PDA

View Full Version : Serena's extra weight will not allow her to stay at or near #1

Connors
11-03-2008, 06:27 AM
We've seen that Serena can still play great tennis. But, she remains 20 pounds overweight. You see it in her face, her legs, backside, her chest, etc. It's probably the main reason we'll never see her play consistently at her potential. Her knees and joints won't allow her to take that pounding regulary and move to the best of her abilities.

One match, she looks brilliant, the next not so good. Her movement is so inconsistent and she does not sustain high level play. She's strong as an ox and obviously serves as well as ever. But, her mobility is compromised due to the heavy legs and such. She needs to do more cardio, cut her calories and sleek down. She must weigh around 185 pounds. While much of it is muscle, her body fat percentage is way too high. And, at age 27, she's going to keep breaking down physically, as she already has.

She's not Venus, who will play at a top level into her early to mid 30's. Serena will be done in the next year or two, unless she drops the weight. She's too big, too bulky and overweight. She'll still be formidable on any given tournament or match, but the injuries will continue to mount. Also, her body also suggests she's taking some kind of supplements that are overly bulking her. I don't know if any of them are illegal but they are making her look like a male bodybuilder.

drakulie
11-03-2008, 06:41 AM
pictures please. Thank you

Connors
11-03-2008, 06:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo;_ylt=Alr3oK5OEYw0CGMcmW80HW44v7YF?slug=aa283 530ca07ed34f9b425e695bcaa75-getty-83245671cb030_sony_ericsson&prov=getty

drakulie
11-03-2008, 06:56 AM
^^Thank you.

You may take it down now (don't hurt your back). LOL

Topaz
11-03-2008, 06:57 AM
^^^The only thing that pictures proves is that she has a big chest, and I'm pretty sure we all knew that already.

Listen, Serena doesn't have the same body type as her sister, or other players like Hantuchova or Sharapova. She could stop eating altogether, and she *still* wouldn't look like them.

drakulie
11-03-2008, 06:59 AM
She could stop eating altogether, and she *still* wouldn't look like them.

Of course not, silly. She would be dead if she stopped eating for even one day.

sureshs
11-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Who gives a press conference in a night robe?

baseliner
11-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Agree she will have much shorter career than Venus. her body mass will not survive the pounding, particularly on hard courts. Her motivation to remain on tour is also suspect. As we all have been told multiple times, she is not just an athlete. She has many interests.

oberyn
11-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Agree she will have much shorter career than Venus. her body mass will not survive the pounding, particularly on hard courts. Her motivation to remain on tour is also suspect. As we all have been told multiple times, she is not just an athlete. She has many interests.

And yet she's been on the tour for over a decade and just won a third U.S. Open title 9 years after her first.

At some point, acting as if her career will be cut short seems a bit ludicrous given how many of her contemporaries she's already outlasted.

Connors
11-03-2008, 07:18 AM
http://celebslam.celebuzz.com/serena-williams-***/

split-step
11-03-2008, 08:36 AM
She's not Venus, who will play at a top level into her early to mid 30's.

No She's not Venus. She's a smarter and more versatile player which is why she wins a variety of tournaments. Venus finally won a tournament outside of Wimbledon in 4 yrs by winning Zurich.
Wimbledon is the only reason Venus is still a top player.

Serena is in good shape, has the best serve on tour and will continue to win titles. She does not need to be #1 to do that.

Besides who knows with the Williams sisters. Venus has a beau. She might just retire tomorrow. They are obviously at the end of their careers and it shouldn't surprise you if Serena or Venus retires in 2 years.

Ask yourself this question:
How many top players who started around the same time they did are still playing?

crazylevity
11-03-2008, 08:38 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo;_ylt=Alr3oK5OEYw0CGMcmW80HW44v7YF?slug=aa283 530ca07ed34f9b425e695bcaa75-getty-83245671cb030_sony_ericsson&prov=getty

Haha...you can see how they photoshopped her face onto Hantuchova's waist in the background. Such an obvious photoshop job.

split-step
11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Haha...you can see how they photoshopped her face onto Hantuchova's waist in the background. Such an obvious photoshop job.

