PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for restoring tackiness to overgrips

Gymrat
10-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I typically get about 4 days worth of playing before my overgrips (Yonex Supergrap) completely lose their tackiness. Once this happens, I change overgrips, but feel this is a waste of money because other than the loss of tackiness, the overgrips are perfectly fine.

Is there something I can do to the overgrip to make it tacky again? (Any products or home remedies)

If not, can anyone suggest an overgrip with the same quality as the Yonex but that retains its tackiness longer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Fedace
10-27-2008, 08:51 AM
I typically get about 4 days worth of playing before my overgrips (Yonex Supergrap) completely lose their tackiness. Once this happens, I change overgrips, but feel this is a waste of money because other than the loss of tackiness, the overgrips are perfectly fine.

Is there something I can do to the overgrip to make it tacky again? (Any products or home remedies)

If not, can anyone suggest an overgrip with the same quality as the Yonex but that retains its tackiness longer?

Just switch to ProSupex Super tacky overgrip, it lasts like 5-6 matches.

winter2334
10-27-2008, 08:51 AM
put glue on it

meowmix
10-27-2008, 01:10 PM
^Uh, right...

Use a chalk bag. Supposedly, it restores the tackiness to the grips.

blackfrido
10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
wash them, and put them back!

Conquistador
10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Theres tacky spray they sell for overgrips..Its really cheap like 3 dollars a bottle..

tbini87
10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
i have never tried any remedies for this problem, only because it seems like more of a hassle than it is a help. i use supergrap too, and it is only a dollar per grip right? so if you are getting 4 days out of it i think it is money well spent.

i have, however, flipped supergrap and tournagrip over when i didn't have another grip with me. it gives you a bit better grip than the old worn out side, but isn't quite up to par and doesn't last too long. maybe you can flip it after the 4th day to get one more day out of it. but like i said, hardly even worth the trouble.

Blade0324
10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
The best solution is to not be so cheap and just replace it when you feel it has lost what you like about it.

Gymrat
10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
The best solution is to not be so cheap and just replace it when you feel it has lost what you like about it.

There's an adage you may not have heard of: "Mend, don't spend" :)

Nanshiki
10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Buy in bulk... and use a grip enhancer like Prince Grip Pro. You can buy them on... other sites.

nCode747
10-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Just switch to ProSupex Super tacky overgrip, it lasts like 5-6 matches.

how is this prosupex overgrip. the price cant be beat.

Blade0324
10-29-2008, 07:33 AM
There's an adage you may not have heard of: "Mend, don't spend" :)
I would agree with this in some cases but not when it comes to something as inexpensive as overgrips. Seems to me that the time you would invest in trying to do this offsets any money you would save.

imajica77
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
there are a few things out there you can use. Prince makes a spray for this, you can also use a rosin bag, and they is also a very tacky cloth but I can't remember the name of it right off the bat. But if you really want to know the name let me know and I can look it up.

Nanshiki
10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Prince does not make a spray. It's a lotion. And to be honest the package it comes in sucks.

lwto
10-30-2008, 11:33 PM

I've used those Yonex overgrips..

1st they are the worst overgrips I have ever used.

the lose their tackiness.
they feel like sandpaper and chaff your hands.

Gamma and Babolat original are very good.

Gamma especially, they are very thin but retain it's life quite well.
cheers!

Don S
10-31-2008, 07:18 PM
there are a few things out there you can use. Prince makes a spray for this, you can also use a rosin bag, and they is also a very tacky cloth but I can't remember the name of it right off the bat. But if you really want to know the name let me know and I can look it up.

That tacky cloth is called Gorilla Grap and it works great but you have to use it VERY sparingly. Conjures up images of Chevy Chase in "Christmas Vacation" where he gets tree sap on his hands and rips the pages of the magazine he's reading. It's just like that.

kelz
11-04-2008, 11:03 AM
buy a new one

Nellie
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
You could use a rosin bag.

wilfreb
10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
supergraps are the best overgrips you could get, to improve it get the prince grip enhancer, thats what i do.

blackfrido
10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
clean them up with clorex and ready to go again

ClubHoUno
10-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I use a normal hand creme and voila, the Supeegrap feels alive again.

If you want a super tacky overgrip that lasts well, but only works for people with dry hands, then get the Gamma Supreme overgrip in white.

rich s
10-11-2009, 06:37 AM

Get a Gamma Tack Rag/Towel to restore tackiness......they are almost too sticky when new......

http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?product=91

fattsoo
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Too much hassel to do this, replace it:)

Irvin
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I played once with a guy that put spray deodorant on his grip. He said it was very tacky. After shaking his hand after the match I would have to agree. It felt like he had honey on his hand. Gives me chills again thinking about that.

I have heard of others using a tack rag. You can buy them at hardware stores. They are used to remove all sawdust before you finish woodwork.

These two options may provide more tack than you want though.

Irvin

film1
10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
pour a little coke or other soft drink on the grip. (not diet)

ebrainsoft
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Rub your hand on the mesh wind breakers hanging on the fence.

blackfrido
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
don't use glue to restore tackiness, unless you want to carry your racquet everywhere

Thunderbrat
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Fill your pockets with sawdust. Rub your grip with it after every point. Be sure to sprinkle some extra sawdust where your opponent sets up to serve.