
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Do you wear headphones on the court or just bring a boom box so everyone can jam? 6 am tennis and Wagner here

TripleB
02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Most anything that doesn't have profanity. I have an 8 year old daughter and don't want to have to worry about her learning inappropriate words (at least from me).

Favorite Groups right now: Thousand Foot Krutch, Casting Crowns, Pillar

TripleB

Dedans Penthouse
02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
1. Dickie Do and the Don'ts.

2. A Helsinki band Timmy Teflon and the Non Stick Finnish.

3. Things that include such radical ideas such as (get this!)
having real human beings playing the drums...imagine!

(the great) Duke Ellington: "there's only 2 kinds of music.....good music and bad music."

Audiodude
02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
The Waterboys, Son Volt, Joe Strummer, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Ryan Adams...Talking over a drum machine and or a sample doesn't strike me as talent. Too many poseurs and too much product out there right now for my taste. Thank God for XM.

drakulie
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Old Rock. Zeppelin, Aerosmith (older stuff), Bowie, U2, Inxs, Van Halen (with diamond Dave), etc. PS: Rap sucks!

ChrisNC
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Rolling Stones. I listen to a wide range of music; from Casting Crowns and other Christian bands to Metallica to Rolling Stones.

Brettolius
02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
i really like listening to those record player players...what do they call themselves? d.j.'s. very talented. spin records dog! i hear it's very difficult to play other people's music and then, get this, add someone ELSE'S music on top of that!! novel idea ol' chap...actually it's a stupid idea and it's ridiculous how these people claim to be musicians... like people who do abstract art but can't produce any technical pieces calling themselves artists, and that they just choose to do CRAP. right. if you have a gander, alot of these ABSTRACT artists have no talent, no proof that they have any talent. my dog can spill some paint on a canvas, is he an artist? wait, we were talking about music...

david aames
02-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Shuffling on the iPod at the moment...

The Killers
The Arcade Fire
Willie Hutch
The Game
Damien Rice
Keane
The Postal Service
Ray LaMontagne
50 Cent
My Bloody Valentine
Gwen Stefani
Kanye West

jayserinos99
02-10-2005, 12:16 PM
jazz: coltrane, rh factor, gota

hip-hop: jurassic 5, de la soul, tribe called quest, dilated peoples, pharcyde, hieroglyphics, guru

turntablists and producers: qbert, mix master mike, handsome boy modeling school, dj honda

electronica: jungle, drum & bass, breakbeats
rock: metallica, korn

reggae: marley

hawaiian: bruddah iz

alternative: jimmy eat world, killers, franz ferdinand

the list goes on, but this is just off the top of my head.

Ronaldo
02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Oh wow, thought D meant on court music

lendl lives
02-10-2005, 12:43 PM
i used to be really into listening and playing indie pop. but i noticed it was affecting my competetive fire..... so I have been mainly listening to jazz and sinatra lately.

david aames
02-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Speaking of Hawaian music, you should check out a compilation named 'Bonjour Hawai'. It was released by Bonjour Records, a cult indie label out of Tokyo a few years ago. Fantastic stuff.

hawaiian: bruddah iz

drakulie
02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Don Ho-Tiny Bubbles!

jayserinos99
02-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Speaking of Hawaian music, you should check out a compilation named 'Bonjour Hawai'. It was released by Bonjour Records, a cult indie label out of Tokyo a few years ago. Fantastic stuff.

Good lookin out DA, I've been meaning to score more good music. Unfortunately after a google search I came up with this site in Japanese:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://music.yahoo.co.jp/rock/cd_reviews/barks/20011211/laurvw002.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbonjour%2Bhawaii%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

It doesn't really say where to get it.

NoBadMojo
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
All kinds of stuff, but mostly Rockin Blues these days. Walter Trout is my fav, Joe Bonnamassa, and Stevie Ray of course. I'm with Dedhans on the drum programming and processed music; no contemp jazz for me since then (no more Rippigtons)

david aames
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Your link is for a follow up (remixes). Here's a link to the original. I bought my copy in Japan but indie stores like Other Music/Amoeba might carry it.

http://www.bonjour.co.jp/bonjourrecording_bonjourhawaii.shtml

Good lookin out DA, I've been meaning to score more good music. Unfortunately after a google search I came up with this site in Japanese:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://music.yahoo.co.jp/rock/cd_reviews/barks/20011211/laurvw002.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbonjour%2Bhawaii%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

It doesn't really say where to get it.

