View Full Version : ASO Ankle Braces
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I rolled my ankle over due to stepping on a ball behind me and wasn't able to play. Not being able to play really annoyed because when I restarted I didn't do so hot. I don't want to experience this again by buying an ankle brace. I wanted to know some info on these braces.
1) Is it bulky that shoes become tighter?
2) Does it prevent all types of roll overs?
3) When wearing this, what would you say the chances of having an ankle roll over are? (10%, 15%, etc.)
4) Does it restrict foot freedom or movement even a little bit?
5) I've seen other braces for cheaper, but is paying extra for the ASO worth it? Any regrets?
6) Is it possible for it to get damaged?
7) If there are dislikes about the brace, then please say so.
10-25-2008, 08:17 AM
1) Nope. It's thinner than putting on a 2nd pair of socks. Besides you can lace up your shoes however tight you want.
2) I believe so. I've been wearing it for almost a year and I never rolled my ankle when I have it on.
3) 0.01% (without the brace... I'd say about 3%...) VERY ROUGH estimates btw.
4) Nope. But I dont' like to wear it when I drive because I drive standard and it is a little restrictive when pressing my foot on and off the clutch.
5) Not at all!
6) I used it as directed; after almost a year it is still very good, no damages.
7) I like it a lot; the only thing I can think of is the extra few minutes needed to put it on before each use... which is a bit of a hassle (but worth it).
10-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for starting this thread and being so specific with the questions, as I have wondered about the same things. Great answers, Orange.
I have a dumb question, are you wearing the ASO's under or over your socks? Also, since I mostly wear quarter height socks, do you think it will still be comfortable with these? I wear a Mc David neoprene over my socks now, but am looking to beef up the support on one ankle. Thanks.
10-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Np I had similar questions too before I purchase my ASO.
I always wear it over my sock.
I've worn it with screw sock, ankle sock, and no-show sock with the brace, it's always been fine, no discomforts.
Lately I've been wearing the brace with two layers of socks; and it goes like this sock-brace-sock. (ps only the lace-up part of the brace is kinda bulky; the part that goes with your foot into the shoe, if you know what I mean, is actually thin stripes of sturdy fabric)
10-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Got it. Thank you.
10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
There is much talk of ankle braces on the Health and Fitness forum if you're interested in more discussion.
vBulletin® v3.6.9, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.