PDA

View Full Version : Ferrero

JCF
02-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Is he playing lately ?

Brettolius
02-11-2005, 07:21 AM
yes is playing poorly and losing. morale is low for the jcf camp.

pound cat
02-11-2005, 08:14 AM
He has no self-confidence. He needs someone to help him get it back, maybe a change of coach .... something like what Lundgren is doing for Safin.

Andy Hewitt
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
WHat happened to this guy!? I thought he retired or something. I remember back when i didnt even follow tennis and id always see Ferrero at the top of the rankings. Is he madly injured now?

Vlad
02-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I think he just had a burnout in year 2004 after playing a lot of tennis in 2003. I might take him some time to get the energy and confidence back. I still expect him to do well on clay and be a top 5 threat to win French.

Marius_Hancu
02-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Is he playing lately ?
You should know better, with your name:-)

But then, you don't speak Spanish probably ...

He lost first round in Marseille to JJ 76 63. JJ's tough and on form, thus no big surprise.

dAgEnIuS
02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
his next tournment is at Rotterdam next week....
let's all root for him so that he will gain some confidence before the French Open...

rhubarb
02-12-2005, 07:43 AM
WHat happened to this guy!? I thought he retired or something. I remember back when i didnt even follow tennis and id always see Ferrero at the top of the rankings. Is he madly injured now?

That's strange since he was only at the top of them for 8 weeks ;)

Aykhan Mammadov
02-12-2005, 11:20 AM
IMHO Ferrero will never be among top 5-6 again. He has strength, but he doesn't have same confidence say as Hewitt, also he doesn't have talent as those who feel a ball good.

Marius_Hancu
02-12-2005, 11:35 AM
IMHO Ferrero will never be among top 5-6 again. He has strength, but he doesn't have same confidence say as Hewitt, also he doesn't have talent as those who feel a ball good.

He is talented enough. But he didn't have much confidence even at the top.

I saw him two years ago, at TMS Montreal, losing to Kucera (a very crafty player), in two sets.

Canada TMS, Hard, R16
3 6 5 7

I was in the baseline seats, in the first row, one meter from his coach. He was talking all the time to the coach (and his posse was talking back to him) moaning and complaining like a kindergarten kid.

And this, pls remember, was after winning Roland Garros. Thus his confidence well is not too deep at all.

arosen
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Before the year started people were saying Ferrero might come back ,will come back, etc. C'mon guys, get real. He is done. His best days are behind him. He doesnt have the goods to be at the top day in and day out. He had nice game, but against monsters like Safin or Joachim he is roadkill.

pound cat
02-12-2005, 04:26 PM
The Spanish Davis Cup team rejected him, and they pick who's likely to perform. I agree, he's done.

verdasco67
02-12-2005, 06:55 PM
aykhan juan carlos ferrero has lots of talent....he's just out of shape and has low confidence..i'm sure he will get back into the top 10 sometime.

Marius_Hancu
02-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't think he's done. I think he needs to change coaches, he needs someone tougher.

He will be back.

Vlad
02-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Of course he will be back. I remember that some of you were posting here at the end of 2003 that Hewitt and Safin are done. Well not done but some people predicted that Hewitt will never be a top 5 and Safin will not make it to top 10.
Now they are solid top 3-4 players in the world.
I think he will be back, certainly not #1 by he will be top 5 player again.
I still consider him as a better clay court player than Coria and rest of the field for that matter.

dAgEnIuS
02-13-2005, 11:14 AM
and yet ANOTHER tough draw for Ferrero at Rotterdam....

Rainer Schuettler in the first round, followed by Nalbandian or Stephanek,
and if he manages to win those two, J.Johansson, who has won another tournament today, will be waiting for him at third round...

AND if a miracle happens and Ferrero wins all three rounds, he could face Coria in the semis and FEDERER in the finals....

well, too much for Ferrero winning this one.....

