PDA

View Full Version : why don't pros use the real liquid metal mid?

lendl lives
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Seems like everyone has a lm mid paint job. They are really bad pj's the four liquid metal sections just can't be painted very well. What are they really using? Do you think the juniors coming up with play with the liquid metal mids in future and have them under their paint jobs later?

AndrewD
02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Not all of them are using paintjobs, just it would seem, the most highly visible ones like Safin etc. Quite a few of the women have changed directly to the LM range - Miskina etc. Sure, once they get used to one racquet the only way they're going to change is if they like the next one even more. Makes you wonder just how good the LM Prestige is when they can't get the kids to make the switch. I understand established pros like Safin not wanting to change but you'd think a kid like Monfils would be happy to swap IF the racquet was better than the old one. Perhaps it isnt.

lendl lives
02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
yeah i saw monfils pj in the new tennis magazine. I've tried the previous prestige and I don't like it as much. the lm mid for me seems like the best raquet out there. it controls pace better than any other raquet out there. i used it when hitting with a top ranked national junior player and i felt i could hit it back much harder. my stringer says the down side is it sprays balls. i haven't seen that yet.

lendl lives
02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
donald young used a lm prestige in the easter bowl win. not sure if it was a paint job or if it was a mid or mid plus. another thread says he's using the radical now.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Previous Prestige was intelligence and it is worse. But those 2 before intelligence - Classic and Tour are told that much better than lm and int.

ClemsonTennis9
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
im probably the only person who has liked the i.prestige, it was a little bit stiffer and it gave some more power to your shots.

Ryoma Kun
02-10-2005, 03:47 PM
i LOVED the i.prestige mid+ standard

hummer23
02-10-2005, 04:41 PM
i hated that frame. peice of crap for feel, and the mid wasnt much better.

verdasco67
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
i thought donald used the i prestidge + LM Radical PJ?

AndrewD
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
At the Aus Open he was using a paintjob that looked more like the red of an LM Prestige but, strangely, each time I saw a pic of him the writing on his frame only ever said LiquidMetal - no Radical or Prestige. Patty Schnyder was using an LM paintjob as well

barry
02-11-2005, 01:31 AM
If you ever hit with a Liquid Metal racket you would know why pro's use the older models. New ones are not stable and play way to stiff, probably way Head is coming out with a new line.

BLiND
02-11-2005, 02:19 AM
You've obviously never played with an LM Prestige

lendl lives
02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
i agree with blind

barry
02-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Blind

I played 5 years with a Ti.Radical, tried the new Lm Rad and used a LM Prestige for a month. Both of the Lm's are stiff and have no feel. Probably why the pro's do not use them.
Head is coming out with a new line, hope they go back to the Ti model, it was better than the LM junk.

hummer23
02-12-2005, 07:50 AM
barry, you ever play with an i radical? i thought the feel on htose was pretyt good, and it was a good all around frame? why'd you stick to the ti?

Ronaldo
02-12-2005, 07:57 AM
LM line seems to stiffen the hoop. If you lower tension significantly, like between 40-45#, they're sweet sticks and your strings last a very long time. Strings move like a bowl of Ramen noodles coated with olive oil though.

spksz
02-12-2005, 08:27 AM
is the prestige classic more flexible than the rest of the prestige racquets ever made? like the Lm, i, prestige tour?

pstour90
02-12-2005, 02:27 PM
guys:i agree with barry totally. the lmprestige is possibly the worst feeling stick ever...same with the lmrad. the prestige classic had such great feel and was such a good racquet...the sticks have gone downhill from there...as for the TIrad, its actually a very good racquet for its weight range

Nadal_Rulz
02-12-2005, 03:16 PM
ya, seems like many people who sported the ti. radical then the i. radical thought the lm kinda flopped. so did I. played with my friends and stuck to my 6 year old 5.2, i finally switched to the n6.1, great stick

ffrpg
02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
is the prestige classic more flexible than the rest of the prestige racquets ever made? like the Lm, i, prestige tour?

