PDA

View Full Version : Super Grap = Wilson Pro. No questions asked.

ogruskie
10-23-2008, 03:22 PM
If you were to give me a racquet with WP, and a racquet with SG, I would NOT be able to distinguish them (assuming there wasn't a logo on the finishing tape). It all comes down to whether you like seeing Wilson or Yonex on your grip. That is all.

I still prefer Pro Supex overgrips over everything else.

Cup8489
10-23-2008, 03:27 PM
actually, i CAN feel the difference. to me, SG is a little less tacky, and a little softer. the kind of grip i would put on leather, while WP is what i'd use on like Babolat Syntec. it's tackier, and feels a little thinner but harsher to me.

and i use generic black finishing tape, and even tried it with two identical frames with same everything (didnt put the grips on, had my gf do it, and i could tell which was which)

ogruskie
10-23-2008, 03:33 PM
actually, i CAN feel the difference. to me, SG is a little less tacky, and a little softer. the kind of grip i would put on leather, while WP is what i'd use on like Babolat Syntec. it's tackier, and feels a little thinner but harsher to me.

and i use generic black finishing tape, and even tried it with two identical frames with same everything (didnt put the grips on, had my gf do it, and i could tell which was which)

Wilson Pro used to be extremely tacky, and I loved it. However, somewhere in February/March all the WP's that I bought felt very worn down, as if I've already played several matches using that grip.

nyc
10-23-2008, 03:49 PM
They feel very different to me, especially after a little bit of wear.

ODYSSEY Mk.4
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
no way do they feel the same

phucng_10
10-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Grap is no where equal to Wilson Pro Overgrip. Trust me and others that said it is no where near equal to it.

If you have actually tried both out, you would feel that the Wilson Pro has a sandy feeling and not much tack (well there is tack but it dies out within a few hours of hitting). Then if you compared the Wilson Pro to the Super Grap, the Super Grap has a tacky feeling from the beginning of when you started to hit till the end. The tacky feeling stays on and it and doesn't die out within a few hours like Wilson Pro.

martin8768
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Super Grap is no where equal to Wilson Pro Overgrip. Trust me and others that said it is no where near equal to it.

If you have actually tried both out, you would feel that the Wilson Pro has a sandy feeling and not much tack (well there is tack but it dies out within a few hours of hitting). Then if you compared the Wilson Pro to the Super Grap, the Super Grap has a tacky feeling from the beginning of when you started to hit till the end. The tacky feeling stays on and it and doesn't die out within a few hours like Wilson Pro.

agree, did a blind fold test with Wpro, yy sg and wilson supertack and identified each one, then proceeded to play 3 hours with each grip and supergrap felt the best afterwards. your results may vary, btw i have really sweaty hands.

rich s
10-23-2008, 06:22 PM
The SG also lasts longer than the Wilson.....

ogruskie
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I have no idea how you guys can distinguish the difference. I sure as hell can't.

Super Grap is pretty tacky in the beginning, but that tackiness goes away after several hours of hard hitting. Then its just a dry, tackless grip. Like Wilson Pro.

autumn_leaf
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
supergrap is thicker so i would notice fairly quickly.

i agree that it gets less tacky pretty quickly especially if it gets dirty, but then i like the nice soft feel of it more than tackiness.

phucng_10
10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I have no idea how you guys can distinguish the difference. I sure as hell can't.

Super Grap is pretty tacky in the beginning, but that tackiness goes away after several hours of hard hitting. Then its just a dry, tackless grip. Like Wilson Pro.

I can tell the difference by what I like to feel when my palm is grabbing the racquet handle. Then again, that's only my opinion on how to differentiate between each and every grip I have played with.

I used to play with Wilson Pro Overgrip but those weren't lasting as long as I thought it would. Usually, I play for about 4-5 hours on a school day where there is no homework and 1-2 hours on school day where I have a bunch of homework. The Wilson Pro Overgrip would last about 2 days for me on a no homework day. It just changes to a really gray/black because of my sweaty/dirty hands. After the color changed on the White Pro Overgrip, I would just feel that there is no more grip to the overgrip and I have to change it. Pretty much, a pack of 3 Wilson Pro Overgrips would last me a week. If you like a sandy feeling with not much tack to it, then get yourself some Wilson Pro Overgrips. It's one of the best overgrips sold out there so give it a try.

Tournagrip, it's a superb grip when you play during Spring/Summer for those who have sweaty hands. The color doesn't change as quick as the Wilson Pro but you will most likely get blisters if you don't build calluses on your palm. I have gotten plenty of blisters on my hand because of Tournagrip and it's usually around my index finger (3rd column of my index near the palm). A doctor suggested me to use athletic tape to put a thin layer around the blister area but I didn't listen to him and kept on playing. Every time that I do not grip my racquet correctly, having the racquet twist in my hand, would move my healed blister and turn it into a blister. So then a friend had some athletic tape one day, got a thin piece of it, wrapped it around my finger and I got to play for the whole day without worrying to have a reoccurring blister. One of the problems I had with Tournagrip was that, if I wrapped my athletic tape around my index finger, it would wear out the grip faster. Pretty much it caused the grip to tear apart around the area I would usually grip my hand. I'm not saying that Tournagrip is bad if you haven't built up any calluses, it's a great grip overall for those who has sweaty palms. Thing is, it has a very dry feeling that only works best when your hand is wet (I'm not saying go wet your hand and then play with the Tournagrip, it has to be naturally sweat).

