PDA

View Full Version : Spalding ATP line

treblings
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
At the time when Spalding was the official racket of the ATP i was really interested in playing that frame. Unfortunately they werenīt widely available in Europe, so i missed out.
Iīd like your opinions, about how well they played. Is it true, that they were basically Prestige clones?
There were different models, which one was the best?
Anybody out there, still playing with them?

treblings
11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
now that thread of mine clearly was a winner:)
you know, in a way no answer is also an answer. because what it tells me is, that the Spalding ATPs obviously have no following on this board.
Which means they were probably not to good to start with.

AC Tennis
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I briefly played with the Spaulding ATP Pro Stock 200. Good solid frame. 90" head, very heavy with great plow through. Could serve bombs, chip and charge and slice very well. Had trouble coming over the ball consistently, probably due to the weight and small head. Anyway, a good stick if it fit your game.

PBODY99
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
My 45's doubles partner used a Pro Stock 90 a few years ago. It was stiffer & heavier than the 88 sq( red cosmetics Ti _ something ) in Yonex frames he mainly used.

cyberwing88
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
you guys are so good at promoting the racket you want to sell, remind me of how those wall street companies jacking up gas and futures price.

jayserinos99
11-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Which means they were probably not to good to start with.

this is not the case. they just don't have a following. they came out in the mid 90s and were up against the prestiges and pro tours and pro staffs. the only pro that i could remember that used one was canas way back in the day but i could be wrong.

i had the pro stock 200; it's very reminiscent of a prestige mid, but it's also very heavy. this frame and the pk black ace (90s version) were 13 oz. strung stock. it had a nice flex to it and due to mass one can really hit a heavy ball if you can get it around.

netman
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
The ATP line was Spalding's last gasp effort at staying relevant in the tennis market. I've hit with a few of them and they were solid, well made frames. The Pro Stock line were heavy, solid frames mostly in the 12 -13 oz range. For example, the Pro Stock 200 was basically a clone of the Head Prestige Tour. The Pro Line group were lighter verisons of the Pro Stock frames.

Unfortunately, there was nothing special about any of them and so they were pretty much the end of the line for Spalding in the tennis market. Spalding was one of the original tennis racquet mfgs and a major player up until the transition to graphite frames. I started on Spalding wood frames and fondly remember all the the different colored tennis balls Spalding offered in the 70's. Spalding was synonymous with tennis from the 20's until the 70's and it was sad to see them disappear.

-k-

treblings
11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
this is not the case. they just don't have a following. they came out in the mid 90s and were up against the prestiges and pro tours and pro staffs. the only pro that i could remember that used one was canas way back in the day but i could be wrong.

i had the pro stock 200; it's very reminiscent of a prestige mid, but it's also very heavy. this frame and the pk black ace (90s version) were 13 oz. strung stock. it had a nice flex to it and due to mass one can really hit a heavy ball if you can get it around.

i was a bit provocative with that "no good" comment. the pro stock 200 sound like the kind of frame that i would be interested in. prestige mid and pk black ace are my kind of rackets.

thanks for the info

Dino Lagaffe
11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I had my Spalding Pro Stock 200 measured on an RDC-machine a while ago. These were the stats (strung):

Weight: 365 g/12.88oz
Flex: 69
SW: 345

It's a nice racquet, but feels rather stiff to me. The racquet on the left is an older Spalding called Ceramic something. Also a very solid feeling racquet.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3228/tennisspaldingjp7.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tennisspaldingjp7.jpg)

treblings
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
The ATP line was Spalding's last gasp effort at staying relevant in the tennis market. I've hit with a few of them and they were solid, well made frames. The Pro Stock line were heavy, solid frames mostly in the 12 -13 oz range. For example, the Pro Stock 200 was basically a clone of the Head Prestige Tour. The Pro Line group were lighter verisons of the Pro Stock frames.

Unfortunately, there was nothing special about any of them and so they were pretty much the end of the line for Spalding in the tennis market. Spalding was one of the original tennis racquet mfgs and a major player up until the transition to graphite frames. I started on Spalding wood frames and fondly remember all the the different colored tennis balls Spalding offered in the 70's. Spalding was synonymous with tennis from the 20's until the 70's and it was sad to see them disappear.

-k-

If the pro stock 200 is a prestige clone, thats good enough for me:)
i have a few spalding woodies in my collection and am very fond of them

Rabbit
11-09-2008, 07:21 AM
The thing that amazes me about the whole Spalding line is that we all beg for frames like these and when someone listens and builds them....nobody buys them. Ok, so we have

Point
These are the frames that everyone begs for and they don't sell. Is it then small wonder that frames are getting bigger and lighter? Even if these frames had sold, the money just isn't in the 4.0 and up market. The money is in the 3.5 and down.... Don't beleive me? Check the prices of the 115 sq in monster versus the price of the 95s...

and

Counterpoint
Yeah, but Spalding?

I hit the the 90 sq in racket they made and it's a hunk of lumber. But it's a nice hitting good playing frame.

treblings
11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Dino, thanks for the photo.

Thanks to everybody for the responses. it confirmed my suspicion that the spalding atp line would be something i would like to play.
obviously the pro stock 200 seems to be the top racket of that line, and i try to look out for it on the bay.
donīt think that flea-markets over here in europe will have one.

Rabbit, i agree with your conclusion, that heavy rackets for 4.0+ donīt sell
you just have to look whats on the wall in sports shops.
i think that most people are better off playing with lighter more forgiving rackets.

Bud
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
you guys are so good at promoting the racket you want to sell, remind me of how those wall street companies jacking up gas and futures price.

What are you talking about?

Do you even have a clue about the Spalding Pro Stock/Pro Line racquets?

I didn't think so.

Bud
12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I had my Spalding Pro Stock 200 measured on an RDC-machine a while ago. These were the stats (strung):

Weight: 365 g/12.88oz
Flex: 69
SW: 345

It's a nice racquet, but feels rather stiff to me. The racquet on the left is an older Spalding called Ceramic something. Also a very solid feeling racquet.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3228/tennisspaldingjp7.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tennisspaldingjp7.jpg)

I also have a number of Pro Stock / Pro Line ATP Spaldings and I think they are also rather stiff.

I'm not surprised the stiffness is 69.

Bud
12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a brand spankin' new ATP Tour Pro Stock 250 that's missing a set of top grommets (unbeknownst to the seller :roll:)

It's a hefty stick...
Matte paint (Pro Stock typical)
98 sq. in.
18x19 pattern
12.1 oz. (unstrung)
9 pts. HL (unstrung)
Fairway leather grip

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/SHxUH9KvuzI/AAAAAAAAFDA/3MXlganLXLc/s1024/P1020914.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/SHxUZF9nZgI/AAAAAAAABVE/qT7WO7v6BIo/s1024/P1020921.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/SHxUNIbVPEI/AAAAAAAABUc/qtkhAwHVHXI/s1024/P1020916.JPG