PDA

View Full Version : Heat shrink sleeves

jms007
10-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if those heat sleeves that add 1 grip size as thick as a regular replacement grip? Also does their ability to handle vibrations differ significantly? Thanks.

mark rodgers
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I've used them a lot in the past. Those sleeves come in half and full sizes. The full size increases the grip size 1/8 inch while the half size increases it 1/16 inch. Even with the full size, they are no where near as thick as a replacement grip which is much thicker. Even a leather grip will be thicker than a heat shrink sleeve. I've never really looked at the reduction in vibration though I think it would be minimal, if any. I think the main concern in using heat shrink sleeves is the effect on the weight and balance of your racket.

jms007
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I've used them a lot in the past. Those sleeves come in half and full sizes. The full size increases the grip size 1/8 inch while the half size increases it 1/16 inch. Even with the full size, they are no where near as thick as a replacement grip which is much thicker. Even a leather grip will be thicker than a heat shrink sleeve. I've never really looked at the reduction in vibration though I think it would be minimal, if any. I think the main concern in using heat shrink sleeves is the effect on the weight and balance of your racket.
Hmm, so would be fair to guess that a replacement grip increases size by about 2 sizes? I guess i'm just trying to figure how big the bare handle on a 4 1/4 grip is. Confusing!

Mansewerz
10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
How do you put one on if you don't have a heat gun and if a hair dryer takes too long? Have you used the oven method?

gotwheels
10-27-2008, 12:57 PM
The approximate grip size difference between a frame's bare handle and the frame with the factory grip is ~ 2 grip sizes.

jms007
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
How do you put one on if you don't have a heat gun and if a hair dryer takes too long? Have you used the oven method?

Haha, that idea breifly crossed my mind while i standing and holding a hairdryer for about 10-15 minutes...but I don't think im gonna try it. Just have some patience dude.

The approximate grip size difference between a frame's bare handle and the frame with the factory grip is ~ 2 grip sizes.

Thanks, that's what i suspected.