PDA

View Full Version : scraped my MG PRESTIGE!!

Gugafan
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Played on some crappy hard court today...and ended up going for a low ball which resulted in damage to the top of the bumper (Small bit of plastic has come off). Will this effect the playability of the racquet...Does anyone know where I can get a new cap grommet bumper for my prestige??.

dantespark33
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageHEAD-HMGPMPG.html

stormholloway
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
You scraped your grommet? That's what it's for dude! Scrapes add character. Gibson guitars sells its custom Les Pauls for more if they add scrapes to them.

It's like skids on yer shorts mate.

samster
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
That's terrible, shame on you!!!

Just kidding...just buy a new bumper and you are all set! :)

Gugafan
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Guys Its the bumper which is damaged. The plastic which is the protective layer bonded to the racquet head.

There is no damage to the small grommets.

Daycrawler
11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Grow a pair and get over it.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-GROMHEAD.html

Gugafan
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM

LOL....My MG was in good nick prior the bumper damage. I am assuming you dont look after your sticks loser.

Daycrawler
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
LOL....My MG was in good nick prior the bumper damage. I am assuming you dont look after your sticks loser.

I value the shot and getting the ball back more than a scratch on my stick. I do take care of my sticks and they are still in good condition. I love my ncodes and I have four of them and they all have scratches but I don't make a thread about it, I'm just saying like its not a big deal, everyone gets scratches if your so worried throw some head tape on the racket so it can look pretty for you. Doesn't matter how pretty the racket, matters how you play with it.

tennisfreak15347
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Guys Its the bumper which is damaged. The plastic which is the protective layer bonded to the racquet head.

There is no damage to the small grommets.

the bumper is attached to the grommets..... the protective layer bonded to the racquet also acts as a grommet set.

Cup8489
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM

not necessary..

sounds like you'll just need a new headgaurd. no biggie.

meowmix
11-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Not a problem. Racket are meant to be used. In the course of using a racket, they're meant to get nicked, scratched, and otherwise damaged. I treat my rackets very well, but I've got scratches, and a few small paint chips from when I went for low shots. It happens. Get over it.

Daycrawler
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Not a problem. Racket are meant to be used. In the course of using a racket, they're meant to get nicked, scratched, and otherwise damaged. I treat my rackets very well, but I've got scratches, and a few small paint chips from when I went for low shots. It happens. Get over it.

Well Said.

tennisfreak15347
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM

so now we're all losers? :-| we're just trying to assure you that there is no real damage in scratching the bumper guard. everyone, once in a while, will have to reach for those low volleys and eventually they will scratch their frame. once again, I'll repeat that the BUMPER GUARD, which is wrapped around most of the head of the racquet, is ATTACHED TO THE GROMMETS. if you buy the grommets, it is also a BUMPER GUARD. just replace it, its that simple. I don't think anyone would purposefully mistreat a $200 racquet, unless your Marat Safin.

Gugafan
11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I value the shot and getting the ball back more than a scratch on my stick. I do take care of my sticks and they are still in good condition. I love my ncodes and I have four of them and they all have scratches but I don't make a thread about it, I'm just saying like its not a big deal, everyone gets scratches if your so worried throw some head tape on the racket so it can look pretty for you. Doesn't matter how pretty the racket, matters how you play with it.

I like my racquets to look pretty. Infact I even put them in plastic bags with an elastic band tied around the handle like the pros. I would like to add the damage is not a scratch or nick, its clear that the bumper has become slightly raised and indented in a small region near the racquet head.

I keep getting paranoid everytime I am hitting shots by looking at the bumper.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I will be replacing it soon.

Bengt
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Please tell me you didn't chip a nail too!

Murray_Maniac
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I like my racquets to look pretty. Infact I even put them in plastic bags with an elastic band tied around the handle like the pros. I would like to add the damage is not a scratch or nick, its clear that the bumper has become slightly raised and indented in a small region near the racquet head.

No man dont! It does no harm to your frame. The only thing it does is mess with your head. Doesnt mess with the playability at all. Racquets arent a piece of art, but a tool. Their meant and made to be used and abused.

the wise wizard
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM

yeah buy some head tape if its that bad.

yebo
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

lmao is this a joke. just be a man about it and play with it. bumpers are supposed to get worn down from use assuming u dont play like a girl

Don S
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Gibson guitars sells its custom Les Pauls for more if they add scrapes to them.[/QUOTE]

Only an idiot would pay extra for a reliced Gibson Les Paul. Serious musicians don't go for artifically relected guitars.They're already not worth what Gibson is asking and riding on the name. And half the time, the quality is absolute crap. But as for the original Poster - Either get over it and move on, or buy a crapload of headguards and string.

tennisfreak15347
11-03-2008, 05:52 PM

hmm, i chipped a nail! I got this from playing tennis! since tennis is the cause of this, should I stop from refraining playing tennis anymore? everytime i play tennis, I am paranoid and keep thinking about my chipped nail! I don't think it's going to grow back, because I don't think nails grow, so maybe I should buy a guard for my nails! :-|

J011yroger
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I have to post a pic of the bumpers of a stack of my racquets.