tykrum
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't know exactly what the type of music that I like is called, but my favorite bands are Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, The Beatles, O.A.R., Jason Mraz, Weezer, and Incubus. Probably just pop/rock. I also like some hip-hop, mainly Jay-Z, Kanye West, Notorious B.I.G., and Ludacris. Those are really only my favorites though, I have been known to listen extensively to the Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snoop Dog, John Mayer, Pink Floyd, N.E.R.D., Foo Fighters, Guster, Linkin Park, Third Eye Blind, U2, and various movie scores to name a few more. I really love music, if anyone has any suggestions of other good bands I might like go ahead.

gmlasam
02-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I can't stand RAP, but I do listen to classic hard rock, alternative rock, and some 80's music. My favorite is Led Zepp, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Velvet Revolver, Jimi Hendrix, original Van Halen (with David Lee Roth), Whitesnake, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, old Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Duran Duran, Power Station, David Bowie, The Beetles, Cream, Eric Clapton, The Yard B yrds, Jeff Beck, Peter Frampton, Gary Moore, black crows, lenny kravitz, boston, lynard skynard, sex pistols, beach boys, stevie wonder, rush, the ramones, bryan adams, queen, oasis, I can go on forever. ;)

mach1
02-11-2005, 12:42 AM
HIP HOP...i get tired of mainstream rap. Its all about the BEATNUTS!!!

Dedans Penthouse
02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Can you recall: from the album "Doggystyle" I think it was the song "Who am I (What's My Name?)"?? Anyway, when Snoop Dog starts rappin' check out the first line -- who does he sound like??

When I listened to the "rhythm" or the "meter" of THE FIRST LINE IN PARTICULAR, I thought to myself: "damn, this cat (I mean Dog) sounds like Howard Cosell!"

Give a 2nd listen to "Who am I (What's my name?)" and check out the guy's "vocal pacing and 'meter'" --- he's got a lot of Ho-wurd Co-sell in him.

Not a putdown, just an observation --- I like the Shizzolator.

Have a great weekend. Drink like fish --- but get someone elseto drive --- DON'T drive.

Tenny
02-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I began with classical music and still love'em-Favorites are Ravel/Debussy/Faure, Bach. Love the voice of Maria Del Monaco.

My FM radio days in 80s-I like(d) Duran Duran (first 3 albums only), Kajagoogoo (1st album), Eurythmics, A-ha (first 2 albums), and some other 'British New Music bands'.

In my college days, I've broaden my territory. European progressive-Yes' early stuff, ELP, Genesis, some work of King Crimson. Pink Floyd doesn't work for me. Favorite musicians are the members of the band U.K. (Eddie Jobson, Bill Bruford, John Wetton, Allan Holdsworth-UK is my favorite band by far). Early electronic music (Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk). Many excellent italian (Cervello, QVL, New trolls, PFM...), french prog bands (Pulsar, Atoll, Magma...). I discovered the beatles (beautiful!) but the stones didn't work.

Jazz and rock. Art Blakey, Pat Methney, Coltrane, Count Basie, Allan Holdsworth, Bruford's Earthworks, Peggy Lee and Anita O'day. Not a jazz singer but, if I can, I want to steal Frank Sinatra's voice. I love his singing. Rock preference is quite song-dependent. I enjoy some songs of Zeppelin, Deep Purple. I enjoy some songs from Metallica (Enter Sandman), Megadeth (Symphony of destruction), Pantera (This love), Slayer (A season in the abyss) but have difficulty in liking them as a whole. I guess 2 genres I couldn't enter are Thrash Metal (or faster) and Rap.

As a result of my promiscuous taste, I have quite a big collection (>800 LPs, >600 CDs, >1000 Tapes I bought or recorded from radio).

Tenny.

Maybe it'd be easier to list the musicians I couldn't like.
U2, Stones, Cars, Pink Floyd (but I like a couple of their songs-Run Like Hell/One of these days), King Crimson circa 73-74, Any great bands who reunited... Generally I like earlier stuff of any bands.

thejackal
02-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I like AC/DC, Aerosmith and rock in general. Techno a bit of rap once in a while.

court_zone
02-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I listen to a bit of everything. I mostly like softer rock. Maroon5, Gavin Degraw, Dave Matthews Band, Usher, Black Eyed Peas, 50 cent, Mario, Eminem, Green Day, Nelly, Frankie J, Jesse McCartney, Ryan Cabrera, and more favs.

chief78
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Mostly heavy metal Van Halen (w/ david Lee Roth) Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Megadeth, Nirvana, Led Zep, and some rap. I live in a big city in the south so I can't really help but to get used to hearing it.

BatCode
02-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Steely Dan, Donald ***en and Walter Becker.

Jazz: Sonny Rolins, Coltrane, Davis, Parker, Ornette Coleman, Dexter Gordon, Benny Golson, David Sanbourn, Eric Dolphi, Eric Alexander, Wayne Shorter, Horrace Silver, Herbie Hancock, Kenny Burrel, Barney Kessel, Pat Martino, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, etc etc

Phil
02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
1. Dickie Do and the Don'ts.

