PDA

View Full Version : donald young too small? got to be kidding

radical1
02-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Does anyone remember Hewitt at age 16 taking his first title in the Adelaide tourney over Agassi in 1998? Hewitt was 5' 9'' 140 lbs then. Isn't that what Donald Young is now? Why does he need to get any bigger? If he's got the game, would it really matter? Wasnt Rios a 5' 8'' lefty with a crafty game. Did he need to get bigger as well? Did anyone see Rochus at the Aust Open? Would he have won those tiebreakers versus Safin if he was say 5' 8'' instead of 5' 4''?

court_zone
02-12-2005, 07:01 AM
If your max height will be 5'9'', that is not very far off from 6 feet. I'm 15 years old and I am only 5'4'', maybe 5'5'' and I am a basher just like Roddick who is a bit over 6 feet. Of course I want to grow taller, but I saw Roddick up close before and he really did not look "so tall". Donald Young's height is just right, I do not see a couple inches really helping his game all that much.

VictorS.
02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, I think the big question is his service game. There's no question, the shorter guys always have a little more difficulty holding serve. Safin, Federer, Roddick...all these guys have relatively big serves and are tough to break. Agassi and Hewitt obviously have been very successful with placement, rather than power. But he's definitely going to have to amp up his service. I heard he routinely hits serves in the low 100s MPH. That just won't cut it on the men's tour. But he's still young...I wouldn't be surprised if he grows to 6ft. And there's no doubt he'll add some strength in the next few yrs.

West Coast Ace
02-12-2005, 02:59 PM
First off, the pros sizes are often exaggerated. I don't think AA and Hewitt are 5'11" as advertised. Secondly, I've read that Donald has big hands and size 13 feet - this usually means he'll get a lot bigger. The 6' to 6'3" is optimum (for men). Too tall (Max) and players see to lose the mobility to compete at the top level. As Hewitt (who I believe is really 5'9") has shown, if you're willing to work, you can still compete. But you have to be willing to work on your footwork, speed, and conditioning. You're not going to be able to blow people off the court.

nkhera1
02-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't think size necessarily matters, its just he needs to add more pace to his serve because many players have faster second serves than his first serve. Most likely he will have to grow a little in order to get a better serve and add a bit of muscle. I don't think serve will ever be his strong point, but it will be able to make his game much better if he could beef up his 1st and 2nd serve.

VictorS.
02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Man, it's crazy when you think about it...this kid is only 15 yrs old and we're comparing him to Federer and Roddick. It just seems unfair to the kid. He's certainly talented as his results indicate. But it's just way too early to really speculate how good he's going to be. He's going to be pretty good, that's without a doubt. Whether he'll be a top-notch pro remains to be seen.

nkhera1
02-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Man, it's crazy when you think about it...this kid is only 15 yrs old and we're comparing him to Federer and Roddick. It just seems unfair to the kid. He's certainly talented as his results indicate. But it's just way too early to really speculate how good he's going to be. He's going to be pretty good, that's without a doubt. Whether he'll be a top-notch pro remains to be seen.

being the number 1 juniors player in the world isn't too bad

AndrewD
02-13-2005, 01:35 AM
As I wrote in another thread, Young may take a few years to establish himself and people need to be willing to give him that time. He may turn out to be great, or he may be just a good average pro. Regardless, its silly to put any expectation on someone who is still physically, mentally and emotionally a child.

Junior sport, no matter what type, is littered with players who succeed because they mature early. Bigger and stronger than others of the same age they win because the competition has yet to catch up. When they go to the professional level they dont have the same edge. Young hasn't won (it is only one tournament) because of physical gifts but, rather in part, because of a strong mental resolve which is a good omen. It might be that, when he does physically mature, his game may slip back a notch or two. The same thing happened to Pat Rafter - one reason he had such an unheralded junior career. As he grows his game may change and it could take him a while to adjust to it.

Chang, Hewitt and Agassi were freaks and it's a bit much to expect another one like that. I'd wait until Young is 17 or 18 before making a final judgement on his prospects. That's pretty much the age that all of the greats (apart from those 3) started to serve notice as to their playing ability.

andfor
02-13-2005, 01:42 AM
...The same thing happened to Pat Rafter - one reason he had such an unheralded junior career....

I understand and agree with what your saying. You're from Australia. Wasn't Rafter's slow development attributed to his choice of playing style more than anything? Typically it takes longer for S&V players to mature verses Baseline robots.

AndrewD
02-13-2005, 05:10 AM
andfor, it was only one of the reasons for his slow start. I believe he genuinely lacked confidence as a result of his poor junior career and it took a while for him to believe people when they said he could go places. He had initially good junior results which tapered off pretty dramatically when he had his growth spurt and I believe it took him a while to find his game. Of course, one of the other major reasons was a total lack of support by the governing body out here in Australia. Actually, when you look back at the last 30 years in Oz and the guys who have won Grand Slam titles -singles or doubles- it's only Hewitt, Woodbridge and Cash who have benefitted. McNamee and MacNamara, Woodforde, Edmondson and Rafter all had to do it very tough which is why most of them didnt come to prominence until their early to mid 20's. Of course, that could have helped make them tougher competitors.

The one thing I'd hope, for Young's sake, is that when he gets his growth spurt he doesn't end up at something like 6`4. That happened to Richard Fromberg (ex Aussie player) and it took him 3 years to grow into his new height (strength-wise) plus adjust to the fact that, as he had grown so much (from 5`8 to 6`4) the court seemed to have taken on totally new dimensions and he had to completely re-tool his game (eg. grown so much he'd lost the speed that had carried him as a junior BUT had found a huge serve).

andfor
02-13-2005, 05:45 AM
AndrewD, thanks, it's very cool and insightful to hear your persecitve from your side of the world. Donald Young does have a huge upside and your point about Fromberg's extreme growth is another good one. It may well also happen Young, him having size 13 feet and all. I know how coodination may be affected during a fast growth spurt but even more on how it could affect your playing style.

On a similar note(another young talented american), I saw Tim Neilly play yesterday. He's the american kid who just won the Orange Bowl recently. Although he lost to a much more experienced player he's pretty darn good. He also has tons of upside.

AndrewD
02-13-2005, 06:06 AM
andfor, something I didnt mention is that Fromberg was pretty much the exact same build as Young at age 15. Only about 5`8, quite slim but with size 13-15 feet. Couple with the frizzy hair he looked like Krusty the Clown's Aussie lovechild lol. I think Fromberg was 17 when he had the growth spurt and it kind of killed his last year in the juniors. Still, he could be lucky. Our Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald was known, not as Fitzy but as Feetsy for his size 13 clodhoppers LOL. He was about 6`1 which would be a better size, in my opinion, for a player.

Good to hear you guys have got a couple of good juniors coming up. Don't want the game to go totally South American and I can't say there's anyone special coming through our junior ranks. However, I did hear of a young guy called Carsten (?) Ball, the son of a former Aussie player Syd, whose done a bit over in the States but says he's keen to play the tour as an Australian.