PDA

View Full Version : WTA under skirt question.

Tenny
02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Please censor me cause I have a question regarding female players' under-wear question. Also I haven't seen any recreational players doing this so I am posting here-general pro player discussion.

Example is Maria Sharapova. I frequently saw her sticking a ball (to something hidden under) her skirt. Is there any ball holding equipment to wear for female players? Why don't their tennis skirts have a pocket or two like men's shorts? I think Tracy Austin's pink dress-pocket on it was very cute although inside the dress was a supreme warrior.

T.

Tennis Guy
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
They have a pocket on the inside.

Fee
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Some of the tennis shorts and tennis 'undies' have ball pockets. Some do not. Sometimes I play with plain old bike shorts under my skirt and I just shove a ball up the leg and hope that the spandex will hold it (it usually does). Before they actually started putting ball pockets on them, we would just shove the ball under the leg and hope the elastic would hold it.

I prefer skirts with pockets, but it seems only Balle de Match makes them these days.

WW Volley
02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I prefer skirts with pockets, but it seems only Balle de Match makes them these days.

That is far too practical for women. Clearly the designers are men, who love to see that skirt come up each time a woman has to shove a ball under there.

Like you, I wonder why the heck more skirts don't have pockets on the outside.

AndrewD
02-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Remember Arantxa Sanchez got around that by having a little ball holder at the back?

ucd_ace
02-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Lol... I think the "undies" are usually referred to as "bloomers." A lot of tennis clothing has pockets for balls, but I know a lot of girls who just wedge them up there to where the skirt is holding the ball against the leg... they'll do it with shorts too. Seems to work fine from my observations. I haven't really seen girls trying it that are new to it though so maybe it's the experience.

Ronaldo
02-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Some of us wish sweaty guys would use those ball clips rather than ruin the balls by sticking them into their pockets.

Superior_Forehand
02-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Some of us wish sweaty guys would use those ball clips rather than ruin the balls by sticking them into their pockets.....

What??

Mikael
02-11-2005, 05:50 AM
He's right. Sometimes I play with guys that sweat a lot, and I mean a lot. And when they put a ball in their pocket it becomes very humid and feels heavier afterwards.

Rickson
02-11-2005, 06:09 AM
The woman just sticks the ball in between her skirt and her outer thigh.

joehight
02-11-2005, 07:40 AM
That is far too practical for women. Clearly the designers are men, who love to see that skirt come up each time a woman has to shove a ball under there.

Like you, I wonder why the heck more skirts don't have pockets on the outside.

I kind of like to watch the women lifting up that skirt to go after the ball or to put one there for safe keeping. Gives an added dimension to watching the women's game.

Fee
02-11-2005, 08:26 AM

No, the woman does not, but thanks for playing.

WW Volley
02-11-2005, 09:16 AM
I kind of like to watch the women lifting up that skirt to go after the ball or to put one there for safe keeping. Gives an added dimension to watching the women's game.

You're a skirt designer, aren't you? ;)

tennis-n-sc
02-11-2005, 12:41 PM

We need to have a long talk about women, their clothing and and personal habits. Give me a call, we'll do lunch.

Tenny
02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
just shove the ball under the leg and hope the elastic would hold it.

Thanks Fee (and others).
But what if the ball's dirty or just killed a stray big bug on the court etc... or doen't it hinder your movement? They (tennis wear companies) just need to put one small pocket on skirts. Anyway, it's now much clearer to me.

Ten.

bc-05
02-11-2005, 01:24 PM
yes and can i come too? make sure u bring a model with u so we can do a demo...

darkavgr
06-28-2005, 02:46 AM
They have a pocket on the inside.

Yeah..its an upside down pocket..i.e. the mouth of pocket faces down cos
ball is tucked in bottom up.
Specifically sewn to fit tennis ball.

Stormy1
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Most tennis skirts nowadays have short-shorts attached to them. I only buy those, I can't be bothered with bloomers.

MegacedU
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Please censor me cause I have a question regarding female players' under-wear question. Also I haven't seen any recreational players doing this so I am posting here-general pro player discussion.

Example is Maria Sharapova. I frequently saw her sticking a ball (to something hidden under) her skirt. Is there any ball holding equipment to wear for female players? Why don't their tennis skirts have a pocket or two like men's shorts? I think Tracy Austin's pink dress-pocket on it was very cute although inside the dress was a supreme warrior.

T.
There's shorts attached to the dress and on the leg of those shorts there is a little spandex pouch just big enough to hold the ball. Skirts have them too.