PDA

View Full Version : PD Std stiffness/comfort question

Morpheus
02-21-2004, 06:12 PM
The review for the PD indicated that it is a forgiving, comfortable racket, yet the thing has a flex rating of 70. I've been staying away from stiff rackets because they tend to send a lot of shock up my arm. Am I wrong about the PD?

How stiff does it really feel (compared to other "stiff" rackets)?

robkat
02-21-2004, 07:16 PM
In my experince with the PD/PD+....If you string within the woofer range 50-57 lbs.. it helps neagte the stiffness of the frame. The frame plays comfortable below 57lbs with a poly or multi string. I have used Luxilon TiMo and BB Ace, as well as , Xcel and Laserfibre Supreme, all between 53-57 lbs, the polys at 53/54 and the Multis at 57. I never thought the PD/PD+ played as stiff as a rating of 70 would indicate within the tension range. I also strung in the mid 60s and felt ,at that tension the Frame play very stiff.

jun
02-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Some people think PD std is very harsh on the arm...

From most of people I have seen, they seem to like the comfort level of PD std. I know a person who has had arm trouble, and found PD std to be the most comfortable racket he has ever hit with...

But once you go above 57 or 58 lb, then it doesn't feel as smooth.

If you have arm trouble look into volkl rackets...They make some sweet rackets.

James Brown
02-21-2004, 07:48 PM
it's a very stiff racquet. The pure drive + is very uncomfortable and unforgiving, powerful but no comfort. The pure drive has no feeling really, its dead. And it does hurt the arm, i stopped using it. Its too light, and uncomfortable. Plenty of power but no feeling. Plus it makes you look like a ******. :> Id say demo....demo....demooooooooo, and then demo a pure control. :> good luck

Morpheus
02-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the input. I play a Volkl today, but am in the hunt for my next racket (my C8 is extinct). I am demoing the PBB, PC and, based on the comments herein, the PD. I typically string up on the low side of the specified range, so the woofer may help soften the frame. Well see.

Morpheus

Thunnus
02-21-2004, 09:13 PM
PD/PD+s are pretty comfortable rackets with a huge sweetspot. Are they stiff? Sure, but they are also pretty comfortable. How stiff those rackets that grandmas use? If comfort is your priority, look elsewhere. But, these are pretty comfortable rackets. I have used them with very stiff string (TiMo) without any discomfort whatsoever.