PDA

View Full Version : what is the worst div. 3 school?

oneguy21
10-25-2008, 10:14 AM
what does it take to get on that team?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
10-25-2008, 10:40 AM
what does it take to get on that team?

Are you a female or a male? No offense, but I don't know.

Pomona-Pitzer is #25 on the NCAA men's Div. III, while Chapman is the lowest ranked women's team. I'd guess a 3.5-4.0 would give you a shot at the #1 spot on the team.

srv vlly
10-25-2008, 11:51 AM
SUNY oswego has a pathetic tennis team men and women. a beginner could make the team, no joke

oneguy21
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Pomona-Pitzer is #25 on the NCAA men's Div. III, while Chapman is the lowest ranked women's team. I'd guess a 3.5-4.0 would give you a shot at the #1 spot on the team.

i'm a male

OleNole
10-25-2008, 06:13 PM

These are not the worst teams, simply the last in the national rankings. Surely you're not saying that a 3.5 or 4.0 would play #1 at Pomona-Pitzer? That's a ridiculous assertion.

To the op, go to the schools' websites and look at their records. Look up their players junior rankings and state tournament results if applicable. I think there are very few people on this site that would be willing to call out a team by saying they're the worst in the country. If you are interested in this information because you're looking for a place where you can play in college, I'd advise you to ask Coach Carter. With all his experience, he could be an invaluable resource.

Coach Carter
10-26-2008, 01:20 PM
These are not the worst teams, simply the last in the national rankings. Surely you're not saying that a 3.5 or 4.0 would play #1 at Pomona-Pitzer? That's a ridiculous assertion.

To the op, go to the schools' websites and look at their records. Look up their players junior rankings and state tournament results if applicable. I think there are very few people on this site that would be willing to call out a team by saying they're the worst in the country. If you are interested in this information because you're looking for a place where you can play in college, I'd advise you to ask Coach Carter. With all his experience, he could be an invaluable resource.

Wow, I am amazed at how ******** (sorry, politically incorrect) some people are...get educated in the sport you play!!! I would be embarrassed to throw around my lack of knowledge if I was some of the people on here.

Yes, at some D3's...show up and have an interest and you're gonna play. That being said, I think I have said on here numerous times..."it's about the experience you seek". If you want to "play" college tennis then there are opportunities to do it. I could say the same at certain D2 schools or even at a few D1's. Just because a schools' athletic department is a D1 or whatever does not mean that it's high quality! Get it through your heads. My team is D3 and we beat D2, D1, and NAIA's every year.

The only thing that means anything is the individual school!

You can by a Kia or a BMW. If you have a Kia that was nice (had all the feature you needed and liked) and ran amazingly well, would you be happy. What if you bought a BMW that was a lemon. You bought it stripped down because you were shooting for the name and status it brought, but it was a true "piece". Who was smarter and happier?

It's a weird comparison, but it's what I see from many of you junior players.

I have done it before and will look through some of the top teams rosters and give national jr rankings. At a top D3 school (any team that is ranked or even successful), you will have to be a premier junior player to be a big time player on the team.

I feel like I am wasting my time to do this though...that's one reason (aside from being real busy with my teams) that I have avoided the site here. I get tired of the trash talking about how terrible D3 is. Many of these kids couldn't seriously play for a good D3, yet think they'd be #1 with casts on their legs and using a wood racquet.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
10-26-2008, 02:13 PM

I only saw the nation rankings then. :-?

