PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm 2008

Cham6
11-01-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm currently demoing ackets, and found this to suit my play best.
Specs are:
# Head size: 98 in²/ 632 cm²
# Weight: 295g
# Length: 27 inches/ 685mm
# Balance: 325mm
# Beam: 21mm
# String Pattern: 16x20

Anyone else playing with this racket? I'd like to get tips for the String and Tension. I played with the previous version of it (a bit heavier) with Pro Hurricane 29/27kgs and liked it, although this tension might be too much.

Also, there is a place at 12h on the racket for lead tape. Anyone using a lead tape with this racket?

General feedback is also welcome (you like it or not and why). Thanks!

[d]ragon
11-01-2008, 04:51 PM
For the short time I tried it out, I thought it was a very good all around stick. It had good pop and was pretty stable given its light weight. The only thing I didn't like about it was it felt mute but that could be because of the string (I think it was Xcel).

BTW, you don't have to put any lead tape where they indicate. Only add tape if you need to, not because you can.

If you liked Pro Hurricane @29/27 kgs, then why not try that and make adjustments from there?

tennisfreak15347
11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
pure storm 2008..... do you mean the pure storm team? ? I can't seem to find the racquet that matches the weight you've posted, unless you're posting the unstrung weight.

shell
11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm currently trying this racquet out. My current racquet is the PK 5G, which I am very happy with.

The Pure Storm has a similar feel to it as the PK5G, soft or muted. The swing weight is lower than my 5gs but feels heavier. It is the balance throwing me off I think. I've always played head light racquets, and the PS is head light, but barely.

Groundies: Solid off both wings, with a fair amount of spin potential. Not a spin monster, but with proper technique it performs well. It is a flexy feel and not powerful, but it does exactly what the specs would suggest. Bring your own power, and it will deliver. In fact, it has a bit more pop than the flex of low sixties would suggest.

Serve: I am struggling with this, but I think it is the balance. It flexes with powerful serves and the spin is there, but I find it unpredictable. Flat serves are appropriate for it's weight. Spin is there, but I am having some trouble adjusting to the more even weight. My issue totally, and time will improve this.

Volley: It is solid feeling, but don't expect a lot of help on deep volleys. Again, it brings what you put into it. Soft shots and touch volleys are decent for it's weight. Not bad at all. Can move into position with ease. Nice overall.

Returns: Here is where I struggle, but I must say that my return is the weakest part of my game anyway. You MUST swing out or you will end up with a short put away shot for your opponent. I tend to slice my backhand returns, and if hit solid it is nice. Forehand - SWING or you will pay. I've not felt too much twist or lack of stability, but it is a light racquet so you must hit solid.

Overall, a very nice racquet. And a welcome feel for it's weight.

I don't think I am going to give up on my PKs, but I have enjoyed hitting with the Pure Storm.

shell
11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, I forgot. I have mine strung with NRG2 at 58, and am liking the feel and power it offers. The recommended tension is 51 - 57, and I did not realize this when I strung mine. I might very well go a couple of pounds lower to try to get a bit more power. A very hard hitter might not need this though. I am a spin and moderate power player - all court. Also female - if that matters on the power scale :)

nCode747
11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
maybe there talking about aero strom

wangman31888
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
i have this racket, the pure storm (not the tour) same specs, i guess it's 2008, but iono. i use wilson sensation at 52 lbs. i always used syn gut so iono how well polys are on this racket. i wouldn't use lead tape at 12 oclock unless u have always done that. i use 3 grams on each side at the 3 and 9 oclock positions and that really works for me since it expands the sweet spot alot but doesn't detract from swing speed that much. what makes yours the PS 2008?

pfchang
11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
pure storm 2008..... do you mean the pure storm team? ? I can't seem to find the racquet that matches the weight you've posted, unless you're posting the unstrung weight.

maybe there talking about aero strom

geez guys, get a clue, it's the Carbon Xtrem versions.:)

so there's no "team" written on it.

as for the muted feel, i agree, as the woofer tech is very similar to prince's O3 tech.

wangman31888
11-02-2008, 10:25 AM
geez guys, get a clue, it's the Carbon Xtrem versions.:)

so there's no "team" written on it.

as for the muted feel, i agree, as the woofer tech is very similar to prince's O3 tech.

i agree there is a muted feel so i prefer using a softer string like wilson sensation, i think i remember playing someone else's PS w/ polys and it felt really weird.

Cham6
11-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Well, it's the unstrung weight.

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Staiger
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I hated the Pure storm , one of the worst Babolat racquet ever made ! No feel , no power , no spin, no control . Dont think lead tape would help this piece of **** too much. Please if you are buying a Babolat , go for the Aeropro !!

Cham6
11-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Why's that so bad?

Actually this was the best racked I tried for controlling my power. With a lot of other rackets, I tend to overhit. With this one I could hit hard and it still landed in.

I'm planning to buy this, just don't know which string and what tension.

logansc
11-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Hey OP, I play with these frames and I find them to be fantastic. I added some weight to the hoop to get the balance more even and I find it even better for my game. The SW is just right. Happy hitting!

Cham6
11-10-2008, 08:10 AM
With heavier rackets I found volleys to be easier (Prestige Mid and KBT). This is the only thing worrying me.

What tension do you use? And how much weight?

Hey OP, I play with these frames and I find them to be fantastic. I added some weight to the hoop to get the balance more even and I find it even better for my game. The SW is just right. Happy hitting!

Cham6
11-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Babolat Pure Strom 2008 or AeroPro Drive Cortex (Nadal's racket)?

Which would you choose? I liked PS better, although last I tried AeroPro Driver and found serves to be more powerful.

(I have no problem generating power, it's more a problem to keep balls in.)

penguins_r_kool
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Babolat Pure Strom 2008 or AeroPro Drive Cortex (Nadal's racket)?

Which would you choose? I liked PS better, although last I tried AeroPro Driver and found serves to be more powerful.

(I have no problem generating power, it's more a problem to keep balls in.)

I have the same problem and I'm choosing between the same two rackets.

Well actually the ps ltd not the ps, but close enough.

Cham6
11-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Bought Babolat Pure Strom 2008 with Hurricane Pro Tour 125 at 27/26 kgs. Better than every other racket I tried. At least so far :)