PDA

View Full Version : Golden Pro Set

spt
10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but pretty amazing feat - from Zootennis.com

"For those of you not familiar with the terminology, a golden set refers to a set in which the victor wins every point. According to Wikipedia, it has happened only once in professional tennis when Bill Scanlon did it back in 1983.

As amazing a feat as that is, Conor Pollock and Austin Krajicek exceeded even that, playing a golden match in the first round of the South Central Regional doubles. Although a college doubles match at the regional level is only one eight-game set, it is hard to imagine winning 32 points in a row. But that's what Pollock and Krajicek did against Prairie View A&M's Jose Garcia and Kudakwashe Nyatoti last week. Pollock and Krajicek went on to win the regional title, beating three different Texas Longhorn teams en route."

Coach Carter
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
One of my players (Paul Haney from Corpus Christi, TX) had a golden match last year at the fall conference individual tournament...I believe against a player from Sul Ross State University...don't have "my book" here at the house. After the first 3 or so games he knew it was a walk-over and just "worked on stuff", rolling balls back. The entire match took about 25 minutes...really unfortunate.

Rickson
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I gave a golden bagel once, but my opponent was an absolute beginner and I was a beginner at the time. I was just glad I never double faulted.

Dave Mc
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Yep, I'm not that surprised... I've watched my son play Conor Pollock in juniors, and I've watched my son play practice matches against the #1 and #2 singles players from PVAM. The difference is night and day. Even though PVAM is D-I, they are weaker than many decent D-II, D-III, and JC's.

gully
11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't imagine a golden set, much less a pro-set, possible in doubles at this level.

Couldn't almost any college-level team win one point on serve in four games? It's easier for me to imagine a golden pro set in singles than in men's doubles,