PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Pro 600, as good as expected

gofederer
03-30-2004, 11:26 AM
i hit with a head prestige pro 600 (made in austria) for the first time today and found it really sweet... specs are 355g or 12.5 oz strung, balance at 320mm or 7.3 pts headlight, 19mm beam, 600 sq cm or 93 sq in headsize (but looks even smaller than tour 90 face to face)... generous sweet spot, poweful & lively yet controllable, heftish yet surprisingly maneuverable, plenty of spin potential despite the dense string pattern, pleasant feel and comfort (twaron?), etc etc... this stick immediately made me feel much more confident to take on my weaker shots (fore & backhand drives on the high, forehand volleys)... definitely the most playable among my recent racquets including ps 6.0 85, ps tour 90, pog mid and i.prestige mp... the only thing i don't like about it is its look (chocolate hoop, wider beam side and thinner beam front than prostaffs)

PS61
03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I bought a prestige classic 600. It's on its way to me. I hope it's good as well. What tension do you string it? I need a reference.
Thanks

PS61

gofederer
03-30-2004, 03:34 PM
ps61, i didn't restring it, i just used the way it was sent to me from the former owner... guess the string is actually a better one than i usually use, wilson extreme synthetic, and the tension feels like around mid 50s... thinking of restringing it at 60 later...

PS61
03-30-2004, 04:19 PM
I think 60 lb is very tight for a 93 head size and dense string bed. I usually string my Prostaff Classic 6.1 95 at 57-58 lb. I plan to string the Prestige 600 to arround 52lb. It might feel like mid 50.

Ray Wong
03-30-2004, 07:18 PM
goferderer, What's the different between Prestige Pro and Prestige Classic? And how much you get it nowaday?

Ray Wong
03-30-2004, 07:23 PM
...And I think the tension below 56 should be better for Prestige Line, my experience 52-3 is wonderful!

gofederer
03-31-2004, 03:59 AM
ray wong, you'll be able to find a helpful thread about the prestige lineage by searching this board with poster's name "michael chaho"... i bought my pro at **** at a low price (35 euros + 15 euros postage), but i don't think there are many coming out... as for the tension, when i say it feels like mid 50s, i take into account the head size and dense string pattern so i'm still on course to 60lbs experiment...

Ray Wong
03-31-2004, 08:11 AM
gofederer, thanks!

gofederer
03-31-2004, 09:56 AM
second impression after the initial excitement has settled down... today i compared the prestige pro with my long time favorite ps 6.0 85... before playing i added 12g of lead tape on the handle of the pro making it 367g (a tad under 13 oz) and 9.3 pts headlight in comparison with the 85's 370g (with 5g of overgrip & 10g of blu-tack on 3 & 9) and 8.5 pts headlight... bottom line is the pro is a little bit too powerful for me with the current (old) stringjob... still more playable overall than the 85 with its bigger margin of error, but when well hit the feel edge was absolutely with the 85... found anew that the 85's pure, clean, comfortable, and mysteriously gratifying feel is really unique even in comparison with the already great feel of the pro... and maneuverability edge also goes to the 85 despite the slightly heavier weight and less headlight balance... naturally spin potential on groundies and serves as well... yet the pro was better with those bread and butter flat drives and its sharp feedback on volleys was pleasing too... i'll see what happens when i restring it with my usual cheap synthetic gut at 60lbs... hope it corrects the too much power problem

Pro_Tour_630
03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
GF, pick up hammertec 18g at 56lbs for $1.50 or gamma 18g white at 56lbs or my favoite regular old wilson synthetic gold 17g (the old pakage if you can find it)

The Pro out hits the PS85 is every department and most important you get to keep your arm :roll:

So you paid $75 for a used Pro :wink: if you want few Brand Spanking NEW Pro's let me know 8)

gofederer
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
michael, thanks for advice on strings and tension... and as for new pro's, well, i doubt i'll seek another very soon because i don't usually get racquets in pairs... ray wong above might be interested though... btw 50 euros (including shipping) is more like $62 than $75, and you know what? for an item imported from the states (or any other country outside the eu) to here the uk, there's the hideous thing called VAT (17.5%) after IMPORT TAX (5% on average) is imposed on the sum of the item price and shipping cost... so if you give me a pro at $70 and shipping costs $30, it becomes $105 after import tax and finally snowballs to more than $123... what a shame!

PS61
03-31-2004, 02:48 PM
GF,

Again, I'm using a PS 6.6 85 lately. People said it's similar to PS 6.0 85. I like it so much except for the dead volley. I'm still waiting for the Prestige classic 600. I'm wondering how does PS6.0 85 compare with Prestige 600 in terms of volley.

Thanks
PS61

Pro_Tour_630
03-31-2004, 05:21 PM
shipped few sticks overseas, I put item "used" and "gift", not sure they will charge VAT, I would hate to buy anything from UK due to the streangth of the pound, our stuff should look very cheap compared to your stuff

gofederer
04-01-2004, 03:27 AM
michael, yes, that's a nice tactic between us individual traders although these uk authorities are very keen to impose taxes even on any "used" "gift" worth more than 30 something pounds including postage... and you're right, the pound is crazy (or the dollar's crazy maybe?)... anyway i'll keep in mind that there is you who's got a stock of nice sticks in case when i or people i know need them...

ps61, here's my impression on the volley performance of both racquets...

maneuverability 85 - excellent / pro - good enough
feel 85 - sweet (not sure if you regard this as "dead") / pro - crisp
punch 85 - heavy / pro - sharp
control 85 - exquisite / pro - excellent
miss hit ratio 85 - relatively high / pro - relatively low
these are only my subjective impressions and i know you could feel very differently...

Bo
04-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Has your 85 been modified? Without any modification, I think the 600's feel is much better, but with a smaller sweet point and too head-light for me. I add long strips of lead tape at the tip of the 6.6, it really helped a lot, most of my friends loved it (except some complaint about the weight though). Tried to do the same with my 600 but with little success. I will try to put the lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions and try again some time this week.