PDA

View Full Version : Fin Genius racket?

gh65721
10-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Anyone here ever use a Fin Genius stick? I have a friend who found one at a garage sale and loves it. He said it is an Australian brand and would like to find another one.

treblings
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Sidney based racket company according to my sources. Produced rackets in the 80īs.
Can you post pictures?

aussie
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I remember them - always wanted one but never got one. From memory, they had a split throat with a rubber/elastomer insert or plug which they claimed reduced vibration. One of the Australian touring pros endorsed them, may have been Tony Roche or John Fitzgerald.

I remember going on a caravan holiday with my son whe he was quite young and I saw a range of Fin racquets in a sports store in Coonababran in mid New South Wales and very nearly bought one. Would have been about 1989. Had a brochure for them, may even still have it in my old tennis cupboard downstairs. Will have a look later. They weren't a popular racquet for whatever reason, but they looked well made with this revolutionary (for that time) split throat idea.

I'll see if I can dig up anymore info on them. aussie.

TW Staff
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
My first ever coach used that racquet. I hit with it a few times. Quite flexible if I remember correctly -- especially towards the tip.

Kuebler's History of Tennis Racquets cover the brand pretty well if you want more info. That book is fairly hard to find, though.

Check this article for more info on Kuebler:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/kuebler.html

Chris, TW

Duzza
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I strung one of these bad boys up a few weeks back. The customer was an old bloke who kept going on about the amazing rubber throat thingy...first of it's kind or something he said. Was an absolute ***** to string though, the grommets were worn out to say the least.

AndrewD
10-31-2008, 09:44 PM
One of the Australian touring pros endorsed them, may have been Tony Roche or John Fitzgerald.

Tony Roche wasn't a touring pro when Fin started business and I don't recall him ever using Fin but it was possible as he did seem to have a different racquet every time you saw him (unlikely though, unless it was something he only used in Australia. Mizuno and Fox were his main ones during the Fin era) John Fitgerald certainly didn't use it (ProKennex, Puma then Estusa).

Peter McNamara used Fin, as did most of the coaches at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne - for a time. I don't remember which model but it was an oversize version with a gold or silver finish. It was the most expensive, that's all I can recall. An average racquet and not really worth the money. Performance was okay but nothing to write home about.

aussie
11-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Tony Roche wasn't a touring pro when Fin started business and I don't recall him ever using Fin but it was possible as he did seem to have a different racquet every time you saw him (unlikely though, unless it was something he only used in Australia. Mizuno and Fox were his main ones during the Fin era) John Fitgerald certainly didn't use it (ProKennex, Puma then Estusa).

Peter McNamara used Fin, as did most of the coaches at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne - for a time. I don't remember which model but it was an oversize version with a gold or silver finish. It was the most expensive, that's all I can recall. An average racquet and not really worth the money. Performance was okay but nothing to write home about.

You're right - it was Peter MacNamara, possibly at the end of his playing career. They never took off, but looked okay.

Tennisguy777
11-02-2008, 04:41 PM
a guy I know had a white Fin. I thought the rubber built in vibration technique was very modern of them. Well Prince had something similar on their CTS series of racquets in the early 90's

JW10S
11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
John Lloyd also used a Fin racquet for a time.