PDA

View Full Version : Racket recommendations for 7 and 9 year old?

amymadsen
11-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I would like to purchase Wilson rackets for my children. I am seeking recommendations on which rackets I should buy. Based on your feedback, I will have the kids demo 4 rackets and then purchase the ones they like best. Here is some info on my kids:

1) My daughter is 7 (she's big for her age), she is a beginner; she has taken about 5 tennis lessons and takes a weekly group clinic, and went to morning tennis camp for 3 weeks in the summer. That's the extent of her experience. She can get the ball over the net, but not consistently. She is getting better at balance and coordination, but still has a way to go. Her pro recommends a 26-inch racket.

2) My son is 9 (also big for his size). He has had tennis lessons for about 9 months. He plays a second day a week in an hour clinic. He had morning tennis camp for 3 weeks. He's pretty good considering he's been playing for a short period of time. He's a strong kid as he's big. I have him playing with the cheapest Wilson available, and he doesn't have any feel with the racket. His pro recommends a 27 inch racket.

I'd like to get both of them mid range priced rackets. If they put more time into the sport, we can move them up. Thanks in advance for your advice.

PimpMyGame
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I won't get into the debate about why you're looking only at Wilson, but I would do the following:

7 yr old - Wilson Pro Staff 26
9 yr old - Wilson Pro Staff 26
(yep, the same one).

If your son doesn't get much feel from the cheap Wilson I suggest trying him with this before moving him to a 27". If it doesn't work out, your daughter inherits a spare racket. This is still cheaper than buying a 27" then watching his game fall apart because he can't handle the size and weight.

If you find you do need a 27" racket the prices can vary wildly so your son would need to demo several rackets - nobody can really say what would be good for him without more info and probably watching him. I hope your coach knows what he's doing giving your son a 27" racket aged 9, because if he develops injuries it might put him off for life.

My son had the pro staff 25 followed by the nBlade 26. As far as I could tell the weight, balance, frame and headsize seemed very similar between the two, which makes me believe you'll pay extra $$$ for the kBlade 26, kPro 26 etc when the red/white PS 26 does a good job for most kids of that age group. He now plays with a full size racket - a Wilson nBlade (he's coming up for 11) but I had to keep a close eye on him as the move up in weight from 260g to 300g was significant for his age.

amymadsen
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
PimpMyGame - thanks for the feedback. Do you recommend rackets other than Wilson? I don't have particular allegiance to Wilson; I was trying to make my life easier by sticking to one brand.

PimpMyGame
11-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, lots of my son's friends play with Babolats and the junior models are as well built as the senior ones so have a look there. I think Dunlop do 26" rackets as do Prince, but I don't know any kids who use them so can't comment - sorry.

By the way I forgot the most important thing in my first post - welcome to the forum!

robertg06
11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, it wouldn't necessarily make it easier to stick to one brand. But anyway, lots of kids use babolats for the good power they get. I particularly disagree with this style of play but ever tried a Pure Drive Junior?

Bobby

FuzzyDunlop
11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
The Volkl Tour 10 Junior 27" worked out really well for my son when he was at your son's level (encouraged to go to full-size by coach). It's full length but light. You might be able to find one online or used. I would have put both my kids in the Volkl, except you know how brother and sister can be about having the same racquet. His sister is 2.5 years older and liked the Babolat Roddick Junior (26.5"). In retrospect, it might have been a tad heavy for her initially (getting it around), although she liked the substance of it more. I didn't mind getting the Babolat for her, b/c I thought it was something she could stick with for a while. My son, at the time, was progressing more quickly and the Volkl was/is relatively cheap. They were both in Wilson Ti 25" directly before these changes.

I'm pretty sure you son is stronger than mine was at the time. If you can find the Volkl, get it - if your son finds it too light, it would probably be good for your daughter quite soon (the 2" jump into the Volkl didn't seem to be an issue given how light the racquet is - BTW the balance is even if you are concerned about HH). FYI, my son (now eight) and after slightly more than a year with the Volkl, just switched to the Prince Hybrid Hornet, which was the perfect value for this stage (you can demo it).

HTH

robertg06
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, personally, when I was 9 I wish anyone thought in depth about which racket I was using. I think I had some cheap Dunlop lol.

FuzzyDunlop
11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, personally, when I was 9 I wish anyone thought in depth about which racket I was using. I think I had some cheap Dunlop lol.

:) Yes, when I was a kid a junior racquet was choking up on the grip. My fundamental goal is to buy as few racquets as possible without sustaining admonishment, ridicule, or disdain from all related parties.

robertg06
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Ha, nice goal, I like it.

amymadsen
11-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Robert - you make me laugh! You made me think of my "Junior Garcia" when I started playing at 8. There are just 10 million choices, so I'd figured I'd go to the pros on this forum! This is a good and fun forum. For more kicks and giggles, I'm thinking fondly of my yellow metal Yonex! I believe mom had the green one!

soggyramen
11-04-2008, 10:37 AM
id say go ahead and go for a light standard length racquet. if kids a long time ago could play with a 13 oz woddie then they should have no problem playing with any current models today.

Pro_Tour_630
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
get ones that are the prettiest and coolest to them :)

Tofi
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
PimpMyGame - thanks for the feedback. Do you recommend rackets other than Wilson? I don't have particular allegiance to Wilson; I was trying to make my life easier by sticking to one brand.

hi are you from america or the uk??? if the uk then i recomend the Prince Air-O Cloud from argos at just 35 its one of the best rackets in the highstreet shops(better than most rackets you can find in sport shops apart from the real sports shop) that would be my only recommendation for your son. its 27 inch and 295 or something like that grams it has a large sweet spot and a 107si head.

huskersak
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Amy, I can help you with this. I have a 12 and 10 yr old juniors that are very good. Through trial and error (when they were your kids age and skill level) I was able to get some nice sticks for not a ton of cash. If you want, you can email me at jnosek@excite.com.