PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Fischer M Pro Number One 98?

Lendl
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a chance to pick some SL version up for a good deal. Those that have experience with this frame what did you like and not like? I'm a 5.0 all court player.

0d1n
11-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Liked everything except the serving power. It's a great all-round control oriented racket that swings very light for it's weight.

Lendl
11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I've had some elbow trouble and this racket came at a very good price and with a good rep for being easy on the arm. I went ahead and got them and I'll string them up tomorrow and test them out.

fuzz nation
11-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I played these for a bit and they were not too shabby. Be patient with the strings since it might take a couple of tries to get your tension right. This frame can be a combo of hot and mild until you get settled in, but I think it's one of those smooth performers that runs well in every phase of the game. I agree that they play rather light for their static weight, but I'm a long time user of racquets that are up near 13 oz. Hope you like them!

mdjenders
11-06-2008, 09:30 PM
great racquet, and unique! it is a flexy frame, but almost all of the flex is in the throat. this gives a very neat pocketing sensation, and topspin is ample. i like the fact that the head is not too flexy, nice and consistent. the sl was just too beefy for me (i have a brand new 1/4 waiting for someone to purchase for cheap).

pfchang
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
really don't mean to hijack but are there diffs between the red/green and the yellow/green versions of the SL?

aside from the PJ and NT. the throat looks a bit different.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230024

Mansewerz
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
What does SL stand for? is it the 12 oz one? I've got an old fischer pro number one, I believe it's the model before the red/black one. I love it, i just need a bigger grip size.

0d1n
11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
really don't mean to hijack but are there diffs between the red/green and the yellow/green versions of the SL?

There's no difference in the frame. The handle and the paint are different, that's about it.

What does SL stand for? is it the 12 oz one? I've got an old fischer pro number one, I believe it's the model before the red/black one. I love it, i just need a bigger grip size.

SL = super light (i.e the heavier of the two available versions, don't you just love the naming conventions??!?)

Djokovicfan4life
11-07-2008, 02:42 AM
There's no difference in the frame. The handle and the paint are different, that's about it.

SL = super light (i.e the heavier of the two available versions, don't you just love the naming conventions??!?)

Yeah, I always thought the names for this frame were a little misleading. I would hardly consider 335 grams to be "super light", at least for most players. :confused:

It's a great stick for everything, IMO. But the older red/black version is even better.

jorel
11-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I always thought the names for this frame were a little misleading. I would hardly consider 335 grams to be "super light", at least for most players. :confused:

It's a great stick for everything, IMO. But the older red/black version is even better.
thats been standard practive for a while now.... i know wood racquets that used to be like 13-14 oz being called the "light" version

JediMindTrick
11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
What I liked about the racquet is that it's very soft and arm-friendly. What I didn't like is that it wobbles, practically a wet noodle. The old Pro No One was a lot more solid.

jrod
11-07-2008, 08:27 AM
What I liked about the racquet is that it's very soft and arm-friendly. What I didn't like is that it wobbles, practically a wet noodle. The old Pro No One was a lot more solid.

I use the M Pro #1 98 for doubles and really like it. I've added a small amount of lead at 3 and 9, and countered this in the handle to maintain the same balance. It's a very comfortable stick with excellent spin and decent accuracy. I agree that it lacks in power on the serve relative to other sticks I've used (C10 Pro, k90, BB11 mid, Donnay Pro 1 Intl). I find my technique is somewhat lacking in singles and my groundstrokes can be a little short, making me vulnerable to opportunistic (i.e. good) players. I tend to use the k90 for singles play since I get more consistent depth with it.

For the record, my son uses the Roddick Pro Drive+ and refers to my Fischers as "wet noodles" too.

alfa164164
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
They are flexible and low-powered but swing pretty easy.
I've found the frame's mass allows me to serve a really heavy ball.
I serve great with it, but many have commented that it is underpowered in the serving department.
IMO it plays best when strung in the mid 50s range.
Overall a great racket.

Mansewerz
11-07-2008, 10:55 AM

LOL, what is UL then? Ultra light? I agree, the weight of this isn't super light! I love it though. Feels much better for volleys than my yonex RDX500 and I felt a bit more pop on my groundstrokes. Serve too.

It's a shame. I was gonna get a newer one sometime in the future as a backup, but since the red/black version is better, i'm gonna wait it out for a used one to come up.

pfchang
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL, what is UL then? Ultra light? I agree, the weight of this isn't super light! I love it though. Feels much better for volleys than my yonex RDX500 and I felt a bit more pop on my groundstrokes. Serve too.

It's a shame. I was gonna get a newer one sometime in the future as a backup, but since the red/black version is better, i'm gonna wait it out for a used one to come up.

wait so you prefered the FT's or the one that was like 27.4" long? and don't the older ones also have the funky grip shapes?

Karma_struggle
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I demoed that frame a few months back. It felt lighter than advertised, and felt great on groundstrokes. Volleys felt awesome as well. A very large downside was the serve. I was unable to find a consistent response, even when going for a wide variety of serves.

austro
11-08-2008, 02:40 AM
The red/black is not "better" ! It is exactly the same! Only the grip shape (and obviously the paint) is different.

Djokovicfan4life
11-08-2008, 03:42 AM
The red/black is not "better" ! It is exactly the same! Only the grip shape (and obviously the paint) is different.

No, it isn't. Have you used both of these sticks? The older version feels a LOT different than the yellow/green model.

