PDA

View Full Version : AG 100..ok i have one..now what

markwillplay
10-31-2008, 01:45 PM
I know I will need to weight the handle significantly. I like my sticks very headlight and I have my main sticks mic prestige pro very headlight and heavy. Came with lux so I will cut that out immediately. Looking at a multi or perhaps even gut. What tension are you guys using that is contolable and soft? I served and volleyd petty well today (with the mpp) and I can't wait to serve and volley with this thing after reading all the hype. I am hoping that the volleys will be even more directional with fewer suprises. I just had to pick one up to see if I would like it. Tell me about your set ups. Keep in mind that I play with mic prest pro at about 10 pts headlight and 12.7 oz. Lots of weight in the handle and the swingweight is really light for a stick that heavy. Almost too light really but I like it.

Talk to me rabbit

zoobears
11-01-2008, 01:26 AM
just weigh it up and see. some people think low tension between 50-55 is good. i wish i could get 1!

markwillplay
11-01-2008, 05:17 AM
I have it weighted up to about 12.4 oz with overgrip and no lead in the hoop so I am hoping that it is solid without lead in the hoop. Feels like it swings heavier than my heads that weigh more. Man those prestige pros really do have a light swingweight. I will report back with a comparison of the two frames. I am almost hoping I don't like it. If I do, well, I am sure I will be hinting a twin

ls206
11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
you will like it :D
I enjoyed syn gut at low tension but string movement was a bit annoying. tension was prob around 46-48lbs

It felt solid to me with no lead in the hoop.

TonyB
11-01-2008, 05:46 AM
First off, it's not a miracle stick. You're not going to magically start serving and volleying like Sampras or anything. In stock form, it's pretty lacking in many areas. But properly weighted, it has good, if not great, potential. However, it plays noticeably stiffer than the specs and improperly struck balls will definitely land short, at best. The racquet swings fast, very fast, which can produce some good power if your stroke mechanics are sound. It most definitely serves absolute bombs and spin production is above average.

I have mine leaded up to 348g with 10g in the buttcap and 6g at 3 and 9 o'clock. Stock is 315g + 17g strings + 16g lead = 348g. I have another frame that I replaced the original grip with TW leather + overgrip and removed some weight in the buttcap to compensate, bringing the max weight back to 348g.

Anyways, in my hands it most definitely needed lead. But I'm still not sure I can get used to the racquet's stiffness. Only time will tell.

Rabbit
11-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I am glad to see your post. I've seen some folks talk about the AG100 needing weight in the head, and you want weight in the handle....mine were just right as delivered. Well...I say that, almost just right. With the AG100 as with any frame, I put a leather grip on it. I did get away from leather for a while, when I left the ProStaff and moved to the Hammer 5.0, but came back to it when I bought some Yonex RD-Tour 90s. But I digress.

To me, the AG100 is perfectly weighted as is. After regionals this year, I wanted something lighter and more maneuverable than the C10s I had played with long-term. I had done a pretty lenghty and protracted demo search and ordered the AG100 from TW's demo along with a Head frame, Yonex frame, and another Dunlop, the 500. I am also in complete agreement that the Heads do swing light, at least the one I demoed.

Anyway, the initial quality of the AG100 that I liked was the fun factor. It's just plain fun to play with. I did, by accident, make sure of one thing. I demoed a Prince Original Mid and loved it. I love it so much so that I pulled the trigger and bought some. Unfortunately, I never could duplicate the feel of the demo even going so far as to use PSG. With the Dunlop, the strings broke at the end of the first session so I was forced to restring it. I did so with a multi at 60 pounds and since then have never looked back.

I think the AG100 plays flexible. Centering the ball on the string bed feels like hitting a ball with a wood racket, and pretty much sounds like that too. I've got a couple strung with Pacific Classic at 60 pounds and even other guys I've hit with have commented on the sound. The AG100 does play firmer than the C10, but then again, what doesn't?

Serves are noticably better with the AG100. They have more pace, direction, and spin than with the C10. I don't know if that's attributable to an increase in tension, a change in string from poly to multi and/or gut, the racket, or a combination of the above but my serve is noticably improved.

The AG100 is very easy to use at net too. I've found it, as others have noted ad nauseum :), to be a scalpel at net. It volleys better than any racket I've used in a long time. Overheads, when centered, again feel like wood. You can feel the frame wrap around the ball and cup it.

Groundstrokes, especially my backhand, are loaded with spin and I've not had any problem generating pace. Since going to the Dunlop, and more importantly not using poly, I've returned to a relaxed grip on the frame which results in more spin and racket head speed.