Coach Carter
10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Wash U of St. Louis (#1 in June 2008’s D3 final ranking)
1 foreign player, 16 total on roster…I know a few other multi stars there)
(3 star – 210 in US, 22 in TX) Trevis Bowman Sr. 5-10 155 Dallas, Texas
Cameron Chiang Fr. 6-2 180 Toronto, Canada
(3 star – 192 in US, 2 in AL) Nirmal Choradia Sr. 5-6 140 Birmingham, Ala.
(3 star – 242 in US, 7 in OR) Charlie Cutler Sr. 5-7 170 Portland, Ore.
(3 star – 269 in US, 2 in CO) Slavi Fildish Jr. 5-9 200 Lakewood, Colo.
(3 star – 390 in US, 5 in OK) Chris Gordon Fr. 5-9 150 Tulsa, Okla.
(3 star – 191 in US, 6 in NJ) Chris Hoeland Sr. 6-1 175 Princeton, N.J.
(3 star – limited info) Danny Levy Jr. 5-8 155 St. Louis, Mo.
(NR – limited info) Mark Partridge Sr. 6-1 170 Berwyn, Pa.
(3 star – 251 in US, 25 in TX) Eric Pollak Sr. 6-2 175 San Antonio, Texas
(3 star – 189 in US, 3 in MI) Dushyanth Srinivasan Fr. 6-0 160 Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
(4 star – 102 in US, 4 in MI) Isaac Stein So. 6-1 150 Kalamazoo, Mich.
(4 star – 59 in US, 4 in GA) John Watts Jr. 6-1 165 Marietta, Ga.
(3 star – limited info) Max Woods So. 5-10 160 Oconomowoc, Wis.
(2 star – 299 in US, 21 in GA) Corey Yealy Jr. 5-8 135 Alpharetta, Ga.
(3 star – 356 in US, 54 in CA) David Zhu So. 6-0 150 Fremont, Calif.

Texas A&M U Corpus Christi (#75 in May 2008’s D1 final ranking - last team ranked)
7 foreign players, 7 total
Jan Cingel Sr. Slovak Republic
Jaume Farras Jr. Barcelona, Spain
James Langford So. London, England
Laurent Montoisy So. Lasne, Belgium
Dmitry Novikov Jr. Minsk, Belarus
Mikhail Pavlov Sr. Moscow, Russia
Jose Zunino Sr. Guayaquil, Ecuador

Georgia College & State Univ (#15 in May 2008’s D2 final ranking)
6 foreign players, 8 total
(1 star – 646 in US, 27 in GA) Robert Angelucci Fr. 6-1 - Acworth, Ga.
Max Beliankou Jr. 5-8 RH Minsk, Belarus
Joao Casagrande Jr. 6-4 RH Sao Paulo, Brazil
Giovane Nucci Jr. 6-0 LH Santa Catarina, Brazil
Justin Pickham Sr. 6-0 LH Armidale, Australia
Erick Siqueira R-Sr. 6-0 RH Sao Paulo, Brazil
(NR – limited info) Kyle Uhles So. 5-10 RH Cumming, Ga.
Francis Yoshimoto Sr. 5-7 RH Sao Paulo, Brazil

Incarnate Word University (#20 in May 2008’s D2 final rankings)
2 foreign players, 17 total
(1 star – 790 in US, 116 in TX) John Anderson Fresh Boerne, TX
(1 star – 512 in US, 57 in TX) Pierce Brandan Fresh Georgetown, TX
(1 star – 755 in US, 105 in TX) Hunter Carter Fresh Boerne, TX
Michael Castillo Sr Santiago, Domincan Republic
(1 star – 513 in US, 58 in TX) Stephen Cavazos Fresh Rockport, TX
Efrain Cayama Soph Venezuela
(1 star – 724 in US, 95 in TX) Casey Dennis Soph New Braunfels, TX
Henry Estrella Sr Santiago, Dominican Republic
(1 star – 442 in US, 63 in TX) Trevor Fields Jr San Antonio, TX
(1 star – 912 in US, 158 in TX) Adan Gallaga Fresh Harlingen, TX
(1 star – 710 in US, 158 in TX) Gerardo Gomez Soph McAllen, TX
(NR – no info) Stanley Haines Soph Comfort, TX
(NR – no info) Chase Holliday Sr San Antonio, TX
(1 star – 528 national, 89 in TX) Jake McMindes Sr Cibolo, TX
(2 star – 397 in US, 48 in TX) Rudy Obregon Sr San Antonio, TX
(1 star – 690 in US, 90 in TX) Jose Perez Fresh Harlingen, TX
(2 star – 519 in US, 75 in TX) Rodrigo Pope Soph El Paso, TX

