PDA

View Full Version : Staggered String Bed

ezylman
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I have a Dunlop racquet with a staggered string bed. My parents both play with the old Prince Vortex frames that have the same thing. This means the grommets are not all in a line. I like the effect that it has on my game, but I can't find any current racquets with this feature. Is there a reason they don't do this any more? Is there a racquet out there nowadays with this feature?

VGP
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure if it's considered "legal" according to the ITF rules.

I think the rules stated that the strings have to be in a single plane and the positions of the strings at the edges aren't in the same plane on a staggered stringbed.

Either that or it never commercially took off. Also, I remember some people that used the old Prince Vortexes complained about the grommets breaking prematurely.....

retrowagen
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure if it's considered "legal" according to the ITF rules.

I think the rules stated that the strings have to be in a single plane and the positions of the strings at the edges aren't in the same plane on a staggered stringbed.

Eh? Then every old standard-sized wood frame must be illegal per that interpretation of the ITF rules...

Steve Huff
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't worry, it's legal. They normally quit making something that seems simple because of economics. It's a lot cheaper to have a drill that drills in 1 plane than it is to have have 3 separate drilling planes.

VGP
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Eh? Then every old standard-sized wood frame must be illegal per that interpretation of the ITF rules...

Well, the rule wasn't put out until spaghetti stringing....

but, the holes on the outside of the frame are "staggered" but the holes into the inner face of the frame are in a single plane.

robby c
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
String breakage was a big headache with the Vortex. Prince made a later version with standard string pattern, but it couldn't overcome the bad rep.
Plus the Vortex was over-hyped, and overpriced. Stores had a video to show how the variable stiffness technology supposedly made the racquet stiffer on hard shots ,and softer on slow ones. Reality quickly set in.
Robby C