PDA

View Full Version : Did Agassi loose to Melzer?

Amit
02-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Just wondering if Agassi lost to Melzer in the SAP open, one of my friends told me, but that would make the final really boring... would it not?

namhnit
02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
It looks like Agassi is gonna lose. Just checked cbssportsline, it's 6-3 5-1 Melzer. No Roddick/Agassi final. =(

Ronaldo
02-11-2005, 08:07 PM
AA losing ugly

Vlad
02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Looks like a Haas - Saulnier final.

Ronaldo
02-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Haas looked a goner too in 2nd set with Mad Max

dennis1188
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
i) Strange day at the SAP. Agassi lost ugly, 3-6,1-6. AA lost his serve 5 times in 1 hour and 10 mins. to Melzer. Melzer hit the goundstrokes 'early' and put all sorts of pressure on AA throughout the match.
AA's serve did not show up tonite. Melzer also beat AA last year in Toronto.

ii) Haas managed to win after losing the first set to Mirnyi, Haas' backhand was mostly faster than his serve (the bad shoulder again?). Most of Haas' serves clocked only between 85-95mph!
Mirnyi just got bad on a few critical volleys in the end and lost it.

iii) Typical Roddick match where he only shows interest when he can get the easy points off his first serve. He can barely volley. Enqvist, was solid on most of his serves and volleys w/ good depth on his goundstrokes . Roddick got damm lucky in the second set tie breaker up 6-0 then he lost 6 straight points before managing to win the TB 8-6. Then Roddick and Enqvist, exchanged a few breaks in a hard fought third set before Roddick, got the final break, during which Enqvist got very unlucky when he hit two ground strokes catching the net cord and both landing just out. Roddick wins in three sets.
SAP organisers almost got badly burned w/o AA or Roddick into the Semis.

BreakPoint
02-12-2005, 01:04 AM
I was there today, too.

I've got to question how much fight Agassi had in him given the recent discussion of appearance fees and its effects on motivation to win. That second set was ugly.

Haas looked like he was going to tank the match in the 2nd set. he didn't even move for some balls. He just didn't look into the match at all. There was no yelling at his coach Red in German until the 3rd set. I think he got really lucky in pulling out the 2nd set when Mirnyi was serving for the match at 5-4 in the 2nd. He got a few lucky breaks and I think Max choked a bit as he was 0-6 against Haas, and tightened up on the verge of his first win. After Haas won the 2nd, he got more motivated in the 3rd and cruised. I also wonder if his shoulder was bothering him as, like you said, he had no serve.

Roddick was really, really lucky to win tonight. If Enqvist had just follwed some of his hard shots into the corners into the net more to cut off Roddick's weak returns, he would have won. I don't think I've ever seen anyone save six straight set points coming back from 0-6 in a tiebreak to even it up to 6-6. A ripping forehand into the net and a return that just clipped the tape gave Roddick the 2nd set tiebreak 8-6. If Enqvist had won that set and the match it would have been absolutely amazing, coming back from 0-6 in the tiebreak. By far the most exciting match yet.

devila
02-12-2005, 02:40 AM
LIES.
He threw away 10 break points and a 6-0 tb lead.
Roddick double faulted to lose serve. He deliberately stopped trying after missing easy shots when Enqvist was down 30-40 early and late in the 1st set.

He got a bad line call. He didn't bother to run much at 3-1.
He broke serve the 2nd time and double faulted at 30-40 *5-4.

He had little trouble in the 3rd set and trashed away more break points when Enqvist was down 15-40.

Amit
02-12-2005, 07:48 AM
aww man >_< was hoping for that aa arod final, ahha o well who do you guys think will make it in the final, and why dont the top players try their hardest in these small tournaments? Or do they because i would never expect such players to loose early in even slams where youll be going up against all the top seeds, not just a couple

BreakPoint
02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
I think Enqvist threw away more break points during that match than Roddick did. Roddick has the big serve or what I would call "the big break point eraser".

In fact, I'd bet Enqvist probably had twice as many break points as Roddick during the match, perhaps as many as 20 it seemed, but only converted on a couple. Enqvist looked like a better version of Agassi last night, running Roddick from side to side and dictating play from the baseline. He was pounding his groundstrokes and hit lots of backcourt winners. Roddick was on the defensive most of the night. Like I said before, if Enqvist had followed those pounding shots into the corners more into the net to cut off Roddick's weak returns, he would have won the match easily in straight sets.

William Bedford
02-12-2005, 09:44 AM
The beginning of the end for AA...........

pound cat
02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
AA's going to Davis cup. Seems like a relaxing thing to do for the almost ready for retirement one.

Pushmaster
02-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Why would Andre retire? Even if his run at Slams are over, you can still make a pretty damn good living being in the top 10 these days.

joehight
02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I was there today, too.

I've got to question how much fight Agassi had in him given the recent discussion of appearance fees and its effects on motivation to win. That second set was ugly.

I was wondering the same thing. Both AA and A-rod were probably paid handsome appearance fees. So maybe when the going got tough, saw they weren't going to win easily, they sort of gave up, or more likely simply didn't bare down and concentrate. Can't win matches against any decent pro without being mentally tough and it might be hard to stay mentally tough in a second tier tournament when one already has a big payday in your pocket, win or lose.

At least the appearance fees should be public knowledge.

nkhera1
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
does anyone know where i can get match stats of all tournaments

Audiodude
02-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm a big Agassi fan and it looked to me like he just tanked the match. At least the other guys get a chance at a nice payday.

devila
02-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Funny how the players, people watching the scoreboard and Tennis Channel said that Roddick had many more break points, but the biased person in the crowd won't accept that.