Last but not least, the Yonex Super Grap. Just a side note, hope I'm not getting anyone sleepy while reading my wall of text. It's almost done, lol.

Alright, so the Yonex Super Grap, it was a huge change from the Wilson Pro Overgrip and the Tournagrip. I thought that my days with the Tournagrip will never end but switching over to the Yonex Super Grap made me think twice about that. The tack is just fantastic when you freshly grip it. After a few hours of play, it will be working as it was when you first gripped it. Having to use athletic tape still, it didn't seem like there was any wear or tear around the area of gripping. Looked new after those few hours of hitting. It maintains tackiness because the grip also absorbs sweat like the Tournagrip does. Overall, I think I'm going to fall in love with the Yonex Super Grap for the next couple of years. I'm still experimenting to see if the colors would actually affect play because there was a thread asking about whether colored grips would affect play. So I have an unopened box of Yonex Super Grap black that I'll be playing with it soon. Out of all the 3 grips I've explained, this is the grip I would rate 10/10. If you get the chance to try it, I say take that chance and you won't regret it!

[ GTR ]
10-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Supergrap has more durability and tack in the long run and some people like to use the back side of it...

Wilson pro is very tacky at the start and after that it's just goes downhill fast...

Supergrap plays good till the end.

I've also noticed that the wilson pros rip after a while while my supergraps don't...

Lefty5
10-24-2008, 06:40 AM
I had thought it was a well known fact that Wilson and Yonnex get it out of the same exact factory in China and then put a different package on it. What you think is variablility between grips might be natural variability in the manufacturing process?

shoesandko
10-24-2008, 07:36 AM

I totally agree with this statement, and as others have said you can flip over and use the other side on the supergrap and it works OK. Although If you use leather then the back side is unusable.

Il Mostro
10-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I had thought it was a well known fact that Wilson and Yonnex get it out of the same exact factory in China and then put a different package on it. What you think is variablility between grips might be natural variability in the manufacturing process?

"Well know fact"? You are absolutely clueless. Supergrap materials are made in Japan and cut in Indonesia. Not *one* point of your "well known fact" is correct.

Al Czervik
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I have had times where I thought this. Some rolls each have that same exact weird notch at the bottom, so I figured it is the same factory.

I do believe they are slightly different and supergrap is slightly thicker. That said, not all rolls of Wilson Pro are the same. They seem to vary in terms of softness and thickness.

Il Mostro
10-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I have had times where I thought this. Some rolls each have that same exact weird notch at the bottom, so I figured it is the same factory.

I do believe they are slightly different and supergrap is slightly thicker. That said, not all rolls of Wilson Pro are the same. They seem to vary in terms of softness and thickness.

I know exactly what you are referring to: that jagged cut at the starting end. If I am not mistaken, Wilson is also cut and packaged in Indonesia -- the material is possibly manufactured there too (the inconsistency in the product is a good clue too). No big mystery about the similarities in the cut -- both companies utilize contract manufacturers, so it may very well be (and probably very likely) that the same contract manufacturer is doing the cutting for both companies. Realistically, there are only so many companies worldwide that can be engaged in this niche segment.

mikeler
10-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I've been a Supergrap fan for years. Tournagrip is pretty good too, but I can only use it in the cooler months b/c it gets very slippery when I sweat.

ogruskie
10-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I went through my second grip. It took 6 hours for the grip to become very gray and frayed in several spots. Its severely dry right now. Reminds me of Tourna.

phucng_10
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I went through my second grip. It took 6 hours for the grip to become very gray and frayed in several spots. Its severely dry right now. Reminds me of Tourna.

That's why my point is that you cannot say Super Grap = Wilson Pro because after 4-5 hours of play, the tack is already gone.

ogruskie
10-25-2008, 11:32 PM
That's why my point is that you cannot say Super Grap = Wilson Pro because after 4-5 hours of play, the tack is already gone.

The tack lasts about the same for Pro and Grap, at least for me. I just can't tell the difference between the two. Both initially tacky, then become dry and frayed. I like Super Grap the first hour or so before the tack is gone. I'll have to regrip twice a week. Usually Monday through Friday I practice, so feel isn't THAT significant. However, I play matches with people on the weekends so my racquet must be in ideal condition, its gotta feel JUST RIGHT.

I'm gonna stick with my Pro Supex overgrips. Comfort at its finest. Even over a leather grip underneath it, I feel like I'm playing with a squishy replacement grip.