LeTourneau University (D3, unranked)
(1 star – 390 in US, 49 in TX) Mark Taylor SO Paris, TX
(1 star – 389 in US, 48 in TX) Dallas Darnell FR Houston, TX
(1 star – 708 in US, 93 in TX) Ryan Thomas FR Arlington, TX
(1 star – 515 in US, 73 in TX) Dave Henkel SO Schertz, TX
(1 star – 422 in US, 56 in TX) Wade Sinard SO Corpus Christi, TX
(1 star – TX Supers) Uli de la Fuente FR El Paso, TX
(1 star – 407 in US, 53 in TX) Paul Haney SO Corpus Christi, TX
(NR – TX Champs) Elick Arp FR Longview, TX
(1 star – 700 in US, 152 in TX) Randy Namanny SO Lindale, TX
(NR – TX Champs) Scott Schlesinger FR Arlington, TX

Laredo Community College (#1 in May 2008’s NJCAA final ranking)
(1 star – 597 in US, 74 in TX) Edward Martinez - LaFeria, TX
Moacir Dos Santos-Filho – Curitiba, Brazil
Sebastian Grottke – Dresden Saxony, Germany
Diego Troiano – Dracena, Brazil
Francisco Segura – Almeria, Spain
Maxime Moreau – Grassee, France
Georgie Perez – La Grande Motte, France
Luis Campos – Jundiei, Brazil
Rodrigo Duncan – Monterrey, Mexico
Jose Carlos Tolentino – Lima, Peru

region2champion
10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Coach Carter I have a question, do college coaches really look at tennisrecruiting.com

Bash and Crash
10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
coach has it right, I have old friends that played at top D3 school and later where ranked top 500 in the world...my comm. college team beat a D2 team, although I did beat a D1 player last year and I'm 42 now soo who knows..all depends on players..but no way 3.5 players are playing on almost all D3 teams

10isDad
10-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Good to have you back, Coach. Changing the subject away from this stupid topic: how's the team look this year? Is the roster on the webpage the current 08-09 roster?

bad_call
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, I am amazed at how ******** (sorry, politically incorrect) some people are...get educated in the sport you play!!! I would be embarrassed to throw around my lack of knowledge if I was some of the people on here.

Yes, at some D3's...show up and have an interest and you're gonna play. That being said, I think I have said on here numerous times..."it's about the experience you seek". If you want to "play" college tennis then there are opportunities to do it. I could say the same at certain D2 schools or even at a few D1's. Just because a schools' athletic department is a D1 or whatever does not mean that it's high quality! Get it through your heads. My team is D3 and we beat D2, D1, and NAIA's every year.

The only thing that means anything is the individual school!

You can by a Kia or a BMW. If you have a Kia that was nice (had all the feature you needed and liked) and ran amazingly well, would you be happy. What if you bought a BMW that was a lemon. You bought it stripped down because you were shooting for the name and status it brought, but it was a true "piece". Who was smarter and happier?

It's a weird comparison, but it's what I see from many of you junior players.

I have done it before and will look through some of the top teams rosters and give national jr rankings. At a top D3 school (any team that is ranked or even successful), you will have to be a premier junior player to be a big time player on the team.

I feel like I am wasting my time to do this though...that's one reason (aside from being real busy with my teams) that I have avoided the site here. I get tired of the trash talking about how terrible D3 is. Many of these kids couldn't seriously play for a good D3, yet think they'd be #1 with casts on their legs and using a wood racquet.

i was gonna throw in my $.02 but this post is spot on. :lol:

andfor
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
...............I feel like I am wasting my time to do this though...that's one reason (aside from being real busy with my teams) that I have avoided the site here. I get tired of the trash talking about how terrible D3 is. Many of these kids couldn't seriously play for a good D3, yet think they'd be #1 with casts on their legs and using a wood racquet.

IMO you're not wasting your time. You may be falling on some deaf ears but I have to believe you have opened some kids eyes to the possibility of playing college tennis somewhere. In my book that's compelling enough for me to brag that at least you're one of the few coaches here brave enough to post.

