PDA

View Full Version : String Savers

phucng_10
10-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Today, my friend and I were heading home from a Spirit Rally at a friends high school. On our way home we were talking a bit about tennis and my friend said he was going to get string savers because he said it helps him create topspin. I told him that string savers are for players who continuously breaks strings and he keeps telling me that no, it helps with my topspin. So I then I said that your technique and grip is what's helping you with your topspin, not the string savers.

My point is that, string savers have nothing to do with topspins whatsoever right? I really have to point out my argument to my friends with evidence when I know something is right. Otherwise, they wouldn't believe me at all. :evil:

baek57
10-30-2008, 12:43 AM
topspin is a direct correlation to how much racquet speed you have. thats it and thats all.

mikeler
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I used string savers religiously for years until I bought my own stringer in May. So for the last 6 months, I have played without them. I can't tell a difference in spin between using them versus not using them. It is more important to have fresh strings in your racket than worrying about whether to use string savers.

Lefty5
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
topspin is a direct correlation to how much racquet speed you have. thats it and thats all.

...and the # of mains/crosses, your grip, and your strings - kinda.

spindrop
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
i now use string savers and ther is
no increase in spin(note to phucng_10) this is lob-ster(the person who you helped with a lot of string issues) in a different account
i lost my password

phucng_10
10-30-2008, 07:35 PM
i now use string savers and ther is
no increase in spin(note to phucng_10) this is lob-ster(the person who you helped with a lot of string issues) in a different account
i lost my password

Hey lob-ster. Well it's not me that thinks string savers add spin, my friend thinks that. I for one, know that string savers have nothing to do with spins because all string savers does is to comfort the string bed area where it usually breaks.

theace21
10-30-2008, 09:55 PM
If string savers increased spin, don't you think all the pro would use them.

phucng_10
10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, I'll just let my friend waste his money on string savers and do whatever he wants. He doesn't want to listen to me so if he wastes money on string savers and find out that they have nothing to do with topspins, that's when he'll learn.

tata
10-31-2008, 11:12 PM
If theyr string savers then they help lengthen the string life.If they were spin enhancers then theyd probably be called that.If your friend doesnt even know where topspin comes from then i doubt he even plays to the point where he can even break a string,let alone use string savers. (unless he plays all flat)

kelz
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
they do impart on the strings, so it might have some effect (physics anyone?)

sixthsense
11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
i find they add a dampening effect (makes sense since they are of a rubbery consistency)

Nellie
11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
I find that the string savers do help my topspin.

I also find that 18/19 gauge, textured strings help my topspin.

If string savers increased spin, don't you think all the pro would use them.

I recall some pros using string savers to get extra bite on the ball for slice, even though they get/got free strings - let me think about it - oh yeah, they had names like Federer and Sampras

mikeler
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I remember Sampras used them, but I have not seen Federer use them before. Was that in Fed's early days?

Nellie
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I remember Sampras used them, but I have not seen Federer use them before. Was that in Fed's early days?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/newspage.html?cref=1953

mikeler
11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the link Nellie. Interesting that he only uses 10 string savers and they are only on 2 cross strings.

jrod
11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
they do impart on the strings, so it might have some effect (physics anyone?)

Not sure what you are suggesting here...string savers can help to minimize string movement, which could have some impact on the stringbed's ability to consistently produce spin. If true, I suspect the effect on spin is negligible compared to the other well-established contributing factors.

region2champion
11-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Not sure what you are suggesting here...string savers can help to minimize string movement, which could have some impact on the stringbed's ability to consistently produce spin. If true, I suspect the effect on spin is negligible compared to the other well-established contributing factors.

neerrrdd. jk:)

Be Cool
03-02-2009, 02:51 AM
string savers are to save your strings, not spin the ball!!!
If your friend wants more spin, then he/she should get the appropriate racket (open/string bed), string/tension and most importantly, work on technique.

joke-a-vich
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM

so all i have to do is take a big baseball swing and i will have super top spin:confused:
don't forget about the actual technique involved in topspin, like grip and the low to high motion:)

ag200boy
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Honestly, tennis is largely a mental game, and if he goes into a match with string-savers in, the confidence boost from the "spin" he gets from string savers will have much more of an impact on his game then the actual string savers do.