The Prestige Classic is more flexible than the i.prestige, but more stiffer than the LM Prestige. The Prestige Classic is somewhere in between.

spksz
02-13-2005, 05:27 AM
what about weight? lighter or heavier than the i and lm prestige mids?

fedex27
02-13-2005, 06:47 AM
wanna know why they dont use the new racquets? well what their using has gotten them to be the top players in the world. why would they switch. also they like how it feels and why change that either. plus they get the benefits of getting paid to play with a pj of the new racquet.

PrestigeClassic
02-13-2005, 09:12 PM
The Prestige Classic is more flexible than the i.prestige, but more stiffer than the LM Prestige. The Prestige Classic is somewhere in between.

Prestige Classic is more flexible than any Prestige that has come after it. Those sponsored can get their rackets in more than one flex.

PrestigeClassic
02-13-2005, 09:27 PM
what about weight? lighter or heavier than the i and lm prestige mids?

Forgot about the i.prestige, but the last PC's weighed 12.0/12.1 ounces. LM Prestige is heavier, and it has a synthetic grip to boot. From what I can tell, the first thing a lot of pros do is to replace a synthetic grip with leather or whatever their particular grip is, even if they have to buy the rackets. Then other weighing since almost any Prestige or other model is too light for them anyway. The only thing in common might be the mold.

lendl lives
02-14-2005, 07:47 AM
i feel the lm mid is a flexible raquet. gosen at 62lbs. anyone tried gosen strings? i like them so far. the strings feel a littel sticky.

the pros have adapted to newer raquets over time. i wonder if the lm mid will be a great raquet in the future. i love it. i do agree though that a more powerful and lighter stick can help you when your on the defensive or on the run. the goal with a stick like a lm mid is not to put yourself in that situation. btw i am a 4.5/5.0 league player. my ground stokes are 5.0 my serve 4.5.

i just cant get over the feeling i had hitting with this top ranked national junior. no other raquet gave me the ability to feel like i could out hit him fromt he baseline like the lm mid did. the other raquets where good but felt less stable and less able to drive or plow through the ball.

i agree that your technique can keep the ball in. (just saw a-rod at the sap). the first thing in his mind on every groundie is topspin.

robbieb
02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
surprisingly i found the lmp nicer than my dad's pc600. im gonna be hated for saying that comment :P

bertrevert
02-14-2005, 05:36 PM
i just cant get over the feeling i had hitting with this top ranked national junior. no other raquet gave me the ability to feel like i could out hit him fromt he baseline like the lm mid did. the other raquets where good but felt less stable and less able to drive or plow through the ball.

oops I just realised this is in the Pro Players section...

Aykhan Mammadov
02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
why don't pros use the real liquid metal mid?

These racquets were made from metal outside, but consists of liquid inside. During topspins and any sharp movement the liquid inside may flow out resulting in very light weight of the racquet itself. After that a PRO ( I know this based on my own experience) must throw the racquet and change it because normally we can't play with light racquets. In order not to change racquets very often PROs preffers playing with old Tour frames.

BLiND
02-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Well this is strange because while the LM Radical is stiff... both the LM Prestige Mid & MP are flexy (esp mid).

I would suggest you make sure its strung correctly, becaues they are very suseptible to bad/tight string jobs... and feel horrible!

AndrewD
02-15-2005, 02:23 AM
The simple answer is, some have and some haven't. You dont mess with a winning game and you dont go changing your equipment if you dont need to. So, those that had a valid and preferred alternative to the LM range didn't change, those that didn't have one did make the switch. Myskina, Mirza and Kuznetsova switched to the LM Instinct (obviously doing no harm to their games). Schnyder and Dechy stuck with their old Head frames painted up to look like the LM Prestige.

