PDA

View Full Version : Rumor mill......old and new

bdog
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I repeat any old rumor. This is what I am hearing.

My friend says all the new Wilson rackets are out and being introduced to the reps. Not sure how many frames are out yet, but he felt it was around 5-7. He will let me know when he finds out.

Prince is taking a new direction. They are dropping the speedport line. Lack of high end sales, cracking in the black series and players are choosing to use the string Port inserts anyway. The o3 series will be phased out slowly, sales are still good for some models. One reason is that re-srtinging these frames have been disappointing in long term wear. One top end stringer said they turn to mush after repeated stringing. Not quite sure what he means.

The ex-Wilson guy, now leading Prince, is taking a page out of the Wilson book and making rackets similar to what the pros are using. So now they can go out and sign top pros and re-paint their rackets to look like Prince's. Hard to paint a player's racket to look like an o3. Also, can't wait for the new update to the Prince Graphite.

Head rackets are selling well in the Extreme series, but that is it. The Crossbow's are doing well by women slowly.

Technifibre slowly disappearing in the US. Lack of money and top end player recognition. Shake-up in management hasn't help. Will focus on Europe and other markets. String sales are still strong.

Feel free to report your own rumors or news. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but all of it was from reputable sources from each company. But like always, rumors are just that.....rumors.

cknobman
11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Prince dropping the speedport line? Hmmm I dont think they are dropping the technology at all in fact they have already released 2 new racquets that have the "port" technology on them. One is the Rebel which is currently being used by Gael Monfils and the other is the update to the Prince Graphite and yes IT HAS SPEEDPORTS ON IT.

You can check many threads on this board and even visit multiple websites out there that have posed pics and specs. In fact these racquets are already for sale in Japan and are coming to America at the first of the year.

I think your info is off a little.

PBODY99
11-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Something is up with the Speedports. I know that the price has been slashed for The Blue, Silver and even the new Gold & Platinum. I don't have more than 15 re-stringings on any of my O _port frames so I don't know about the softening or cracking issue. I could see it might be a problem with the Tour series, as a thin hollow beam has less area to distribute its load than the a thicker model.

cknobman
11-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Something is up with the Speedports. I know that the price has been slashed for The Blue, Silver and even the new Gold & Platinum. I don't have more than 15 re-stringings on any of my O _port frames so I don't know about the softening or cracking issue. I could see it might be a problem with the Tour series, as a thin hollow beam has less area to distribute its load than the a thicker model.

I have been playing with the speedport black for over a year now and yes something is up with the frame. Although I have never had one crack or break due to stringing(I would estimate about 10-15 stringings on each frame) I have had 3 frames crack on me in the upper part of the hoop.

One time I was using my racquet to pick up a ball and the top part of the frame around the guard scraped the ground and the frame cracked.

Two other times I tossed my racquet over to my bag, it was about 3-4 feet and the toss was not hard, I was simply intending to put my racquet down while I got a drink of water on changeovers. Both times my racquet cracked in the upper part of the hoop around the guard.

I can definitely say that there are some durability issues with the frame but each time they broke I sent them back to Prince and recieved a replacement with no problems.

soggyramen
11-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I repeat any old rumor. This is what I am hearing.

My friend says all the new Wilson rackets are out and being introduced to the reps. Not sure how many frames are out yet, but he felt it was around 5-7. He will let me know when he finds out.

Prince is taking a new direction. They are dropping the speedport line. Lack of high end sales, cracking in the black series and players are choosing to use the string Port inserts anyway. The o3 series will be phased out slowly, sales are still good for some models. One reason is that re-srtinging these frames have been disappointing in long term wear. One top end stringer said they turn to mush after repeated stringing. Not quite sure what he means.

The ex-Wilson guy, now leading Prince, is taking a page out of the Wilson book and making rackets similar to what the pros are using. So now they can go out and sign top pros and re-paint their rackets to look like Prince's. Hard to paint a player's racket to look like an o3. Also, can't wait for the new update to the Prince Graphite.

Head rackets are selling well in the Extreme series, but that is it. The Crossbow's are doing well by women slowly.

Technifibre slowly disappearing in the US. Lack of money and top end player recognition. Shake-up in management hasn't help. Will focus on Europe and other markets. String sales are still strong.

Feel free to report your own rumors or news. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but all of it was from reputable sources from each company. But like always, rumors are just that.....rumors.

the prestige is selling well too. it always sells well. that and the radicals. i've seen a buttload of radicals pop up all over the place in the past couple of months.

Rasta
11-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I wish Yonex would step up and offer a new frame or two in the RD line. An RDS 005 maybe???

LafayetteHitter
11-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I would think the Radical would outsell the Extreme by far. I see very few Extreme around. They are introducing the new model of Extreme though so maybe it is selling well worldwide. I doubt Prince drops the speedport technology but let's face it they have produced too many different models that cater to new players and women that hardly could know one from the other. The fact that they are releasing the graphite and the Rebel models shows the speedports are selling well. I know I see many speedport blacks on the courts here.

PBODY99
11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I have been playing with the speedport black for over a year now and yes something is up with the frame. Although I have never had one crack or break due to stringing(I would estimate about 10-15 stringings on each frame) I have had 3 frames crack on me in the upper part of the hoop.

One time I was using my racquet to pick up a ball and the top part of the frame around the guard scraped the ground and the frame cracked.

Two other times I tossed my racquet over to my bag, it was about 3-4 feet and the toss was not hard, I was simply intending to put my racquet down while I got a drink of water on changeovers. Both times my racquet cracked in the upper part of the hoop around the guard.

I can definitely say that there are some durability issues with the frame but each time they broke I sent them back to Prince and recieved a replacement with no problems.

I have an O 3 tour that cracked when it was tossed down on a racket bag after the player lost. The price decrease means that a "new" model will replace the one that are going away in the line up. I hope that they could produce a frame that is a little less hollow at the same power levels. Also at least one 28 " frame for those of us who can handle the increase in swing weight.

bdog
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Purely coincidental about the speedport rumor. Two days after my post they put the speedports on sale. I actually heard that rumor the previous week. How come Head, Prince and Dunlop are so quick to put their rackets on sale?

PED
11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Given the economy and retail sales that are seeing the biggest drops in 39 years, I would imagine the racquet will do just about anything to sell their products at the moment.

Gas prices have given us a nice bump with their big drop in the last 6 weeks, so that should help. :)