PDA

View Full Version : Kneissl Black Star or Redondo or ???

shanker
11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Anybody use one here? Impressions? Likes or dislikes?
I'm looking for a heavy, arm friendly stick and can't decide between a Black Star or a Redondo MP. I know, I know, two pretty different sticks.
I love what I read about the Redondo but don't know if I have the strokes to fully take advantage of it, i.e., the fact that it is strictly advertised an a "players" racquet. I'm a 3.5 on a good day and 48 years old and play about 3 times a week.
I'm currently using a leaded up Wilson Ncode n5 OS (110) that I have changed to be 12.25 oz and 12 points hl. Before it was sub 10 oz and 10 points hh.

Ideas? Please advise.

Greg

treblings
11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
The first advice always has to be to playtest the rackets. itīs the best way to find out, whether you like a racket or not.
if you want to improve as a player, than buying a more demanding "players" racket could be a good thing. it forces you to work on your technique.

shanker
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
At this juncture, play testing either is not an option.
Maybe I should go with the Redondo and follow the advice on this board if I need to modify it.
Thanks for your response.
Greg

auzzieizm
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
are you playing with the stiff n5 or the n5 force? I have been wondering what leading up those flexy n5 force frames feel like at 12 oz and headlight.

treblings
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
i play the redondo myself, and it is a very forgiving racket. canīt go wrong with that one. lots of advice in the redondo thread on how to tune it.

shanker
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
are you playing with the stiff n5 or the n5 force? I have been wondering what leading up those flexy n5 force frames feel like at 12 oz and headlight.

The n5 force. Hard to find info on it but somewhere I found that it had a 56 flex. It feels pretty good now but I still may tweak it a little bit more. I did this because I wanted to see if I would like a heavier frame but similar hl specs.

Greg

shanker
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM
i play the redondo myself, and it is a very forgiving racket. canīt go wrong with that one. lots of advice in the redondo thread on how to tune it.

That sounds good to me. I used to play with a woodie Maxply Mac in the early 80's. I love that racquet. I am tending toward the Redondo--seems to have quite a cult following.

Greg

treblings
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
That sounds good to me. I used to play with a woodie Maxply Mac in the early 80's. I love that racquet. I am tending toward the Redondo--seems to have quite a cult following.

Greg

I regularly save old maxplys from fleamarkets:) have about two dozen of them at home.
the redondo is a bit of an old-school racket. personally i think, that it works better for flat shots than topspin.

matchmaker
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Try the Redondo but the MP, if you come from an oversize the mid will be too hard to handle.

haerdalis
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I have owned the redondo mp and I have used the kneissl black star for about a year, I also own a n5 force OS which I tried to lead up and use. I find the black star to be much better than the n5 force OS and also nice on my arm.
Choosing between the redondo or the black star pretty much comes down to headsize (obviously). Youäll get more access to spin and power from the black star, a little more comfort and litte less control (some would say alot). The black star has very good control considering its headsize but it cant compare to a redondo mp struck well.
If you are a 3.5 however I'd say the black star is the better choice.

shanker
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your ideas. I will eventually post what I purchase and my impressions of same.
Greg

auzzieizm
11-04-2008, 03:32 AM
The n5 force. Hard to find info on it but somewhere I found that it had a 56 flex. It feels pretty good now but I still may tweak it a little bit more. I did this because I wanted to see if I would like a heavier frame but similar hl specs.

Greg

I have owned the redondo mp and I have used the kneissl black star for about a year, I also own a n5 force OS which I tried to lead up and use. I find the black star to be much better than the n5 force OS and also nice on my arm.

Could either of you elaborate more on what the n5 plays like leaded up and headlight?

I have not had the chance to demo the redondo. I have had the chance to try the Black Star, and I haven't played with a frame as powerful as that in a while. I was excited seeing the specs of the Kneissl, and looking forward to the demo. That frame just shot balls out of the court. It was my least favorite frame during that demo session-week (I also had the Prince Ozone Pro Tour, the Babolat Aerostorm Tour, and the Donnay Pro One International- and I really didn't like any of these to be honest). Good luck with your decision, shanker.

shanker
11-04-2008, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=auzzieizm;2838384]Could either of you elaborate more on what the n5 plays like leaded up and headlight?