Lendl
11-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Hit with it this morning for about 45 minutes of baseline rallying. My arm is still very tender so I was not able to do any slices or serves. The racket is very light for me but I'm coming from a leaded up MG Prestige Mid and the
Fischer was right out of the box and strung up last night, no lead added.

I like it, very low powered and easy access to spin. Really feels like a dream in your hand. Just holding it things feel so balanced and right. We were using some used balls today so I think that had a part in the racket feeling so low powered. In our matches we always use new balls which make a huge difference obviously.

I have these strung at 55 lbs. with K-Gut Pro 17 and Wilson Extreme 16 to test out the feel. I hit with the Extreme 16 racket today.

Overall no complaints, got them at a very good deal and will continue to lock in to them with any weighting adjustments and string changes.

sargeinaz
11-08-2008, 08:56 AM
It is the racket I use and I love it. I use it in stock form and I dont think the power is that low. It is very comfortable, has a nice flex, good topspin. I think Fischer really designed the M Pro 1 well. Glad to see you like it as well.

Mansewerz
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
wait so you prefered the FT's or the one that was like 27.4" long? and don't the older ones also have the funky grip shapes?

FTs? No, I have an older pro number one. It is essentially the same specs as the red/black pro number one, just probably one model earlier. It weighs around 11.3 unstrung.

And by funky grip shapes, if you mean the square ones, then yes, it does.

Vitaly Evchenkov
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
lendl - are you selling any of you MG Prestige mids?

Lendl
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Not at the moment. I switch rackets so frequently that I'll likely sell them but I do like them and if I can strengthen my arm I may go back to them. They are a great racket I have nothing bad to say about but my arm really needs an arm friendly racket for my elbow. First impression, I really liked the Fisher so if I end up sticking to these I may unload the Heads. Just email me periodically to check if you like, they are all in 9+ condition. Two are not even used yet.

pfchang
11-10-2008, 05:10 PM
got my M SPEED pro #1 today. it's the older green/red scheme SL that has the square grip.

took off the replacement grip, put like 5 strips of electrical tape to make a more "wilson" shape, worked out great.

also did some play testing. it's on a similar degree to the KBT, precision is there, feel is there, but sometimes it feels really dead, and mishits really suck.

but i'm pretty sure that's the string, as they've been in for awhile. but an awesome stick so far.

Lendl
11-11-2008, 04:30 PM
My arm is still very tender but I played my first competitive set today with this racket and liked it. Could not hit all the shots (slice, volley, hard/kick serves) but I do like the racket. Added some lead after playing today at 3 and 9, racket just seems so light. Overall it is a solid racket.

pfchang
11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
My arm is still very tender but I played my first competitive set today with this racket and liked it. Could not hit all the shots (slice, volley, hard/kick serves) but I do like the racket. Added some lead after playing today at 3 and 9, racket just seems so light. Overall it is a solid racket.

YEah! i thought it fellt light too! had my second playtest today, it was a little better, i had to accomodate my playing style a little and switch to a spin game, as some of the shot were landing long. i think it's still because of the low tension, but the stick feels a bit unstable sometimes and it feels extremely HL for some reason.

Lendl
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Same here, very light and not as stable as my previous racket (MG Prestige Mid) but hopefully the addition of the lead tape will fix that. Really like a lot of things about this racket, just needs some customization.

pfchang
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Same here, very light and not as stable as my previous racket (MG Prestige Mid) but hopefully the addition of the lead tape will fix that. Really like a lot of things about this racket, just needs some customization.

defly. has quite the bit of potential. i have the M SPEED version, so i had to fix up the pallet before playing well with it.

jorel
11-12-2008, 05:23 AM
defly. has quite the bit of potential. i have the M SPEED version, so i had to fix up the pallet before playing well with it.
i like the old pallet ... especially the older buttcap... classic Fischer and it looked cool

pfchang
11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
i like the old pallet ... especially the older buttcap... classic Fischer and it looked cool

i like the buttcaps, but the pallet? it was all square shaped and stuff. me no likey.

Lendl
11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Played a good close match today against a friend that is very consistent so I hit a lot of balls and this thing is just so low powered! I have lead tape added and it is strung at 55 lbs with synthetic gut and I'm still leaving the ball short and swinging out of my shoes it seems :) My arm is far from healthy so it may very well be me that is low powered but this racket compared to my MG Prestige Mid is WAY less power. Maybe I'll just throw in some natural gut.

tennisrep
11-13-2008, 01:54 AM

There actually is two major differences between the original Mag. Pro Number One 98 UL and SL (red/black), and the current version (yellow/black). The current one has a different grip pallet than the original, and the new ones also have NO TOLERANCE, meaning every racquet is guaranteed to weigh exactly the same.

austro
11-13-2008, 06:49 AM
No, it isn't. Have you used both of these sticks? The older version feels a LOT different than the yellow/green model.

Yes, I own several of each. They are the same. The difference is in your mind.

pfchang
11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
There actually is two major differences between the original Mag. Pro Number One 98 UL and SL (red/black), and the current version (yellow/black). The current one has a different grip pallet than the original, and the new ones also have NO TOLERANCE, meaning every racquet is guaranteed to weigh exactly the same.

ok, i was aware of that. but what i mean by a major difference is a change in frame construction. because the diff versions did not look the same structurally.

so aside from the PJ, the NT, and the pallet, they are the same?

NLBwell
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
My review of Fischer MPro#1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=200222&highlight=Fischer

Lendl
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I changed my mind, they are now for sale :)