PDA

View Full Version : Playmate Volley Owners

emanresu
10-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I just received my Volley a few days ago and got a few questions about it. This is my first ball machine so I have nothing else to compare it to unfortunately.

When you guys received your machine, was there any sign of it being used already? After taking it out to the court yesterday, I noticed there was some ball fuzz already on the wheels and some more inside the mechanical area. Also, one of the large wheels is a bit slanted and not straight like the other side. The ball fuzz might be from manufacturer testing before shipping out, though I'm not sure if this standard.

As for the packaging, it came in the original Playmate box, but mine was taped and all the original staples were already removed.

I read that the ball throw on the Playmate is noted for it's consistency. After using it for the first time yesterday though, I'm not sure if it's operating like designed. Setting the width to narrow, 0, which is supposedly 1 line only, sometimes the ball would land on my backhand. This happened on numerous balls, and all of mine are new Tretorn Micro-X. Some balls also bounced higher and/or lower than others, so I'm really not sure how to define "consistency" for this machine. I did notice one of the smaller wheels wasn't locked down so maybe this was the cause for the somewhat "inconsistent" throws. All the balls still passed the net fine so did I expect too much?

Overall I'm happy with the machine, but if I received a used one instead of a new one, I need to contact the retailer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

10isNE1?
10-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I got the same model at the beginning of the summer. I have been extremely happy with it. It has been flawless. There was no ball fuzz anywhere when I opened it and it was well packed. The machine will "walk" a bit unless you use the wheel locks. I have found it to be extremely consistant and reliable. They supposedly assemble the machine in the factory only after someone places an order for one. Where did you order it? I wonder if you got a used or returned one... Personally wouldn't use the pressureless balls. They are harder and you get grooved to a different feel than normal balls. I warmed up with the pressurless balls once before a match and it took me two sets during the match to adjust to regular balls again. You have to hit the micro-x balls a lot harder to get the same result and a normal ball. As a result I was over-hitting everything during the match. After that I decided to ditch the tretorn balls and just use new regular balls at the beginnning of each season and again later in the season if necessary. That way you don't get used to the wrong bounce and feel.

emanresu
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I got it from a retailer in Colorado after they found out their warehouse in CA still had one left in stock instead of waiting for the next shipment to arrive 2-3 weeks later.

If your machine was clean, then I'm starting to believe mine really is used. Does your playmate feed to your backhand if you set it to 1-line only?

All they used to package it was some bubble wrap and mostly brown paper crumbled up, which I think is fine, but not sure if that's the factory standard.

Any other opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

FaultsNAces
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Keep in mind that depending on how you have the machine set (speed and spin), the throws can be pretty sensitive to wind -- I notice this way more with the machine than playing with a person at all speeds.

Also, if your micro-X balls are all new, the throws will vary a bit until the fuzz on the balls is worn so that they are pretty even; takes a few passes through the machine for each ball. After using the machine a bit, you will find that the green fluff doesn't build up quite so much on every basket; at that point the throws should be very, very consistent (assuming no wind).

My Volley, with a set of only micro-X balls (both balls and machine having seen heavy use over the past 6 months), will repeatedly place each ball within a 1.5 ft square target area, and all will bounce just about exactly the same. (Yes, I've tested this -- hold racket at contact point for one ball, see how much you have to move it with no swing to contact the next ball.)