After the first hit they look like most peoples after a year.

J

nCode747
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
This will have massive affect on the playablity of your racquets. serves will go down at least 10 mph. Might as throw it out now.

NOT

teppeiahn1
11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Im soo pro, i never scratch my racket!!! i am a 6.0 highschool player!

be like me dude, were cool

MrBluefin
11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
You scraped your grommet? That's what it's for dude! Scrapes add character. Gibson guitars sells its custom Les Pauls for more if they add scrapes to them.

It's like skids on yer shorts mate.

Thanks for those, best laugh I've had in a while! The Dirty Martini's also helped!!

bet
11-03-2008, 07:05 PM

If you really are that obssesed with impressing people, put this energy into learning how to play!

Personally, I think nothing looks sillier than a beginner who does things like put his racquets in plastic bags so he can "look" like a pro. It won't impress most people, it will make you look stupid as soon as they see your game!

1hand4ever
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I have to post a pic of the bumpers of a stack of my racquets.

After the first hit they look like most peoples after a year.

J

But Jolly, the question is, do any of your J-90s have blood stains? Mine does :shock: ..........

I was stringing a poly and a sharp edge caught my finger lol.:)

SuperJimmy
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Why would you be concerned with playability of the racquet if all that matters is that the bumper guard looks nice? To never scrap the plastic you practically have to be playing with moon ballers all the time. That, or every shot that's low you just give them the point.

tennisfreak15347
11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Why would you be concerned with playability of the racquet if all that matters is that the bumper guard looks nice? To never scrap the plastic you practically have to be playing with moon ballers all the time. That, or every shot that's low you just give them the point.

actually. I found a very efficient way of keeping your racquet in perfect condition. never play with it. that is the only way your racquet will not get scratched. other than that, one would just have to live with the scratches. I understand that people may get OCD over their racquet looking nice when they first get it, but that feeling eventually wears off after 1 scratch becomes two, and two scratches become three.

J011yroger
11-04-2008, 03:08 AM
But Jolly, the question is, do any of your J-90s have blood stains? Mine does :shock: ..........

I was stringing a poly and a sharp edge caught my finger lol.:)

3-4 times on my N90s I had bloodstains, none on the J90s.

Nothing says badass like a bloodstained Wilson pro overgrip.

J

Gugafan
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Lol hahaha....Your guys responses made me laugh. I was exaggerating about having the stick in perfect condition.

VGP
11-04-2008, 12:26 PM

J

You really should be careful picking your nose while playing tennis....

You should really pull your finger out when you get as far as second knuckle deep......

TnTBigman
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
You're like me. One paint chip or scrape on my new racquet, and I'm ready to sell it and get a new one.
I found a way to reduce frame and bumper damage- improving your footwork. :D

Daycrawler
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Lol. On the blood subject. My friend has punched his racket strings before, bad idea lol.

yebo
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Lol hahaha....Your guys responses made me laugh. I was exaggerating about having the stick in perfect condition.

nice attempt at a save

J011yroger
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
You really should be careful picking your nose while playing tennis....

You should really pull your finger out when you get as far as second knuckle deep......

Picking my nose? That is disgusting.

The blood is actually from hemorrhoids.

J

VGP
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Lol. On the blood subject. My friend has punched his racket strings before, bad idea lol.

I guess as long as you don't pull a Youzhny.....

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00513/youzhny_280x390_513058a.jpg

I like that. "Pull a Youzhny."

VGP
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Picking my nose? That is disgusting.

The blood is actually from hemorrhoids.

J

You must have been carrying your racket around the court without using your hands......

J011yroger
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
You must have been carrying your racket around the court without using your hands......

Where else would you keep it on changeovers?

J

VGP
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Yup. Especially if you don't have a chair or a bench....

You gotta keep the racket tucked away so that you can keep your hands free for opening your drinks and toweling off and such.

1hand4ever
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM

J

Hmm, i think ill have to try out the blood stain on the overgrip :shock:

J011yroger
11-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Update! First blood stained J90!

The callous on my middle finger split in half, and during 2 hours of volley drills started to leak tonite.

J

VPB
11-25-2008, 04:05 AM
thereīs a reason why that hapened! YOU played with it! just stop playing with it and itīs solved!

now serious: dont worry about s**t like that, itīs all part of the game...racks are made to play. Google images of racks in pro circuit and see how much the gromīs are in s**ty condition! it only make it look more pro (and you as well)!

...get over it:)

if not...buy a new grom and dont play anymore with it.

Pushmaster
11-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Head guard tape would certainly help, I suggest you buy some.