PDA

View Full Version : Modern Forehand-Technical question-re grips

laurie
02-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Hello. The forehand has come up a lot recently. I've discussed the notion that Sampras played with a semiwestern grip on the forehand side. Stan Smith (ex champion) discussed this in articles he did recently. However, most people here say that Sampras played with an eastern grip. The reason I believe Pete used a semi western:

He played with an open stance like everyone today
He had excellent shoulder rotation on his shots
He had an excellent inside out forehand
He had an excellent down the line forehand
He had ax excellent return of serve forehand on both courts where an open stance and quick motion is vital
He had a long loopy swing when rallying
He had high net clearance on his forehands and they would land deep into his opponents court - this is vital as it meant he didn't hit too many short balls where he could be attacked. It also means he put more topsin on his shots than people realise.

So, with all this in mind what I want to ask is, can these shots be performed today with an eastern grip? If they are, do any other players play today with an eastern grip on the forehand?

Cfidave
02-11-2005, 05:47 AM
I have used an eastern forehand grip for 20 years. I can hit the ball flat, with slice, or with a ton of topspin. It all depends on where I choose to start the swing from, in relation to the ball height. If I drop the racquet head well below the ball and drive up and through the hitting zone, I can impart a great deal of topspin. Hitting flat and with slice also depends on where I postion the racquet head at the start of the swing, and how I finish the follow through. The Western or Semi western, to me, only has advantages on high balls, shoulder height and above. It then has to be changed ( quickly) for volleys, or slice shots. I think the Eastern forehand is the more versatile grip.

TheNatural
02-11-2005, 06:08 AM
So, with all this in mind what I want to ask is, can these shots be performed today with an eastern grip? If they are, do any other players play today with an eastern grip on the forehand?[/QUOTE]

Steffi Graf had a similar grip
Todd Woodbridge

splink779
02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Just look at his follow through - dead givaway