West Coast Ace
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
JC's woes just show how fragile the existence is of a pro tennis (or golf) player. And how little really separates 1 and 100 on the men's tour. He got injured, came back, lost to some players he would normally hande, and lost his confidence. And now as dagenius pointed out, you get some tough draws and it's very difficult to get any momentum. Having said this, JC always seemed a little fragile mentally - would get down if things went bad - unlike a Hewitt who has a comparable game. But I'm not going to say he'll definitely never get back to the top 5 - a lot of hard work and a little good fortune and it could happen. Of course if the rumors about him and Sharapova are accurate, he might not care.

JCF
02-14-2005, 05:26 AM
You should know better, with your name:-)

But then, you don't speak Spanish probably ...

He lost first round in Marseille to JJ 76 63. JJ's tough and on form, thus no big surprise.

Funny you should say that, but I started taking spanish recently!,

Who is JJ ?

Marius_Hancu
02-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Funny you should say that, but I started taking spanish recently!,

Who is JJ ?

Fast-rising Swede Joachim Johansson:-)

Marius_Hancu
02-14-2005, 04:18 PM
and yet ANOTHER tough draw for Ferrero at Rotterdam....

Rainer Schuettler in the first round, followed by Nalbandian or Stephanek,

Well, this IS a good result:

J Ferrero (ESP) d R Schuettler (GER) 64 62

The rest, at his current ranking, it's just icing on the cake, thus let's hope he relaxes and plays well.

!Tym
02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't know if it's that great. Schuettler's REALLY fallen off since his peak year, but still it's a good start and a quality win none the less. Perhaps, Ferrero and Schuettler should have a little pow-wow, perhaps start a support group for former top tenners in need of a pick-me-up...any volunteers?

verdasco67
02-14-2005, 05:15 PM
i think ferrero will start playing well again. He has a lot of confidence in him now.

Mies
02-14-2005, 11:43 PM
We shall see, I hope to see him on sunday (have tickets for the final :) ) but I doubt it considering his draw. I haven't seen any footage of the match in Rotterdam though.

Read here what he had to say after the match against Schuettler:
Btw, if the page shows up in Dutch, klick the english flag in the top right (hm.........okay this remark has a high "DOH" factor but anyways).

http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/index.asp?item=home

Well, looks like JC has got some confidence back and he cannot really drop any lower on the ranking than he is already (more or less) so things can only go better for him. I hope it will because I like the guys style.

Regards,
Maurice

rhubarb
02-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Well, looks like JC has got some confidence back and he cannot really drop any lower on the ranking than he is already (more or less) so things can only go better for him.

If he'd lost yesterday he'd have sunk to the bottom of the top 100. Even getting to the quarters in Rotterdam won't keep him in the top 80 as he has final points to defend. He really needs as many wins as he can this week, or he'll probably have to qualify for the clay masters.

But I agree, he has a nice style (even if it's not quite always as breathtaking as some other players imo), and it would be a great to see him back at his best.

JCF
02-16-2005, 06:56 AM
lost to stenanek , as did Nalbandian

rhubarb
02-16-2005, 07:02 AM
lost to stenanek , as did Nalbandian

What do you mean? They don't play until this evening.

JCF
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Im sorry people bad mistake by me, i thought ferrero was due to meet nalbandian AFTER Stepanek and so already lost to him.

JCF
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
So Ferrero is still in it!!

the dream is still alive !!!!

Vamos Juan Carlos!

dAgEnIuS
02-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Bad news people....
Ferrero lost to Stenanek..................

devila
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
So Ferrero is still in it!!

the dream is still alive !!!!

Vamos Juan Carlos! Juanqui, God Fed beater, lost to Stepanek.
That means he can declare himself a loser. Such a torture to win this tournament, huh?

Exci
02-17-2005, 12:50 AM
I don't know if it's that great. Schuettler's REALLY fallen off since his peak year, but still it's a good start and a quality win none the less. Perhaps, Ferrero and Schuettler should have a little pow-wow, perhaps start a support group for former top tenners in need of a pick-me-up...any volunteers?

