PDA

View Full Version : Spinny Strings + Left Handed = Nadal's Success

misterchris
10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Of all the top players, I like watching Nadal the least. He seems to demonstrate less skill and variety than the other players. I am by no means an expert on tennis, but it seems that Nadal's skill is a result of being left handed and having access to new racquet/string technology.

His lefty crosscourt forehand is up against most players backhands. His playstyle is to constantly launch high probababilty, uber-topspin (hard to return) shots. He doesn't go for many winners and rather than rely upon shot placement to construct points, seems to rely upon his opponents making errors based upon difficulty returning his heavy balls.

Because of the spin, his matches have fewer flat balls, generally lower speed enabling him to retrieve most shots. His serve is average.

My feeling is that Nadal's game would not work as well if he were a right hander. The combination of new technology, left handedness, and trend towards slower surfaces is contributing to his success.

Is this the future of pro tennis? I would rather the game reward big serves than the anomoly of being left handed.

matchmaker
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Get a life.

Mc Enroe was only number one because he was a lefthander who dinked balls all over the court.
Sampras was number one because he had a good serve.
All Agassi could do was bash balls from the baseline.
Federer would not even be top 20 without his forehand.

Yeah, I know a lot of these worthless hypotheses. Just accept it, Nadal has earned respect, just like any of the aforementioned players. He is not a retriever but he actually tries to dominate each point. He had an incredible year and should be appreciated for that. Results say more than the sore words of a talktennis poster in this.

misterchris
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I disagree. Of all the players on your list, Agassi's game was probably most similar, but his game was much more dynamic as are all the other player's on your list. Nadal is the least skilled of all the players you mention.

fantom
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Of all the top players, I like watching Nadal the least. He seems to demonstrate less skill and variety than the other players.
^^^
All opinion...you are entitled, but you obviously don't know much about tennis.

I am by no means an expert on tennis, but it seems that Nadal's skill is a result of being left handed and having access to new racquet/string technology.
^^^
Wouldn't you say that other lefties on tour have access to the same equipment? Most of the other lefties probably even have better serves than Nadal. Did you ever wonder why they aren't dominant like Nadal?

His lefty crosscourt forehand is up against most players backhands. His playstyle is to constantly launch high probababilty, uber-topspin (hard to return) shots. He doesn't go for many winners and rather than rely upon shot placement to construct points, seems to rely upon his opponents making errors based upon difficulty returning his heavy balls.
^^^
What you're missing here is not understanding just how much skill it takes to hit a forehand like Nadal against a ball hit by another professional. The racquet head-speed and angle of approach on the ball are so extreme that it takes phenomenal timing to do it with consistency.

Because of the spin, his matches have fewer flat balls, generally lower speed enabling him to retrieve most shots. His serve is average.
^^^
What about when he hits a backhand to his opponent's forehand? Do you really think that they don't have the ability to hit flat balls back to him? You're seriously underestimating his speed and his hand-eye coordination.

My feeling is that Nadal's game would not work as well if he were a right hander. The combination of new technology, left handedness, and trend towards slower surfaces is contributing to his success.
^^^
He probably wouldn't have so many wins over Federer. He'd still have 4 RG wins, though. This guy is gifted in every way that all of the all-time greats were gifted. Physically, mentally, tennis IQ....

Is this the future of pro tennis? I would rather the game reward big serves than the anomoly of being left handed.[/
^^^
Everything is cyclical...

VAmazona
10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Of all the top players, I like watching Nadal the least. He seems to demonstrate less skill and variety than the other players. I am by no means an expert on tennis...

And that was when I stopped reading, opened up my flask, and sighed.

SoCal10s
10-30-2008, 11:48 AM
every generation in every sports has had innovators who has develop or can do certain things better than their competitors... B.Borg did it with his two fisted backhand... Sampras did it with his serve,J.Mac. did it with his touch and serve/volley.. Lendl with his power... same in golf,with Tiger...ect...
Nadal deserves all the credit in the world for doing something that no one else can figure out how to beat... the next move is maybe some one will come along and slice or cut the ball with every shot in similar style as Santoro but better.. it's harder to hit an aggressive shot from a low ball than a high one..
I used to think Nadal would not last but here he is making tennis a bit different than what everyone expects... that's good... no? lol

misterchris
10-30-2008, 12:07 PM

That said you might as well cancel your account here. Good bye. The internet will miss you.

oest10
10-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Haha, so true! :wink:

veroniquem
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I love Nadal's passing shots on the run. They're very spectacular.

oneleggedcardinal
10-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm not a fan of Nadal's style, but I'm glad he's playing and making things competitive. I mean, come on, don't act as if hard work and heart aren't part of this game.

misterchris
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm not a fan of Nadal's style, but I'm glad he's playing and making things competitive. I mean, come on, don't act as if hard work and heart aren't part of this game.

