PDA

View Full Version : LOokin for advice on figuring out how to get into college tennis

anbu4ever11
10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
hello im a senior in high school and have been looking at many different schools and there tennis programs. im not ranked in the usta and neither of my parents attended college.i have no clue at all how to get apply or get accepted to any colleges athletic program.can i just generally apply and get a hitting session or do i have to send in video of me playing.idk im just trying to figure this all out on how to go about things. another thing would it be really hard for someone not ranked or to well known to get into a D1,D2,or D3 school.i hear most of its based on there football programs so there division in tennis may not be as great just based off there division.just wondering if anyone could help explain some things.thanks in advance

anbu4ever11
10-25-2008, 06:11 PM
anything on creating a resume video to.what i should and should not put in would be greatly appreciated.

Coach Carter
10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
you won't get a "tennis scholarship", but there are many opportunities.

here's a website to look at: check the D3 conferences here

http://www.collegestudentathletes.com/conferences.cfm

my conference is the American Southwest Conference.

Coach Carter
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
it will just give you ideas of what all schools have tennis. some amazing, some mediocre...but opportunities all the same.

this website doesn't have good website addresses, but again, it's about the school names...you can google search from there.

jtms
10-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Without a ranking, you will definitely not get a scholarship, but you should have plenty of opportunities to walk on. Have you tried to play any tournaments at all? Are you playing on your high school team?

If you are not on your high school team, go walk on. If it is too late try and sign up for some local tournaments a see how you do. This will atleast give you a baseline on your ability and if you do well you can tell coaches this and they should give you an opportunity to walk on if you do okay.

When I played in college we had 1-2 guys that never started and pretty much played on the team to help out and they loved tennis. Kind of like being on the scout team for football. Not saying that you should settle for this, but just giving you some ideas that you do not have to be top in the country to play college tennis. I played D1 and D2 and 3 is not as competitive.

Play some tournaments and see how you do. If you do well then pursue, but if you get spanked at these tournaments then you will have an idea on what you are getting into.

anbu4ever11
11-08-2008, 07:51 PM
yeah tourneys sounds smart.