It actually was good, because I happen to have seen that match myself in Rotterdam. Schuettler started off great and was on another level compared to Ferrero. He was winning about every point and Ferrero even desperately rushed to the net a few times only to see Schuettler pass him over and over again (was really fun to see though, but was quite sure Schuettler would win this quite easily).

Then Ferrero suddenly came back again and took Schuettler's service game and I think that from there on, Rainer has never gotten over that. Maybe he was beginning to get tired, maybe he lost his spirit, I don't know. All I know is that in the second set about all his shots landed way in front of the baseline, opposed to nearly ON the baseline in the first set..

So he did well frankly, best tennis I've seen Ferrero play since..well...a long time.

Juanqui, God Fed beater, lost to Stepanek.
That means he can declare himself a loser. Such a torture to win this tournament, huh?

I might completely miss the point here, but you say that Ferrero is a loser because he lost to Stepanek? Were you there? Have you seen any coverage? Do you happen to know how well Stepanek is playing in Rotterdam at the moment? I mean, he crushed Nalbandian (even though in 3 sets). Just compare the scores, will you:

Stepanek - Ferrero 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.
Stepanek - Nalbandian 6-2, 4-6, 6-1.

Now we would never think Ferrero could beat Nalbandian in this shape, but can't we conclude that Ferrero did well against Stepanek then? Nalbandian did much worse and never even came close, he was just humiliated.. :P

rhubarb
02-17-2005, 01:01 AM
I might completely miss the point here, but you say that Ferrero is a loser because he lost to Stepanek? Were you there? Have you seen any coverage? Do you happen to know how well Stepanek is playing in Rotterdam at the moment? I mean, he crushed Nalbandian (even though in 3 sets). Just compare the scores, will you:

Stepanek - Ferrero 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.
Stepanek - Nalbandian 6-2, 4-6, 6-1.

Now we would never think Ferrero could beat Nalbandian in this shape, but can't we conclude that Ferrero did well against Stepanek then? Nalbandian did much worse and never even came close, he was just humiliated.. :P

Exci, don't worry too much about devila, her posts are usually just anti-Federer sarcasm of some sort and rarely make much sense.

I see positives from Rotterdam for Ferrero (even though I haven't seen his matches), at least he is being competitive against good players indoors. He didn't play either spring TMS last year, so winning a couple of rounds there will help his ranking, and then we're back to his best surface. Though I do worry about him getting into those tournaments...

VamosRafa
02-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm just weighing in here on my surprise to discover that Ferrero, unless he gets wildcards, may have to try to qualify for the upcoming TMS claycourt events.

Here's a bit from Bob Larson Tennis ranking analysis. I knew he wasn't doing well, but I didn't realize it was this bad:

This was after his lost to Radek Stepanek in the second round of Rotterdam:

Because Ferrero was last year's Rotterdam finalist, this will cut deeply. He came in at #64. Since he made it to the second round, he should stay Top 100, barely. But he'll still lose more than 30 places. Barring a miraculous recovery, he'll be playing qualifying for the clay Masters. And a miraculous recovery seems unlikely; he's #55 in the Race, and will probably stay around #50.

dAgEnIuS
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm just weighing in here on my surprise to discover that Ferrero, unless he gets wildcards, may have to try to qualify for the upcoming TMS claycourt events.

Here's a bit from Bob Larson Tennis ranking analysis. I knew he wasn't doing well, but I didn't realize it was this bad:

This was after his lost to Radek Stepanek in the second round of Rotterdam:

i heard that i he's ranking would go down to #100...
well, on the bright side, clay court season is coming up,
and he has no points to defend at all.

dAgEnIuS
02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
another tough draw for ferrero in Dubai...
he meets Federer in the 2nd round...
no reason to say who is in the 3rd and 4th round...

verdasco67
02-22-2005, 02:14 AM
i heard that i he's ranking would go down to #100...
well, on the bright side, clay court season is coming up,
and he has no points to defend at all.

his ranking is now 98....