PDA

View Full Version : So another question bout LEAD TAPE

pabletion
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Im just wonderin if theres any way it can affect a racquet structurally, for example, if you add too much lead tape to a frame, or if you place it incorrectly (how much is too much and which ways are wrong?)

Im wondering bcause I've placed about 0.6 oz distribuited evenly at 3 & 9, and at the handle; Is there a need to place some on the throat to distribute the weight more evenly? Is there a problem if I keep it as I did, or can that cause damage to the racquet?

People who are expert or really know this business, I thank you in advance...

jms007
10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
I think you're the only person who can be the judge of how much is too much. You're going to play with that racquet, not us. The best advice I can give you is just to experiment, and do some approximate math. Just add or substract in small increments, that way you'll narrow it down to your perfect set-up.

I'll give you an example: I bought a used racquet with a 4 1/4 grip, weighing 11.8 strung. I added heat sleeve that weighed .5 oz and an over grip with neglible weight, so I assumed it made the racquet slightly more headlight. I then added .25 oz of lead at 3/9 to improve stability and compensate with a little more power. Tried playing with it, and it felt damn good. So then I added another .25 oz to the 3/9 position, just basically wanting to see if I could improve it some more. But nope, I went overboard. The racquet became too heavy for effective serving, and way too powerful so I took the last 0.25 oz off the head.

But then again I'm no expert!

pabletion
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
^ thanks for your input. When I asked how much is too much, though, I was reffering in terms of the frame, cause I've wondered if you add A LOT, if you might compromise the structure of the racquet.
Initially I added about 0.3 oz distrituited evenly at 3&9, and on handle, and really loved it; I want to try a bit more weigh, so I added an extra 0.2 oz, distribuited evenly, at 3&9 and handle. It feels pretty good, a bit heavier, but strokes are sooo solid. Just wanna know if I should place some lead on the throat too, as to not compromise the racquet structuraly

jms007
10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
^ thanks for your input. When I asked how much is too much, though, I was reffering in terms of the frame, cause I've wondered if you add A LOT, if you might compromise the structure of the racquet.
Initially I added about 0.3 oz distrituited evenly at 3&9, and on handle, and really loved it; I want to try a bit more weigh, so I added an extra 0.2 oz, distribuited evenly, at 3&9 and handle. It feels pretty good, a bit heavier, but strokes are sooo solid. Just wanna know if I should place some lead on the throat too, as to not compromise the racquet structuraly

Compromise in what sense? Breaking or bending the racquet? I don't think so. You can tape to the throat or handle to change the balance for playability, but you don't need any for fear of "compromising the racquet."

pabletion
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
well, think about it: you add weight to the handle, and to the head (3&9); so you got mass at the tip (roughly) and bottom, but not the middle, so when hitting the ball, im wondering if that middle part is vulnerable or not