LOL. That's more Ivanovic's waist. Hantuchova's waist is pretty tiny.

Or maybe she sucked in like crazy.

orangettecoleman
11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
nonsense. she has had less injuries than most players and she is one of the only players with some sense of competitive instinct, and that's enough to wipe the floor with the current WTA field- when she chooses to focus on tennis and not her other pursuits. sure the extra weight hurts her footwork but her footwork was always a liability anyway.

mrDamien
11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I really would like to know about Serena meal menu of the day. Curious does she ever has the word 'DIET' in her own dictionary.

tennisdad65
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

that picture in the background must have been taken when Sarena was 13-14 yrs old :)

grafrules
11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
The only thing that will keep Serena from #1 is that she isnt willing to play enough or full out enough all time to get it. Ability wise she is still right there despite being a shadow of the player she used to be, and will be until some of these other girls finally step it up. She was the only women to make 2 slam finals this year.

chiru
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Wimbledon is the only reason Venus is still a top player.
[/B]

that's like saying the majors are the only reason why sampras is a legend...

Topaz
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
And yet she's been on the tour for over a decade and just won a third U.S. Open title 9 years after her first.

At some point, acting as if her career will be cut short seems a bit ludicrous given how many of her contemporaries she's already outlasted.

Quoted for truth...hard to say she won't be around long...when she has already been around a long time. Amazing the amount of disrespect a multiple grand slam winner is given on this forum.

bluetrain4
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
From what we've seen the past few years, Serena seems that she couldn't care less about remaining No. 1.

Yeah, she could be in better shape, but she really doesn't have that far to go. She IS a naturally thick woman.

She's 27 now. I'd imagine she drfits in and out of Slam-caliber form for the remainder of her career and wins a couple more Slams.

I always wonder whether, in the long run, the Williams actually benefited from their sometimes brazenly unfocused tennis careers (Slam, withdrawal, 3rd Round loss, Slam, etc.). Remember, they weren't always unfocused. Up until about 2003 they actually were full-time fixtures on tour and showed up in shape and were contenders almost all the time. If they had kept up the full schedule would they have burnt out, or would they actually have won a bunch more Slams. I mean, we may hate their approach, but they seem like they could do the seemingly part-time thing for five more years and still win Slams.

Connors
11-04-2008, 05:09 AM
I don't think so. I think Serena is breaking down too often physically. I don't see her winning another slam. She put so much into gearing herself up to win the Open, which she was lucky to get past Venus, who choked.

Serena cannot sustain great play for more than a week at a time, and even within that week, she'll have one or two very sloppy performances.

The other girls are not afraid of her and have beaten her any number of times. They are getting better and are more fine-tuned match in and match out than Serena. I think the U.S. Open is Serena's last great achievement. We'll see, won't we? Serena wanted that Open so badly and increased her training and focus to its' highest level in years. She had not won the Open since '02. She will not bring that level of intensity and conditioning again to any tournament, including a major. And we know she'll never win the French again--no chance. She doesn't move well enough anymore to sustain great play on clay for 7 matches. She's also not consistent enough.

Topaz
11-04-2008, 05:13 AM
^^^This is pretty much what everyone was saying before she won the Aussie Open...again.

Then, she won the US Open...again.

I would be willing to bet that she's got at least one more in her.

tennisVS
11-04-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't think so. I think Serena is breaking down too often physically. I don't see her winning another slam. She put so much into gearing herself up to win the Open, which she was lucky to get past Venus, who choked.

Serena cannot sustain great play for more than a week at a time, and even within that week, she'll have one or two very sloppy performances.

The other girls are not afraid of her and have beaten her any number of times. They are getting better and are more fine-tuned match in and match out than Serena. I think the U.S. Open is Serena's last great achievement. We'll see, won't we? Serena wanted that Open so badly and increased her training and focus to its' highest level in years. She had not won the Open since '02. She will not bring that level of intensity and conditioning again to any tournament, including a major. And we know she'll never win the French again--no chance. She doesn't move well enough anymore to sustain great play on clay for 7 matches. She's also not consistent enough.

