PDA

View Full Version : PT280 or PT630

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a chance to buy either of these frames, though don't know which to choose. Can Head/PT experts please help me out:

PT280 is the Made in Austria version. No CAPS.
PT630 is also Made in Austria. WITH CAPS.

Also, PT630 is priced 2 times more expensive, versus 280! Really do not know which to choose (conditions pretty much same)

I tried to make searches on these sticks. Searching is hard due to minimum 3 character rule, but yet there are tons of info/clubs regarding this frame. But when there is too much info going on, it also makes it hard to learn about these sticks.

Can anybody please compare the playing characteristics of these two sticks (PT280 v. PT630)?
I couldnt find much info regarding specs, but I think swingweight of 280 without CAPS is 320?
And PT630 is 350? Can someone please confirm these?

320 swingweight is definitely more preferable to my game. Although I am not sure if it will feel flimsy, compared to cap grommet 630...

Also, regarding collectability, should I rather go with the 2x more expensive PT630, thinking it might retain/gain value?

Any opinions or links are highly appreciated!

hyogen
10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
there is an official thread dedicated to PT630/280s.

280 is more stiff. pt630 is more flexible
both are considered buttery though...a joy to hit with. I've only hit with the 280.

Both can have the CAPS put on.

amx13
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey hyogen, I wonder wich grommet set should I order to have the full CAPS on the 280?.

Bud
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey hyogen, I wonder wich grommet set should I order to have the full CAPS on the 280?.

LM Prestige Mid+ or Microgel Prestige Mid+

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 03:42 PM
well i would appreciate it if some people can chime in their thoughts for the OP as well :)

Also, is there anyone who hit with both CAP grommets and without them?
Possible to compare what difference do CAPs make serve/feel/stability and maneuverability wise?

amx13
10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
LM Prestige Mid+ or Microgel Prestige Mid+

Thanks a lot Bud!

Hey grymrat76, I havent played with the 630, but after testing several 280s, Ive found that the "Designed in Austria" version feels a bit softer than the "Made in Austria" ones. I own both of them, and the "Design in Austria" are my favorites.

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks a lot Bud!

Hey grymrat76, I havent played with the 630, but after testing several 280s, Ive found that the "Designed in Austria" version feels a bit softer than the "Made in Austria" ones. I own both of them, and the "Design in Austria" are my favorites.

I JUST purchased the Made in Austria PT630 version with CAPS. Hopefully I did the right thing!!!

Speedygonzalez
10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Regardless whether you bought the PT630 or PT280, buying one of those is just the right thing. Buy as many as you can.

Deuce
10-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I JUST purchased the Made in Austria PT630 version with CAPS. Hopefully I did the right thing!!!
Well... if the 280 was half the price of the 630, and everything else was more or less equal, then the logical answer would have been to buy the 280, and buy a set of CAPs ($5) to put on it and try it out.

Unless you WANT to spend as much money as possible...

Bud
10-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I just happen to have one for sale in the FS section :)

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Well... if the 280 was half the price of the 630, and everything else was more or less equal, then the logical answer would have been to buy the 280, and buy a set of CAPs ($5) to put on it and try it out.

Unless you WANT to spend as much money as possible...

No, I do not want to spend as much dough as possible :) But it just appeared to me that, PT630s have some more collectable value over PT280s. Perhaps I am wrong as I am new to Heads, new to 18x20 patterns..

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 11:53 PM
I just happen to have one for sale in the FS section :)

tried searching your listing at for sale section but couldnt find it...how much u asking for? I just wanna know if I stiffed or got stiffed :)

gymrat76
10-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Regardless whether you bought the PT630 or PT280, buying one of those is just the right thing. Buy as many as you can.

Yeah, I agree, I think. Where I live, pretty much everyone and his uncle plays with Heads. I seriously need I need to unload on my recent babolat fetish and go back to touch and feel of of the classics...

Speedygonzalez
11-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Take my advice with a grain of salt, it just indicates how much I like this stick. What works for me, may not work for someone else. I hope that you will enjoy the PT630 too.

Ross K
11-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this: the 630 is a bit heavier than than the 280... Some ppl reckon the addition of weight isn't an issue and in fact aids stability, plow, and feel (makes it slightly less stiff feeling and makes it far more flexy feeling), etc. Whilst others reckon it makes it harder to swing and more club-like to maneuver, as well as being just a bit too 'noodley'.

gymrat76
11-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this: the 630 is a bit heavier than than the 280... Some ppl reckon the addition of weight isn't an issue and in fact aids stability, plow, and feel (makes it slightly less stiff feeling and makes it far more flexy feeling), etc. Whilst others reckon it makes it harder to swing and more club-like to maneuver, as well as being just a bit too 'noodley'.

I think, it is possible that, the more you practise/play with a heavy player's racquet, eventually it becomes easier to maneuver it and put it to work! Basically, your tennis grows with the racquet.
Example, I have been and will play exclusively with my RD7 (until receiving my PT630 and Becker Pro.) And the more I play with it, all the criticism I have been reading about this racquet (such as being club-like and not being good at volleys, etc.) goes down the drain.

On the contrary, I think, it is not possible to grow with a light, unstable stick. So I chose the heavier version (I guess the CAPS make the weight difference between 280 and 630) and will try and grow my tennis with it. This will be the first 18 mains racquet I have..Cant wait to play with it.

gymrat76
11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Take my advice with a grain of salt, it just indicates how much I like this stick. What works for me, may not work for someone else. I hope that you will enjoy the PT630 too.

Thanks! Will write what I think about it once I receive it....

Ross K
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I think, it is possible that, the more you practise/play with a heavy player's racquet, eventually it becomes easier to maneuver it and put it to work! Basically, your tennis grows with the racquet.
Example, I have been and will play exclusively with my RD7 (until receiving my PT630 and Becker Pro.) And the more I play with it, all the criticism I have been reading about this racquet (such as being club-like and not being good at volleys, etc.) goes down the drain.

On the contrary, I think, it is not possible to grow with a light, unstable stick. So I chose the heavier version (I guess the CAPS make the weight difference between 280 and 630) and will try and grow my tennis with it. This will be the first 18 mains racquet I have..Cant wait to play with it.

. Up to a point anyway, I agree w/your theory re playing with/becoming accustomed to heavier frames...

. Well, for me, the PT630 swings just a bit too heavy. Plus I also don't find it so amazing at volleys. However, from the baseline and in terms of a smooth, lush, 'buttery' feel and a great solidity and stabillity, in my experience, it's highly likely this frame has no equal.

. It would be interesting to read of your impressions of the PT 630 (and the Becker Pro too) once you've played with them.