PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex

Montana Ken
11-02-2008, 04:30 AM
I'm a 4.0 player using pro kennex 7G racquets. I have a chance to buy a Redondo midplus for a good price. Could someone compare the two racquets and would the Redondo be a natural progression? I have suffered from tennis elbow in the past so comfort is a major conssideration.

Thanks
Ken

shell
11-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Ken, I play with the 5G and not the 7G, but I also have a Redondo. The Redondo is a beautiful racquet to play with, but will have less power than your 7G. It is very comfortable, but you will need to supply all of your power, as it won't help you out in that aspect.

There is a hugh Redondo thread on here. Try a search, or scroll through a couple of pages - I think there was a recent post. Surely someone in the Redondo thread has played both racquets and may be able to offer a better comparison.

But I would say if you can get one at a good price, it might very well be worth it - even if you decide it is not your main racquet. The Redondo is a joy to hit with, and I like having a hitting session with it every now and then. It is too heavy for me, as is the 7G, but a lovely racquet. The arm comfort comes from the flex rather than the Kenetic technology that makes your 7G so comfy.

anirut
11-02-2008, 05:49 AM
MK,

I haven't played the 7G nor the 5G, but I guess people with 7G and Redondo experience will chime in to help you out.

Check the link in my signature for the Redondo thread.

gocard
11-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I have not played with the 7g, but have the Redondo. It is extremely comfortable and forgiving, not to mention easy to swing as well. If you can get a hold of one at a good price, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's a great racquet.

Steve Huff
11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Just out of curiousity, if you've experienced tennis elbow, why are you using an extended length racket? I think the Redondo will be easier on your arm than the 7g.

Montana Ken
11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the responses. My elbow pain went away after switching from Yonnex RDTi70 to the 7G. I like the extra pop from the extra length.

toganitu
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi MK,
I owned both so here is my take. The 7G is a very powerful racket next to the redondo. The 7G has a very muted feel - actually no feel at all. 7G sweetpot is big but it is hard to play sharp angle with it. Total opposite with the Redondo. They are 2 very different rackets. You are going to need some time for adjustment. I just hope you won't aggrate/rediscover your elbow pain. You want to string very very low (low 50 or even lower). Otherwise it will appear very boardy. Hopefully you have played with the RDTi70 then your fundamental should be sound since it is a fairly demanding stick as well. If you can get used to the very low powered of the redondo then it is a wonderful racket since it is a very control and soft (buttery) racket. Also make sure of the swingweight. The redondo is heavier and MAY have heavier swingweight, can you handle the extra ones without hurting any joints?

I owned the RDTi Long 98 and 102 and thougth that they were the best sticks for TE and shoulder problems (2002 data). Am I wrong? Or does the RDTi 70 (88 inch2) plays very different from his 2 cousins. I have both shoulder and elbow problems and have been in search for a "pain-reliever" racket on top of getting some coaching. The 5G/7G are out due to their muted feel.
Tony

Montana Ken
11-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks T. I used the RDTI70 long in the 98 inch size. I liked it, but it seemed to aggravate my elbow. No such problem with the 7G, I'll probably pick up the Redondo and give it a try. Should be able to sell it if it isn't for me.

dabudabuda
11-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I posted this somewhere else...just make note that this is for the Redondo mid, I have not hit w/ the midplus. But since these are prestige like specs, if the midplus redondo is anything like a midplus prestige, then the midplus should be very spin friendly for an 18x20.

Serve:extra leverage(.5in) benefits are mostly shown here w/ 7g, Redondo low powered really need good weight transfer and technique
Groundstrokes:control and placement to redondo, power to 7g and 2handers will welcome the additional .5in yet never found a problem w/ the 2hands and standard length redondo
Topspin:neither are topspin machines but if had to pick one would say 7g
Slice:redondo due to the additional flex and buttery feel
Volleys:redondo for sure w/ more versatility and feel, but 7g for more pop
Power:7g
Control:redondo
Feel:redondo, 7g is "different" but you get accustomed to the "shaker" feel of the kinetic tech
Comfort:both comfortable(7g is extended 5g which very well known for its comfort, same time redondo has flex in 50s and you can string well below the recommended range)

cyberwing88
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
PK Heritage Type R is the most elbow friendly racket among them all.
Link to archive. (http://web.archive.org/web/20060212201423/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KTR.html)