Yeah ok!!! Heaven knows what she will do. I have no clue all I can say is she will win another major.

drakulie
11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
I would be willing to bet that she's got at least one more in her.

I would be willing to bet she has more than one doughnut in her tummy. Perhaps a few dozen, at any one given time. :)

rolandg
11-04-2008, 05:29 AM
The only thing that will keep Serena from #1 is that she isnt willing to play enough or full out enough all time to get it. Ability wise she is still right there despite being a shadow of the player she used to be, and will be until some of these other girls finally step it up. She was the only women to make 2 slam finals this year.

Ivanovic?

10 char

Connors
11-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Let's check back with each other this time next year. I am absolutely convinced Serena will never win another major. Still a great career, but she could have won 15 or maybe even more.

tennisVS
11-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Let's check back with each other this time next year. I am absolutely convinced Serena will never win another major. Still a great career, but she could have won 15 or maybe even more.

I hope she proves you wrong. For tennis' sake. Cause when the Ws are gone. The WTA is gone. No justine no serena no venus no devnport, and these newbies havent learned how to control their minds yet. So the wta has to find some new wonders, and Maria is going to continue to struggle with her shoulder that just doesn't go away.

Nellie
11-04-2008, 06:04 AM
I tire of these conversations about players weights. People critique players as if there is some ideal weight/build. Players are not models. I remember a glamour photoshoot with Graf at the top of her game that described her measurments as about 5'9", 160lbs. even though the WTA listed her as 130lbs, and Graf was never fat as a player. There is a reason a bigger lady can crush forehands.

If you think that Serena's weight is a problem, let's talk about tennis. Does she tire in matches? Is her movement poor? I would say no - when she loses, it's because she is spraying shots. I will tell you who fades in matches due to poor conditioning - Ivanovic. That girl is constantly fading late in matches. And yes - Serena has had some injuries - but so have every other player on the tour.

benz1
11-04-2008, 06:10 AM
i think serena has a bigger body build so she is always going to be big but she is also very fit at somepoints.... she just needs to stay at that level of fitness when she gets there

Julieta
11-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Venus and Serena are so much better than everyone else they can really do whatever they want. If I were them, I would play a very limited schedule and just focus on the big events. That is really the only way to sustain a long career the way the tour is set up these days.

It's been said before but players do look bigger in print and on TV than in real life. Venus actually looks better in pictures though, she could definitely model. The other thing is that if you want to play pro tennis - or compete in any pro sport - you're going to have to accept the trade off in appearance. For the girls this means less ideal physique as far as being super skinny (look at Graf and Kournikova now, they are really small - and both looked good when they were playing but were still bigger than they are now). For the boys this can often mean sacrificing your hair a la Wayne Rooney.

Connors
11-04-2008, 07:31 AM
So much better huh? Is that why Venus has won two majors in the last 7 years? Is that why Serena has won three in the last 5 1/2? Is that why they can't sustain great play throughout the year? Is that why their rankings slipped so badly?

Is that why Serena lost her last three times to Justine Henin in grand slams??? Give me a break!!!!!!!!!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-04-2008, 07:41 AM
So much better huh? Is that why Venus has won two majors in the last 7 years? Is that why Serena has won three in the last 5 1/2? Is that why they can't sustain great play throughout the year? Is that why their rankings slipped so badly?

Is that why Serena lost her last three times to Justine Henin in grand slams??? Give me a break!!!!!!!!!

What exactly are you trying to prove with your thread? :confused:

Do you guys realize that every few months you discuss the same crap over and over again? Doesn't any of this material seem familiar to you?

Connors
11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
What I'm trying to prove is EXACTLY what happened in this very important year end event. Serena breaks down physically once again.

Once again, she plays like crap, spraying balls all over the court and needing to quit the tournament. Once again, she deprives the fans of her best tennis. This is part of her legacy as well as the nine Majors.

She has often failed to prepare properly, not maintained elite conditioning (she's put on weight just since the US Open). She looked slow and sluggish. How the heck do you lose the last two sets to your sister, 1-0???