I've said it before, way to many kids think if they can't play college tennis for BigTime U then they are not good enough to play college tennis or it's not worth playing. The sterotype that many junior tennis players have about playing (small college) college tennis is just plain snobbish to me. The opportunity to play tennis and go to school is a great one. My small college tennis experience was a great one for me and one that provides many great memories. I highly recommend it. If you don't like playing college tennis you can always not play the following year. If you don't like the school you choose you can always transfer.

Nellie
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
My sister (a 3.5/4.0) played on the Varsity team at Occidental in California, but their No. 1 was solid - likely a 5.0.

autumn_leaf
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
req is usually nothing for a really bad team. most of the time the worst ones are the one taking on walk ons so you'd be fine.

OleNole
10-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Coach, I think you must've misunderstood my post. I was simply saying that the kid might want to ask you about D2 or D3 tennis if he was looking to play at that level, because it's well known that you have experience coaching at that level. Never asked you to do the research for him (or me).
Not sure where I sounded "********" or was "throwing around my lack of knowledge."

10isDad
10-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Could be wrong but I don't think he was referring to you, but to the question posed by the OP and some of the first few replies. I believe he quoted you because you suggested the OP refer to his posts and ask him.

The very 1st reply insinuates that Pomona-Pitzer is the worst team. Being that there are 325 DIII Mens tennis teams, calling the #25 team in the country, while perhaps not ********, definitely shows a lack of knowledge regarding the division.

The coach has said in numerous posts that there are DIII teams than can beat DI teams and DII teams. Heck, there are some community colleges that can beat some D1 teams.

The coach's point: being a D1 team or a D1 player doesn't make you more "elite" than the other divisions. Are there more "super elite" players in D1 than the other divisions: probably. But to insinuate that DIII schools and players are weak just because of their conference is inane.

There are numerous reasons why players might choose a DIII school (or DII), a very small and definitely not complete sampling of which are:

* Family legacy - parents may have gone to the school and the kids may want to continue the tradition
* Wanting a smaller, more intimate setting instead of some huge school
* Wanting to be closer to home
* Wanting to be at a school that has a great academic fit and may be significantly better in the person's chosen subject than other schools
* Wanting a school with a specific religious affiliation
* May have a better chance at playing regularly

Coach Carter
10-28-2008, 09:22 PM
My sister (a 3.5/4.0) played on the Varsity team at Occidental in California, but their No. 1 was solid - likely a 5.0.

Nellie, girls tennis can be a weird animal at D3's. Like I've said...at a top notch school with heavy girl population then it can be strong across the board. At many though, you have some strength at the top then it gets sketchy at the bottom.

Coach Carter
10-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Coach, I think you must've misunderstood my post. I was simply saying that the kid might want to ask you about D2 or D3 tennis if he was looking to play at that level, because it's well known that you have experience coaching at that level. Never asked you to do the research for him (or me).
Not sure where I sounded "********" or was "throwing around my lack of knowledge."

OleNole...definitely wasn't saying you were ******** in any way. Sorry, I was actually meaning some of the "random" posts on here about D3 in general, and the NTRP/USTA ratings again. A 3.0 playing high for a nationally ranked D3. NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU...I actually appreciate you insinuating that I may be knowledgable or helpful in some way. :)

Again, I don't mind educating and helping improve the college tennis game. I want more of our talented junior players actually taking the step and playing. I would love to have them down here...I need some guys and girls so my teams continue striving for greatness!!! College tennis is an awesome experience.

Coach Carter
10-28-2008, 09:34 PM
As an advertisement...

LeTourneau University (www.letu.edu) in Longview, Texas...2 hours east of Dallas, TX and 1 hour west of Shreveport, LA is always looking for talented, team oriented players for their men's and women's tennis program. We are a strong academic D3 (world famous for our engineering school and we also have one of the largest FAA aviation schools in the nation...but we have a ton of great majors). We take our tennis very seriously! We have awesome tennis weather! We have really nice facilities! Our men and women are close knit, fun with no drama! They push each other hard to be better players and people...support from the top. We play a big schedule (25 to 30 dual matches each spring), with a long spring break trip (9 days this year, to Orlando and Boca). If anyone wants to get in touch, feel free to email me: dougcarter@letu.edu - I will get back to you.