2. A Helsinki band Timmy Teflon and the Non Stick Finnish.

3. Things that include such radical ideas such as (get this!)
having real human beings playing the drums...imagine!

(the great) Duke Ellington: "there's only 2 kinds of music.....good music and bad music."

Amen, Brother Dedans, to #3...Drums. What a concept. Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Keith Moon, the drummer for the band "Love", Miles Copeland...I only listen to drums-I have an electronic filter that erases the rest of the instruments. Percussion is the key that unlocks the soul...wait, did I just write that drivel???...

Hewitt rulez
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Rock, mainly Story of the Year, Auto Pilot off, and Thrice.

ShooterMcMarco
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
pretty much everything (yes, some country music is tolerable for me).

i like my instrumental classics collection, romantic classics cd, and jim brickman. linkin park, dashboard confessional, taking back sunday, nickelback, john mayer, u2, incubus, maroon 5, sugarcult, the matches, nirvana, blink 182, beach boys, simon and garfunkel, creedence clearwater revival, beatles, elvis, rat pack music, the rocky story, beegees, other various oldies (grew up to it).

i like some* rappers. a few of p.diddy's and jay . some of nelly's.

Saito
02-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Preferably 80 classic rock on mp3 player, my cellphone w/headset, or boombox if w/ good company, but have listened to alternative or current top 40 stations. Really depends on my mood I guess but music definitely makes tennis that much more fun IMO of course :mrgreen: :D

deflori
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM

Brettolius
02-17-2005, 10:05 AM
that's not underground here in the states!

deflori
02-17-2005, 11:16 AM

Boja
02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I like rock, stuff like Grady, Big Sugar, The Headstones, Bullmoose, The Trews, Thornley, Big Wreck to name a few.

To the guy who named Stevie Ray Vaughn, Chris Layton from Double Trouble is now in Grady. Excellent band.

Baseline Basher
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Headphones make you look cool.

Mixes, which include but are not limited to: Linkin Park, Godsmack, Guttermouth, Brand New, Jet, Dashboard Confessional.

sambapati
03-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I listen to almost anything and my favourtite artists are from more than one genre. It also depends where I am and what mood I`m in. What I might listen to driving in my car, I wouldn`t necesarily listen to at home. Music at home isn`t what I want to hear when I`m out at the club....
Lately, my new thing is Neo-soul. By this I mean Musiq Soulchild, Eryka Badu, India Arie, Duwele,Jill Scott etc...
I also like rappers with something half intelligent to say, or have clever lyrics.
For example, Common, Mos Def, Q-tip, Talib, etc (short list these days unfortunately!)

ChipNCharge
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Pearl Jam, Charley Pride, Kraftwerk, Conway Twitty

rommil
03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
marilyn manson, korn,linkin park,bjork,radiohead,but always listen to prodigy's fat of the land if need to be pumped up. never fails.....

127 mph
03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Yannik Noah
METALLICA
Megadeth
Police
Loverboy
Kelly Clarkson

battousai555
03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Ha, I'm listening to slipknot right now. Yeah, they're crazy and so am I. I like all kinds of music: All forms of rock, rap, hip hop, techno, trance, some japanese anime music.

10splaya
03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Rooney***
Franz Ferdinand
Simple Plan
Maroon 5

A.Roddick
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
i love

hip-hop,RnB,rap
i listen
50 cent,olivia,g unit,omarion,usher,lil jon,eminem,chingy,nelly,st. lunatics,snoop dogg,pharell,nate dogg,213,dmx...

i dont like

jadakiss,fat joe,ja rule,stat quo...rock,soul,jazz,punk,pop...

VashTheStampede
03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Asian Kung Fu Generation's pretty good. I don't understand the words, but the tune's good.:)

Scheiner
03-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I love hearing punk, ska, any type of rock, most types of metal, and techno/electronica

tennis ace
03-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I listen to any rock, and some rap( just the few songs that actually sound musical).

tennis ace
03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Sorry for this, I listen to classical music too.

!<-_->!
03-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Listen to a bit of everything, but mostly rock and the sort.

Currently into: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Chevelle, Jack Johnson, Linkin Park, Smile Empty Soul, and Jimmy Eat World.

!<-_->!
03-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Listen to a bit of everything, but mostly rock and the sort.

Currently into: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Chevelle, Jack Johnson, Linkin Park, Smile Empty Soul, and Jimmy Eat World.

Geppetto
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Latest faves on the CD changer in the car include Lori McKenna, Mark Knopfler, Steve Vai, and Norah Jones. Go figure.