Do you get it NOW?????

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
What I'm trying to prove is EXACTLY what happened in this very important year end event. Serena breaks down physically once again.

Once again, she plays like crap, spraying balls all over the court and needing to quit the tournament. Once again, she deprives the fans of her best tennis. This is part of her legacy as well as the nine Majors.

She has often failed to prepare properly, not maintained elite conditioning (she's put on weight just since the US Open). She looked slow and sluggish. How the heck do you lose the last two sets to your sister, 1-0???

Do you get it NOW?????

I don't have to get anythiing because you guys brings this crap up every few months, Serena is a spoiled brat and she showed her true colors in the press room earlier today. If a bruised ego qualifies as an injury, then sure - Serena's injured. She turned up unprepared, and was shocked when Venus didn't just roll over as is customary. She had no plan B when her game went off the boil, and instead of pulling herself together, she panicked then proceeded to revert to her younger days and cried. And now she's packed up and feels she has nothing to prove seeing that, according to her at least, most people *already* think she's the "real" number one. :roll:

halalula1234
11-07-2008, 08:09 PM
give serena a break lets talk about BARTOLI

Underhand
11-07-2008, 09:31 PM
give serena a break lets talk about BARTOLI

Bartoli has still a lot of room to "improve"...

http://thesuperficial.com//bfm_gallery/2008/10/1014%20Serena%20Williams%20surfing/gallery_main/gallery_main-1014_serena_williams_bikini_09.jpg

LDVTennis
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
It's been said before but players do look bigger in print and on TV than in real life. Venus actually looks better in pictures though, she could definitely model. The other thing is that if you want to play pro tennis - or compete in any pro sport - you're going to have to accept the trade off in appearance. For the girls this means less ideal physique as far as being super skinny (look at Graf and Kournikova now, they are really small - and both looked good when they were playing but were still bigger than they are now). For the boys this can often mean sacrificing your hair a la Wayne Rooney.

Graf wasn't superskinny. She was somewhat taller than 5'9 and about 147lbs. That's the impression I got when standing next to her at Indian Wells in '96.

As for Venus, I saw her in person for the second time in '99 at Indian Wells. Venus does not have the proportions of a model. She's taller than 5'10" (optimal height for a model) and her midsection and thighs are thicker than they appear on TV.

As for Serena, I saw her in person for the first time in '99 at Indian Wells. She was practicing on a side court. She already had quite a big butt back then. Funny thing with Serena. Television actually makes her look smaller than she actually is.

LanceStern
11-07-2008, 11:49 PM
This board hates on the Williams too much.

And why did you bring up Serena's three losses to Henin (2 of which were close matches) and then ignore the thrashing Serena gave Henin this year???

Serena plays fine, she could lose some weight and stay more consistent... but she doesn't have to. She can keep coming on and off, and when she's on win more tournaments. No-one will really stop her

robertg06
11-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Graf wasn't superskinny. She was somewhat taller than 5'9 and about 147lbs. That's the impression I got when standing next to her at Indian Wells in '96.

As for Venus, I saw her in person for the second time in '99 at Indian Wells. Venus does not have the proportions of a model. She's taller than 5'10" (optimal height for a model) and her midsection and thighs are thicker than they appear on TV.

As for Serena, I saw her in person for the first time in '99 at Indian Wells. She was practicing on a side court. She already had quite a big butt back then. Funny thing with Serena. Television actually makes her look smaller than she actually is.

I saw Serena practicing at Wimbledon and boy was she massive....you're right tv does make them look smaller. Although she still hit it like a beast during practice

westside
11-08-2008, 12:29 AM

http://thesuperficial.com//bfm_gallery/2008/10/1014%20Serena%20Williams%20surfing/gallery_main/gallery_main-1014_serena_williams_bikini_09.jpg

Sweet jesus :shock:

msc886
11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
It doesn't stop her from winning slams.

Valdez737
11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Hell no she not 185 lbs she like 160 something. The Tv makes her look alot bigger I saw in the US Open last year and she is not that big is just her body type compair to the other girls.

But she does need to lose a few pounds if she wants to play top Tennis.