No doubt, if he was a righty, he'd still be a top 10 player. But my point is that I do not think he would be #1.

BallzofSkill
10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
funny how many people accuse nadal of being boring. he really is hard to watch.great athlete and superb tennis player but it's unbearable for whatever reason. the simon/nadal match was the only one i watched where nadal was playing and it was only because simon was making it interesting.

rocket
10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
but it seems that Nadal's skill is a result of being left handed and having access to new racquet/string technology.

Nadal is the best natural mover on clay I've seen. He's so sure footed & hits the ball from all angles with such power & accuracy [on clay] it's uncanny.

You give a Babolat frame & a set of poly strings to another lefty & I can assure you the result won't be the same.

checkmilu
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Nadal is not better than other top 10 in term of skills & tactic but he is no1 (now) because of two reasons:
1-his mentality is stronger
2-His physical condition is stronger

msc886
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Not another conclusion based on " If it wasn't for (____), (_____) wouldn't have a certain degree of success." Every top player has something unique about them that allows them to win. We could argue about Federer's forehand, roddick's serve etc.

Valdez737
10-30-2008, 04:52 PM
STFU and stop *****ing
Nadal hits just as many winners as any one out thr.

raygo
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Nadal is not better than other top 10 in term of skills & tactic but he is no1 (now) because of two reasons:
1-his mentality is stronger
2-His physical condition is stronger

I would add that he almost never donates points to his opponents. He does remind me of a modern-day Agassi, but where Andre would aggressively go for winners, Rafa forces errors through heavy yet high percentage shots.

This is why he's the perfect foil for Roger. Roger is the consummate attacker, and Rafa the consummate defender--if they were boxers, Roger would look for the headshot (since he usually finds them) while Rafa would wear him down with bodyblows and go for 12 rounds.

At the moment, Rafa's bodyblows have gotten much stronger, and Roger can't find the headshot.

christinamaniac7
10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Another stupid hater!!! get over it ya troll...

raygo
10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Is this the future of pro tennis? I would rather the game reward big serves than the anomoly of being left handed.

I do find the emerging 'universal' style of play to be kind of boring to watch. Imagine watching football if passing disappeared and everyone just rushed. Or getting rid of three-pointers in basketball...

Nadal_Monfils
10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
If Federer was a lefty he wouldn't even be in the top 100 because his forehand would be too spinny and he would just be a no talent top spin monkey.

bladepdb
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Of all the top players, I like watching Nadal the least. He seems to demonstrate less skill and variety than the other players. I am by no means an expert on tennis, but it seems that Nadal's skill is a result of being left handed and having access to new racquet/string technology.

Ok the bolded portions above really bug me....

If I'm not mistaken, ALL the players on the pro tour today have access to the same technology Nadal does. I fail to see why your argument has even a drop of merit simply based on the fact that you're basing it on "spinny strings" and "new technology."

ThugNasty
10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
If Federer was a lefty he wouldn't even be in the top 100 because his forehand would be too spinny and he would just be a no talent top spin monkey.
Why are you describing nadal?

misterchris
10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok the bolded portions above really bug me....

If I'm not mistaken, ALL the players on the pro tour today have access to the same technology Nadal does. I fail to see why your argument has even a drop of merit simply based on the fact that you're basing it on "spinny strings" and "new technology."

He is left handed and has chosen to exploit the technology. Not everyone has chosen to do this or was trained in this fashion. Few are left handed. Does this mean he is one of the best players? I'm not sure. I would say his winning is testament to the innovation of his coaching.

