PDA

View Full Version : Each side of my new overgrip has a different feel... which to use?

dwhiteside
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi there, a somewhat silly question but I figure this is what forums are for.

Just got gamma supreme overgrips - it seems as if the exposed side without tape on it when I take it out of the package has a different feel and look than the side covered with the transparent tape wrapping.

When I wrap my racquet, which do I leave exposed for my hand to grip -
Do I wrap it with the side covered in the clear tape (after I take the tape off of course) on the outside or on the inside?

What is the function of that clear tape on one side? For most overgrips I've tried it seems the two sides are identical, but with this gamma I'm pretty positive there's something of a difference, although it may only be aesthetic?

Thanks!

meowmix
10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
The side of the grip with the tape is supposed to be on bottom.

However, it's really up to you. If you like the feel of the side with the tape, use that on top.

The clear tape is so that the grips don't get stuck together. In a massive 30 roll of grips, you don't want to be peeling grips apart from each other. Especially if it's in the middle of summer :)

tsongaali
10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
meowmix is wrong. You are supposed to touch the side that had tape stuck onto it. the side without the tape is much more rougher for most og's.

ronalditop
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
you have to use the side that is cover with plastic. this side is more tacky, the other one is less tacky and rouguer.
and dont even try to use one side first and the other later, cause its imposible with gamma supreme.

meowmix
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
meowmix is wrong. You are supposed to touch the side that had tape stuck onto it. the side without the tape is much more rougher for most og's.

Really? I always did it the other way...

phucng_10
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
you have to use the side that is cover with plastic. this side is more tacky, the other one is less tacky and rouguer.
and dont even try to use one side first and the other later, cause its imposible with gamma supreme.

Yeah, this is the way I use the overgrip. Other way feels a bit dry.

Booyah
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
i think meowmix is thinking about the tape as in the tape that is on the end of the overgrips to attach to the racket when you begin wrapping the overgrip around the racket. the plastic wrapping around the racket when you take it off is the side you want to have touching your hand. the tape that attaches to the grip on your racket should be on the other side to help start wrapping the overgrip.

dwhiteside
10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
well!

I hit today for about 3 hours with a fresh gamma supreme, clear tape side UP. It was really tacky at first, I loved it. Did great to begin with... about an hour into intense play my hands were really sweaty, and then the grip totally became worthless... Less than worthless! It had absolutely 0 tack and was incredibly slippery. If I held the grip tightly and spun the racquet, it would be akin to grasping a metal bar coated with vaseline. Maybe not that drastic, but you get the point. Slipped almost everytime I had to return a decent shot and really threw off my game.

Out of all the overgrips I've used, tape side UP had the worst performance with my supersweaty hands...

However, I decided to wrap it tape side down afterwards, contrary to the 5 posters in this thread besides meowmix.

It feels rougher, but it still is very tacky. Not the same type of sticky rubber tack, but tacky nonetheless. I'll try it out for a few hours and see if sweat affects it the same way as the tapeside. If it does, then I guess supremes aren't for my ultra sweaty physique. Moving onto supergraps after this!

dwhiteside
10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Perhaps I can now ask what overgrips retain their tack and do not slip when drenched in sweat, OTHER THAN Tournagrips?

dwhiteside
10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
And other than Wilson Pro.