PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused?

meowmix
11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I decided to add a bit of weight to my racket today. Since I had no lead on hand, I decided to go with the cheap man version- duct tape. I used about 1 2/3 feet worth of the fairly thick stuff- about 2 inches wide. I cut the tape into 1/2 inch wide segments that were about 3 inches long. I then stuck it on my racket in rings. I have a ring of about 2.5 grams at 12, 4 grams each grams at 2 and 10, about about 2 grams each at 3 and 9. That give me, about 15 grams of weight added.

Playing in my clinic today, I noticed a HUGE increase in stability and quite a bit in power. This racket is the rather infamous Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP, a fairly unstable frame. This racket was SOLID after my modifications. Mind you, not rock solid like a k95, but very solid. Maneuverability was actually not that decreased. I could still swing as fast as I normally could. Volleys were just as easy to get to, and a lot more solid besides. However, the part that confused me the most were my groundstrokes. I was able to swing slower (by 30% ish), yet I got much more depth, and the same amount of power as I usually do. I also got a lot more directional control, and the ball was zooming in on those lines. Considering that people on these boards are adding insane amounts of weight (record was, what close to 2 or 3 ounces of lead?), why am I able to get the same results that others have reported with far less weight added?

pfchang
11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
what stick?

could just be your imagination maybe if you haven't played in a bit.

Duzza
11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
15 grams is still a LOT of weight to add in one hit. Also, you were adding it all in the upper/middle hoop which probably increased the swingweight dramatically too.

meowmix
11-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Duzza, really? I guess that by reading that some people add ounces at a time, I'm mistaking the signifigance of 15 grams...

PFCHANG, it was a gamma ipex 7.0 MP, one of the THE most unstable frames produced.

[d]ragon
11-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Duzza, really? I guess that by reading that some people add ounces at a time, I'm mistaking the signifigance of 15 grams...

PFCHANG, it was a gamma ipex 7.0 MP, one of the THE most unstable frames produced.

Yeah, 15 grams is quite abit to start out with. But keep playing with it and if you like it, keep it. Make sure you give enough time to adjust to the new weight/swingweight before deciding to change. How long did you play with it so far? Have you hit any serves with it? I think you will really start to notice the increased weight/swingweight when playing matches where you have to serve before points (could be a good or bad thing). Hope you like it though.

meowmix
11-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I've only played a few hours with it, but I'm liking it. I've noticed the decreased maneuverability on serve, but I'm liking the increased accuracy. I think I'll stick with it for a while.

greg280
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
meowmix is some damn good cat food.

Duzza
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I've only played a few hours with it, but I'm liking it. I've noticed the decreased maneuverability on serve, but I'm liking the increased accuracy. I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Yeah well it's only about 0.5 ounces but the increase in SW I'd imagine is fairly huge. It's good that you enjoy it. I've only ever weighted my racquets (the POG mostly) about 10 grams more in the head and it's felt like such a beast! I've also heard that the Bryan brother's dad put 3 grams extra on their racquets ever 3 or so months in their junior years so they'd gradually build into heavy racquets.

fuzz nation
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
If you counter-balance that weight on the hoop with some lead, etc. on the handle, you'll probably get more maneuverability with that same stability that you're enjoying now. Some of my racquets weigh 13 oz. with a balance of around 8-10 pts. headlight and they handle quite well for me. Might be worth a try eventually.