My assertion is that it works for him particularly well because he is left handed. I dont see any more mental strenght or athleticism on display from Nadal that is not common for the top 20.

aaron 3000
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
He is left handed and has chosen to exploit the technology. Not everyone has chosen to do this or was trained in this fashion. Few are left handed. Does this mean he is one of the best players? I'm not sure. I would say his winning is testament to the innovation of his coaching.

My assertion is that it works for him particularly well because he is left handed. I dont see any more mental strenght or athleticism on display from Nadal that is not common for the top 20.

Another Nadal shock thread? :?

Anyways, do you know that Nadal is NOT naturally left-handed? He deserves all the success he's achieved because of all the work he has put in. Not only did he have to learn to play tennis, but had to do it with his non-dominant hand. He gave himself a disadvantage by learning to play the game with his weaker hand. All his hard work, in turn, made this lefty forehand an advantage over righties.

Exploit the technology? This is ridiculous also. Roddick is one of the original players to use Babolat's 'powerful' frames. Does that mean his monster serve is all due to him exploiting technology? It's unfair to the other players that Roddick dishes out aces left and right. At least Nadal's 'spinny strings' allows other players to get into a rally. :roll:

Oh, wait! The Pure Drive is one of the most popular racquets on tour! Who's exploiting technology now?

phoenicks
10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
So can I say, Federer's forehand is due to his K90 which allows him to aim for the lines easily, that he's exploiting the precision of the racquet. Same for Sampras, he's small headed racquet is to blame for his great serve and volley. Same for Agassi, exploiting the big head racquet for the returns of serve. Bottomline, all pros choose equipment that best optimize their strength.

How about that, ATP should just set a rule to ban the pro's from using equipment to optimize their best stroke, that all should just use equipment that blunt their strength and expose their weaknesses even more??? so that, the following pro would use the below racquet,

Federer and Sampras - Gamma Big Bubba
Agassi - Prostaff 6.0 midsize 85

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
10-31-2008, 01:09 AM
So can I say, Federer's forehand is due to his K90 which allows him to aim for the lines easily, that's he's exploiting the precision of the racquet of the racquet. Same for sampras, he's small headed racquet is to blame for his great serve and volley. Same for agassi, exploiting the big head racquet for the returns of serve. Bottomline, all pros choose equipment that best optimize their strength.

How about that, ATP should just set a rule to ban the pro's from using equipment to optimize their best stroke, that all should just use quipment that blunt their strength and expose their weaknesses even more???

AYA Touché!! :)

Tempest344
10-31-2008, 01:23 AM
No doubt, if he was a righty, he'd still be a top 10 player. But my point is that I do not think he would be #1.

but he isn't a righty and he's number 1..end of story

lolza
10-31-2008, 05:11 AM

you are pathetic, i dont see any other leftys in the top 10. and nadal is a freak, i have never ever seen anyone hit the ball the way he does. and WTF, all because hes left handed doesnt mean he ahs new access to different equipment. how old are you btw ?

wangs78
10-31-2008, 05:51 AM

I think that being LH does indeed give Nadal a big advantage and the advantage increases with the more topspin he puts on his shot (esp to the 1H BH side of a righty player, such as Federer). But Nadal has a lot of other great qualities as well, such as great agility and speed, deft touch, ability to hit from anywhere on court and last but not least an indomitable spirit. Any effort to take away from what he's done is unfair. It's true, if he were RH I think there is a good chance he would not be #1 in the world today, but he is a lefty and other players have time to prepare for matches against him, as Federer has and Federer just can't beat him, esp. on clay.

veroniquem
10-31-2008, 06:12 AM

You're right, Nadal has no mental strength and no athleticism, he just picked the right new racket. Why don't you get the same one and show us how easy it is to become #1 with the right kind of technology? (alternately you could attempt to explain why all the other mediocre players out there (and lefty) don't just use the same technology as Nadal and all become #1 as a result)

ksbh
10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
The OP is another clueless *******. Typical Federer fanboy trying to diminish Nadal's achievements.

X_Factor
10-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Being a Left Handed player gives me hope now. I can get the same racket and string combination as Nadal to make it to number one! :) According the misterchris Nadal has choosen to exploit the technology making him number one in the world. Gee if im not mistaken most pros today exploit it as well?

rocket
10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
The lefty discussion:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrBVCJjE9A

slicekick95
10-31-2008, 12:25 PM
lets fail this thread and get it over with