Coach Carter
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Coach Carter I have a question, do college coaches really look at tennisrecruiting.com

ABSOLUTELY... www.tennisrecruiting.net is a terrific tool.

Oh, and as a notice to the junior player out there...we also will do our research and look at your facebook and myspace...to see "what we're getting into" with a player. Coaches do look for good "character"...a top notch player that is a bone head can't help you if they can't conform to what you are trying to do. Those "funny" pictures are better kept private...those are your advertisements!!! Not only will us coaches find them, but those future employers...nothing on the net goes away.

Coach Carter
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Good to have you back, Coach. Changing the subject away from this stupid topic: how's the team look this year? Is the roster on the webpage the current 08-09 roster?

Hey, at this very second we are a tad bit weaker in my opinion on the guys side and a bit stronger on the girls...from this time last year.

That being said, I am looking at some additions soon (I feel like it's gonna happen).

We had good teams last year. Girls made the conference playoffs for the second straight year. Guys were tough, but I made a decision to boot my #1 guy right after spring break because of some "issues" that continued to come up that were "detrimental to the team". It was one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make as a coach, because I want to win so bad and I knew we were "dead" without that player. I hoped the guys would step up and they didn't. We all learned from that. Those issues have been worked on and we made some changes. Our conference is tough! UT-Tyler is simply said, LOADED! McMurry, UT-Dallas, and Hardin-Simmons are real good too. I feel that we are right there (battling for 2nd or 3rd overall right now, out of 14 teams) with McMurry and UTD sitting behind UTT. If we make the additions, then everybody look out! ;) At this moment (still working up the schedule), I think we could be anywhere from 18-10 to 25-3...depending on the next few weeks happenings. I am doing my dangdest to set us up for an NCAA at large bid, if worst comes to worst. I'll be disappointed if we don't get in this year. On the girls side, I really need a couple more girls, but it's hard as heck to get them to come on in. We are dang solid, but thin...a conference playoff team at the least. Since we're talking the girl's side, UTT is dang good. The others that should "be there" are Mary Hardin-Baylor, Howard Payne, and Hardin-Simmons. I truthfully see us as 5th out of 14 in women's. We're real good, just need more depth.

As a coach of a "young team" with no reputation for winning until I got here, the frustrating part is that getting ranked means you have to break through "the old boy network"...and that's hard to do. We are in the west region, with all the powerhouse California schools (UC Santa Cruz, Claremont Mudd Scripps, Pomona, etc) plus the Texas power (Trinity). Trinity and Hardin Simmons were both former D1's that have tradition. HSU has gotten weaker over my 4 plus years, where Trinity reloads. UT-Tyler, UT-Dallas, McMurry, and us (LeTourneau) continue to strengthen, but so much has to happen for us to get attention and get ranked finally. We will get there...we just have to work even harder and keep pushing to new heights.

Sorry to give so much info...

phamster
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes, i know of 2 coaches from a DIV 1 school mainly in my area, that looks at the tennisrecruting.net every single day !!!!

in fact , i asked them is it a good tool? and the both stated very good tool, get the rated players filtered out and saves them time too..

so i think every coach that recruits looks at that site !!!

phamster

andfor
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, i know of 2 coaches from a DIV 1 school mainly in my area, that looks at the tennisrecruting.net every single day !!!!

in fact , i asked them is it a good tool? and the both stated very good tool, get the rated players filtered out and saves them time too..

so i think every coach that recruits looks at that site !!!

phamster

I know a D1 women's coach who really likes the tool. He brought it up to me and even mentioned seeing my son there. Whenever I see him I joke with him about if he's been on the site lately and we both laugh. He's there.

My boy is only 14 and had over 10 coaches look at his profile this year. I'm sure some kids that age are getting a lot more profile views than that.