PDA

View Full Version : APD/PD players with western grip?

topspinmonkey5
10-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Just wondering, do you guys hit the ball like nadal, when it comes to form? On low balls with a western grip it is hard to swing THROUGH the ball on low balls. High balls are a piece of cake, as we all know. On low balls it looks like nadal/andreev do the bowling ball shot, hitting behind him and whipping up in an open stance.

Does anyone here hit like this at a 4.5+ level? Again the high balls are easy to crush, but the low balls im trying to figure out with the western grip. How do you handle them?

topspinmonkey5
10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Another question: do you use your normal grip size, or do you go down 1 or 2 sizes like rafa?

ClayisFun
10-30-2008, 09:17 AM
you might want to move this to the instruction section, but, to answer your question, yes, on low balls I tend to hit a reverse forehand off the back foot because it allows you to lift the ball up over the net. I use my normal grip size 4 1/2.

Daycrawler
10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
A great friend of mine hits a western with this racket. watching him hit he just either gets down and swings through the ball, great timing, or he will hit a low forehand slice back at an angle, he is good at his so it doesn't sacrifice offense for him.

kanjii
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
What is a reverse forehand grip?
I hit low ball like those bowlers who have those extreme spins...a lot of wrist or I would get the racquet under the ball using a volley grip and underhand slice/push it over the net with a lot of spin.

sonicboi21
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
i use APDC and with a a western grip. when i have to hit a low ball, i usually hit it with topspin instead of slicing it. i dont do a full swing, but i do a reverse forehand and dont do the follow through. for me this results in major topspin but not a lot of depth. but the topspin makes up for the loss in depth

ronalditop
10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
to me low balls are not that hard to hit. i just get down a little and hit it hard finishing with the racquet at my head level. to be able to swing fast enough in order to generate lots of spin i use a small grip, about 5 mm of space between my ring finger and palm.
if i increise by even just a little the gripsize i dont gererate good spin and i end up throwing the ball off court