She is like 5,8 160lbs max

Objective Danny
11-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Ridiculous!

This tub of lard has the audacity to call herself a 'professional athlete'! She look more like a female I saw at the grocer with 5 kids in tow.

She should be ashamed of herself.

Objective Danny
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM

As an objective fan of the sport, there's zero upside in a 40 lbs overweight player holding the trophy in the winners' circle.

It's bad for the sport.

drakulie
11-08-2008, 11:39 AM

DOUGHNUTS!

Cyan
11-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, her *** is HUGE!

Cyan
11-08-2008, 11:48 AM

True. I can see her winning the AO in 2009.

drakulie
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
she eats lightning and craps thunder!!!

"I'm Obama, and I approved this message."

WNocturne
11-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I think her boobs just make her seem fatter than she really is
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9997/serenawilliams75666kg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/serenawilliams75666kg7.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img84/serenawilliams75666kg7.jpg/1/)

LanceStern
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Will you guys quit with these immature and rude jokes? They are pointless.

If she has a weight problem, fine... but don't sit here making fun of that. How old are we?

drakulie
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM

If she has a weight problem, fine... but don't sit here making fun of that. How old are we?

what do you care??? you know damn well what is going to be said in these threads, so why enter them?? So you could "talk down" to people and make yourself feel better??? Get lost.

Oh, and next time you come visit, make sure to bring Serena some doughnuts. Show respect.

Objective Danny
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM

This is a tennis message forum, everyone has a right to post their opinion. Serena embrass herself, and the sport, everytime she steps on the court.

You ask the age of posters? Okay, I'll make a deal with you. If you post your social security number I'll post my date of birth.

You know, show me yours and I'll show you mine. I'm sure you played that game before.

sureshs
11-08-2008, 12:46 PM
She has won all 4 Slams, which is more than Federer or Sampras can claim. She struggles with her weight, but comes thru at the end.

The Williams sisters give a rodent's posterior about what underachieving, jealous, prejudiced tennis fans think. In the latest Tennis mag, the last article is about how they were right and the establishment was wrong. The article by Wertheim traces all the anti-Williams comments from the beginning of their career, starting with "no one can come into the pros without going thru the junior circuit." In his comparisions with similar situations of other players and how the media reacted to them, it is quite clear the treatment of the Williams' was different all the time. The reasons are obvious (to those who don't like to fool themselves all the time). Even before this article, Chris Evert had apologized to Serena for the unwarranted "open letter" she wrote to her a couple of years ago.

WNocturne
11-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, and next time you come visit, make sure to bring Serena some doughnuts. Show respect.

ouch...:shock:

Objective Danny
11-08-2008, 01:00 PM
She has won all 4 Slams, which is more than Federer or Sampras can claim. She struggles with her weight, but comes thru at the end.
------------------------------------------------------

So what!

O.J. Simpson won the Heisman trophy. Now, he's known as an unconvicted double-murderer.

grafrules
11-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Which tells you all you need to know about the current state of the womens game. Maybe a failed sumo wrestler should give the WTA a try. She just might win Wimbledon.

grafrules
11-08-2008, 02:46 PM
------------------------------------------------------

So what!

O.J. Simpson won the Heisman trophy. Now, he's known as an unconvicted double-murderer.

Venus and Serena should both be taken to trial for their fixed U.S Open quarterfinal last year alone.

Gottabekin
11-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Ridiculous!

This tub of lard has the audacity to call herself a 'professional athlete'! She look more like a female I saw at the grocer with 5 kids in tow.

She should be ashamed of herself.

More like 5 kids in her ***.

TheTruth
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Great points!

Ronaldo
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Yes she has a weight problem, just can't wait to eat, eh? Sumo wrestler may win Wimbledon? Bartoli dropped the Hand like a bad habit and made the Wimbledon final.

mentalcase
11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Her butt has always been huge.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj68/lawchadwick/Cool%20Photos/serena-williams.jpg

Look at her thighs then she was younger,
http://69.90.174.253/photos/display_pic_with_logo/8413/8413,1119942228,1.jpg