Let's see: it made my elbow pain stop, for the most part. It's really solid feeling at the net. Obviously, it feels much heavier and seems to hit with a lot more control. I just wanted to attempt to emulate how a heavier stick would feel to me.

Greg

auzzieizm
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
So what don't you like about it anymore?

El Diablo
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
haerdalis
You and that Black Star are like a recurring dream that I still can't figure out. You seem chronically a little ambivalent about it. Is it a racquet a fairly hard hitting 4.5 would enjoy, say someone who used to love the POG OS? Also, does one set of string suffice to string it?

haerdalis
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Could either of you elaborate more on what the n5 plays like leaded up and headlight?

I have not had the chance to demo the redondo. I have had the chance to try the Black Star, and I haven't played with a frame as powerful as that in a while. I was excited seeing the specs of the Kneissl, and looking forward to the demo. That frame just shot balls out of the court. It was my least favorite frame during that demo session-week (I also had the Prince Ozone Pro Tour, the Babolat Aerostorm Tour, and the Donnay Pro One International- and I really didn't like any of these to be honest). Good luck with your decision, shanker.

Well for me unleaded the n5 force OS had decent control when playing with spin and taking full swings. When leading it up I actually felt I lost control because It became harder to maneuver even if it was more headlight. It was very stable but I didnt like it at all like that. If you thought the Black Star was too powerful than you would probably not like the n5 Force OS leaded up.

haerdalis
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
haerdalis
You and that Black Star are like a recurring dream that I still can't figure out. You seem chronically a little ambivalent about it. Is it a racquet a fairly hard hitting 4.5 would enjoy, say someone who used to love the POG OS? Also, does one set of string suffice to string it?

I have never had a set of strings not be enough on the racquet. In some cases it can be a problem if you buy a set to use it for hybrid stringing as some sets might not have enough length for 2 main stringings but most will. It needs about 12 meters if you string with poly.
I am a little ambivalent about it. I can play excellent top spin drives with it. Taking full swings is no problem if you spin the ball and access to spin is very good. I can hit great kickers but I cant get a high percentage of well placed first serves in. It is also a little unwieldy at the net.
If you mainly hit serves with a lot of spin and play a top spin baseline game and want to have a very comfortable OS stick than you will probably like it.
If you hit flat first serves and depend on them and like to come to the net than you might not like the frame.
It doesnt have the stability of the POG OS. You will need some added weight for that. A good feature with this frame is that it comes with 3 different buttcap inserts. One standard and one that adds 5 grams and one that adds 10 grams. I play with the 10 gram one which has my frame at 328 grams strung with poly and a dampener. It is about 1 inch HL. It does have a very flexy feeling which some might describe as a trampoline feel. It doesnt feel like a flexy fischer for instance. I like the feeling of it and the comfort is supreme. My main complaint is the serve which I cant aim the way I can with many of my other frames.

auzzieizm
11-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Well for me unleaded the n5 force OS had decent control when playing with spin and taking full swings. When leading it up I actually felt I lost control because It became harder to maneuver even if it was more headlight. It was very stable but I didnt like it at all like that. If you thought the Black Star was too powerful than you would probably not like the n5 Force OS leaded up.

Thanks for saving me some money! I have been extremely curious to try leading up either the n5 force or k5 to see if I could get it close to what I want. I guess this frame doesn't work that way.

shanker
11-05-2008, 05:39 AM
So what don't you like about it anymore?

I am looking for a little better racquet for my wife to get me for Christmas. I decided on the Redondo. My intention was to try to emulate a heavier stick like the Redondo by leading up my n5Force OS to see if I could handle a heavier racquet. I'll continue playing with and tweaking the n5 until that magic day comes when I get the Red.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks again everyone for all the great ideas.
Greg