Bud
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
They do roughen up and raise the stringbed at the location they are installed... However, I never noticed any increased topspin with them inserted into the stringbed.

If you look at the stringbed on an angle... you can see just how much they lift the string. It's definitely noticeable.

charliefedererer
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
String savers can increase top spin in at least three ways.
First, they increase the bite of the string on the ball. If you use a lot of the string savers in the hitting zone, the over and under weave of the main and cross strings is accentuated. This results in greater friction at ball impact, so the amount of spin generated by an upward or downward motion of the racquet head is increased.
Second, the effect of the using a lot of string savers in the hitting zone is to increase the string tension, perhaps not a lot, but they do take up space that the main and cross stings have to traverse. We all know that "tighter" strings lead to more control. This occurs because we can hit harder at an angle to generate the topspin needed to bring the ball down into the court.
Thirdly, they decrease the "pocketing" effect on the ball. Because of the increased friction, the few long and cross strings that actually strike the ball can not elongate, or "pocket" the ball as much. This would be the same effect you could get by either playing with stiffer strings, or by stringing your racquet at a higher tension. The net effect would be that you could "hit out" harder on the ball to generate more topspin.
Now how much of a difference does all this really make?
Probably not that much, but in a "game of inches" its amaziing how tennis players think about racquet selection, string type, and string tension, which also only have a limited impact on our overall game. And watching the "MacCam" replays at the slams, its amazing how often the ball is just a few pixels in or out.
As for me, I use Babolat string savers over the whole racquet face to avoid breaking my string so often. Economically, its allowed me to use real gut both as a sole string and in a hybrid combination. For anyone who takes off their old strings themselves, you can really see the decreased notching that string savers can result in.

tennis_hand
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Honestly, tennis is largely a mental game, and if he goes into a match with string-savers in, the confidence boost from the "spin" he gets from string savers will have much more of an impact on his game then the actual string savers do.

then when he loses, he will know the savers don't create spin. lol

tennis_hand
03-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I just tried it out today. and i see no increase in my spin.
instead it makes my shots flatter because it stiffens my string bed.
and the stiffer feeling from the strings with these things sucks.

so unless u are using those expensive strings, i see no point using it. the annoyance is that ur string bed no longer feels the same.

charliefedererer
03-07-2009, 06:44 AM
String savers do not increase spin, just like racquets and string do not increase spin.
Tennis players create spin through the mechanics of their shots.
Changes in equipment allow you to change the way you hit the ball. A "player's" racquet and stiff/tight strings allow you strike the ball at an increased angle to create the spin necessary to keep the ball from going long.
Using string savers does change the string surface that is in contact with the ball.
But it is up to the player to modify his technique to the equipment he uses.
With string savers over the hitting zone, you should be able to modify your swing loop, the severity of your grip, and your contact point to produce more spin than if you did not have them.
But the change produced by them is small, probably less than you could achieve by going to a stiffer string, a tighter string tension or a less powerful racquet.
But the biggest change for spin patterns will always be the player's mechanics.
I'll bet Nadal could get more topspin using a frying pan than I could get with any fancy tennis equipment setup.

baseliner87
03-08-2009, 04:12 AM
they save your strings

DarthCow
03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I am using them now. About 20 in the sweetspot.

Although i started using them when i was trying out X-one Biphase. I originally thought it would give me more spin, but instead gave the stringbed a different feel; not a bad one necessarily, but a "different" one.

I thought, if textured and hexagonal strings give people increased bite and spin, why couldnt string savers?
They are bigger, and rougher. If they do not produce increased bite, then neither do textured strings.

JW10S
03-08-2009, 04:43 PM
If string savers really did increase bite and spin then a lot more pros would use them--but they don't. Only a very few pros use them. Strings break from rubbing against each other, not so much from contacting the ball. String savers reduce friction when the strings move across each other and therefore increase the time it takes for strings to break--no more. There is very good reason why they are simply called 'string savers' and not 'spin increasers'. And BTW, hexagonal, rough, textured, etc, strings do not produce more spin either. It all boils down to racquet speed and the angle of ascent.