PDA

View Full Version : Do dampeners die?

ChuDat
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I was wondering do vibration dampeners die, like do they been to stop absorbing shock after a long time of playing?

zidane339
10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Rubber bands naturally lose tension so yes, in that case.

autumn_leaf
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
only if it falls out.

as for rubberbands you can just tie them tighter. usually rubber bands mutes it too much for me.

Nuke
10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I have to change my smiley face dampener after every 12 hours of play. You can probably go a bit longer if you're not a heavy hitter and hit mostly flat shots. :wink:

volusiano
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Are you guys expecting the dampeners to just mute the annoying ping sound, or to actually absorb vibration as in help prevent tennis elbow?

If the earlier, then how can they "die"? As long as they don't fall off the stringbed, they will mute the ping sound.

If you're expecting the dampeners to help prevent tennis elbow, dream on.

rabidturtle
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Are you guys expecting the dampeners to just mute the annoying ping sound, or to actually absorb vibration as in help prevent tennis elbow?

If the earlier, then how can they "die"? As long as they don't fall off the stringbed, they will mute the ping sound.

If you're expecting the dampeners to help prevent tennis elbow, dream on.

I think a good dampener can prevent tennis elbow. I find a significant change in vibration when I use a Gamma Worm Dampener compared to Wilson Smiley Faces.

volusiano
10-31-2008, 04:29 AM
I think a good dampener can prevent tennis elbow. I find a significant change in vibration when I use a Gamma Worm Dampener compared to Wilson Smiley Faces.

If that's the case, why are people still getting tennis elbow if they can simply buy a good dampener to prevent it?

wyutani
10-31-2008, 04:41 AM
like humans, yes, eventually, dampeners will die.

princemidplus
10-31-2008, 04:51 AM
dampeners may wear over time and perish as rubber does. how long depends on conditions of use really (weather you play in)

tennis elbow is more a result of frame vibrations so dampeners do not make a huge difference to tennis elbow although for a few people it appears to work so they may have some benefit. worth a try to see if it helps you

origmarm
10-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Rubber bands yes. Some dampeners I have had have perished or torn where they meet the string (particularly the old Wilson Ws). If they do not appear cosmetically damaged I would assume they are fine.

ronalditop
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
i use a dampener only to change the ugly sound that my racquet makes without it. when I play without a dampener, i feel like im hitting with a frying pan.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
yes they die for me about every month

JW10S
10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I think a good dampener can prevent tennis elbow.You may think that, but it's not true.

Element54
10-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I have to change my smiley face dampener after every 12 hours of play. You can probably go a bit longer if you're not a heavy hitter and hit mostly flat shots. :wink:

Speaketh the truth!

Xtreme
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Speaketh the truth!i'm sorry i thought this was funny

Daycrawler
11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Just don't use them. I don't, get more feel on the racket.

Nanshiki
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Liquid-filled ones can break.

Rubber bands will dry out and break.

Rubber types MAY get hard after a few years... depending on the material.

I wouldn't worry about it.

BLuu21
11-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Yea, the liquid ones such as the shockbuster can bust. Its not a pretty sight either. On different dampeners I been using the babolat alien for about a year? and its still doing wonders for my racquet

rabidturtle
11-01-2008, 10:09 PM
If that's the case, why are people still getting tennis elbow if they can simply buy a good dampener to prevent it?

Because they probably have bad technique =p

The racket I'm using vibrates alot and I find a significant difference between a wilson smiley vs gamma worm. That's just my two cents.

I tell you what you want to hear, though. There are many factors that contribute to tennis elbow. Age, Technique, personal health issues, String, Racket, Dampeners...and you can't just blame/give credit to one.

As for the OP's topic, yes materials deteriorate over time, so one would think that dampeners die

Petekbladetour1
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
What?:confused:. I have used the smiley dampener for probably over a 100 hours and it is perfectly fine.

Tofi
11-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I've used the P vibration dampner for over 5 months and its still perfect.

JW10S
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Dampeners do not die...

BLuu21
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
What?:confused:. I have used the smiley dampener for probably over a 100 hours and it is perfectly fine.

Hes just pulling your leg, don't trip :). As far as I know dampeners don't die out, it's just after a while you might decide its time to switch or get a new one.

DrTennis
12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I was wondering do vibration dampeners die, like do they been to stop absorbing shock after a long time of playing?

Yes. Sunlight and even the air itself drys and cracks all things made of rubber. Gell dampeners can split open (nasty stuff inside), worm types with plastic hooks can also crack...and of course plug types that fit in between the stings fly off....(except band types you tie on).

vmosrafa08
12-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Mine just fell off... I'm too lazy to buy another one, so I just live with the "ping" sound...

tenis
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Dampeners do not die...

I feel so sorry, but I have to kill the rubber band everytime I have to restring.

rafael17_13@hotmail.com
12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

maybe because it just helps not got it doesn't mean you won't. If the racket is vibrating it can hurt your arm. It doesn't mean you will get tennis elbow with out damp but some people may or at least feel some pain.

Dom Pedro
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
That's easy. When :) on a smiley face dampener will start looking like :( you should change it as soon as possible.

Gottabekin
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM

Does the smiley face cry after 12 hours?

Booyah
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
ive had my dampeners for like 3 years.... they work fine?

ckwon1564
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
like humans, yes, eventually, dampeners will die.

EMOOOOOOO much?
its already been said but ill 2nd the notion
anything made of rubber will dry out eventually
but most likely (in my opinion, no firsthand or scientific basis) your dampener will not dry out before you have to restring, so if you use a rubber band then you dont worry about that problem, if your using a hardcore dampener that you use over and over i think youll be able to tell when its not working well

That's easy. When :) on a smiley face dampener will start looking like :( you should change it as soon as possible.

this man right here sounds like hes got the jist of when to change dampeners

NightBandit
12-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I've had the same two dampeners on my racquets for the past ten years and they still look, feel and work like new. As a matter of fact, they've out-lasted my last pair of racquets.

NightBandit

RestockingTues
12-14-2008, 02:28 PM
When my smily face dampeners start frowning at me that's when I throw them out.

Miami83095
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I dont think they die, but during the winter, the Sampras 0 Dampners freeze up and get very solid therefore you cannot take them out without cutting them open. Terrible choice during winterr

ThA_Azn_DeViL
12-14-2008, 04:15 PM
When my smily face dampeners start frowning at me that's when I throw them out.

djokovics is pretty old then... (sorry if he has a smiley, i thought it was frowning =D)

morten
12-15-2008, 01:51 AM
LOL, we really are freaks on this board ... :) love it

DarthCow
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM
It is vital that you change your dampener as soon as it dies.
Otherwise you will face arm pain.

Im a chronic dampener-breaker.
Im looking for a really durable one, because i cant go 1 set without my dampener dying.

Its really affecting my wallet ATM

lol jks.