Perhaps the key thing, with those who havent made the switch, is that Head got it right a long time ago with the Prestige and any changes just move it away from that already attained optimum playability (for the pros). The Instinct, on the other hand, might represent a type of frame Head either previously didn't have available or hadn't done as well as they had the Prestige.

kv581
02-15-2005, 07:22 AM
why don't pros use the real liquid metal mid?

These racquets were made from metal outside, but consists of liquid inside. During topspins and any sharp movement the liquid inside may flow out resulting in very light weight of the racquet itself. After that a PRO ( I know this based on my own experience) must throw the racquet and change it because normally we can't play with light racquets. In order not to change racquets very often PROs preffers playing with old Tour frames.
Hahahaha. Oh wait, this is a joke, yes?

TennisD
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow, I think this is a dumb question. I mean, come on. Do you expect a pro to just up and change the racquet they are comfortable with every 18 months (the average shelflife of a racquet) just because the company tells them to? Of course not! That's just a stupid idea. God, even most top juniors don't do so. I play with several top players sponsored by Head and Yonex that use frames from at least one, and sometimes several generations back! Even I personally play with a PC600, with an i.Prestige paintjob, and custom weight/balance. In fact, I think it's the best racquet I've ever tried. It easily beats the i.Prestige AND LM Prestige in my books! If you are comfortable with it, why switch?

barry
02-16-2005, 05:16 AM
TennisD

The point of all this is "Why buy a new racket if it does not improve your tennis?". Obvious the LM's are not good enough for pro's to change, so why should I.
I tried both the LM Prestige and the LM Radical, of the two I think the Prestige was better but not as good as the old Ti.Radical.
Head is coming out with outdated frames so maybe they got the message.

TennisD
02-16-2005, 07:18 AM
I see what you are saying, yes.

Yondan
02-17-2005, 12:10 PM
I searched for Guillermo Garcia-Lopez on Getty Images and I saw what looks like a real Liquidmetal Prestige Mid. The LM bumps do not look painted on, but I could definitely be mistaken.

BLiND
02-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Yeah your right, it does look like a real LM Prestige... wow! :-)

amadextor
02-18-2005, 03:29 AM
I spoke with the guy who strung for Davydenko at Kremlin Cup and he swears that the guy is using real, off the shelf LM prestige.

BLiND
02-18-2005, 05:52 AM
No chance, he was using an i.Prestige... you could tell because the throwt was not flat.

TennisD
02-18-2005, 07:49 AM
No chance, he was using an i.Prestige... you could tell because the throwt was not flat.
Not neccesarily. I've seen classic prestiges with a different frame shape, as to mimic the I.Prestige throat.

lendl lives
02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
when i saw a-rod in the sap final he tuned this dude sounier. the kid pulled off a few good shots and had a head raquet. once i yelled out "yeah liquid metal" during a quite spot and he looked up and then at his stick. LOL

TennisD
02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Seems like everyone has a lm mid paint job. They are really bad pj's the four liquid metal sections just can't be painted very well. What are they really using? Do you think the juniors coming up with play with the liquid metal mids in future and have them under their paint jobs later?
To answer your question, most of the guys I know (I train and play matches regularly (today in fact) with several top 100 juniors and one guy in the top 10), do not use the Liquid Metal racquets. They use Prestige Classics with PJs (like me), or even older Radicals (Ti, or I.). I was actually playtesting the LM Prestige before it came out (and have now playtested the Flexpoint Radical), and did not like the LM Prestige as much as my Classic, and stuck with it. So did the other guys.

Gotta go guys, I have to prepare for my next ITF tourneys. I have been injured, and I'm just coming back into it right now. Playing well too! Points and ranking, here I come!

lendl lives
02-18-2005, 11:02 AM
well the guy i hit with is in the top 20 national juniors and he uses the liquid metal! ha. oh....but they wouldn't sponser him so he's switching to babolat.

lendl lives
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
i've never really tried the older heads i love my prestige lm mid. i am upset that one is heavier than the other still. i think head may make the best raquets overall.