Tension-wise is where I've been the most amazed. With the C10, and poly, I never went over 54 pounds. With the AG100 and a multi or gut or gut/multi hybrid, I'm stringing at 60 pounds and loving it. I have thought of going up/down a few pounds to experiment, but then ask why since I love the way it hits. Another big bonus for me is that I don't use a dampener with this frame. It feels solid and sounds likewise without one. I just never liked those dadgum things and am glad to be rid of them.

markwillplay
11-01-2008, 10:10 AM
thanks for the comments. I have gotten away from leather and will just lead up the handle instead. I am really looking forward to hitting with it. I serve and volley anyway so I am not looking for a miricle stick. Every now and thenm I will have a volley jump on me a little (suprise me) off the mppro and I am interested to see how forgiving but directional this stick is. I think the mic prest pro is tough to beat all around and I have dialed them in for me about as good as I can I think, but I have always volleyed a little better with a smaller head and this was such a good deal. I do like very stable on volleys and we'll see if thiws one is a stable without lead in the hoop as the head is.

Rabbit
11-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I can tell you that compared to the C10, the AG100 is much easier to volley with. Again, I don't know if it was the poly or what, but the AG100 with gut or a multi or hybrid of the two is much better, especially when coming in behind your serve.

skierpaul
11-01-2008, 10:09 PM
The AG100 was my 2nd choice, after my Vantage, of about 25 midsized and mid+ players sticks that I demoed.

I loved the sweet feel of the ball contact, great sound. The racket served well for me and was agile at the net. However I did have trouble returning shots deep with it. This was one of the deciding factors for me. Adding weight would have made the racket, just a tad too heavy. All in all, I would have ended up with the AG100, if I hadn't gotten a random chance to demo the Vantage on a trip to Atlanta.

The Vantage feels completely different from the AG100. The Dunlop wins out on feel alone. The only racket that felt similar to the AG100 for me was the Head Microgel Prestiege Mid.

markwillplay
11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Finally got to play with this stick today. It has lux 5 star in it and I will be ripping that out but I wanted to at least play with it once before I did. I really liked it. I had a bit of lead in the hoop at 3 and 9 and a bunch in the handle. As the match wore on, I removed the weight from the head and it was a bit easier to get head speed on ground strokes. Volleys very nice and has fewer suprises off string bed at net than the mic prest pro. It does not feel as plush to me but I think that had more to do wit the string. I will get it strung with either nat git or a good soft multi at around 57-58 I think. I mis hit a few slices but It was easier to control the topspin 1hbh for sure. My guess is that this stick will plry well with leather only. I think I have it weighted up to about 12.3-5 without any lead in the hoop. Seems to have good power and more so than my heads but that has a lot to do with string choice and tension as well. I thought it had OK power for me with the lux (I was taking huge cuts) but will be dialed in nicely with gut or multi. This stick may be a new one for me if it feels more comfy with the different string.

jatnut
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
After getting mine I couldnt get the feel with the orig grip so after reading on the forum I switched to leather and its a night and day. diff. Try it. I also found no need to add lead although Ive played with hard hitters.

markwillplay
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm gona get some leather and take some weight (lead ) off. I think it will come out about the same actually. I am really tempted to use full VS gut.

ls206
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I've just tried Weiss-Cannon Repulse mains and Pro Supex Maxim Touch crosses.
I've written a mini review in the strings section (:D)
I strung low and found it to be very crisp and precise - really liked it.

Pushmaster
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I can't see buying a new stick and having to add weight in order to make it work. Why not just get something that weighs 12+ ounces stock?

TonyB
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I can't see buying a new stick and having to add weight in order to make it work. Why not just get something that weighs 12+ ounces stock?

I can speak from personal experience: because I would rather customize a lighter frame to match my own preferred specs than buy something off-the-shelf that you can't customize because it's already too heavy or has too high of a swingweight.

The AG100 has a low swingweight (around 310) and a fairly low static weight for a midsized frame. You can customize it within a HUGE range of playability by adding lead.

If only every manufacturer would make their midsized racquets under 12 oz. strung, with a low swingweight, and balance 12 points HL, I'd be in heaven. But the off-the-shelf frames are either swing too heavy or aren't balanced enough head light.

kkm
11-09-2008, 05:26 AM
(double post) Using my unmodified AG100 the first time, to warm up before a match I ended up playing with my unmodified POG, it felt a bit too "dampened." But the next time, playing a match with the AG100, felt normal. Thinking about it, I have the same experience with my POG. I think it's "breaking in" the VS 17 @ 62 right after stringing. Once that's done, which is usually accomplished by playing the first time after stringing, it's good.

morten
11-09-2008, 05:58 AM
now get rid of it... hated that stick...