PDA

View Full Version : challengers worth watching?

newbie123
02-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Are professional challengers worth watching? I'm in the bay area and I missed the SAP open. I want to watch some pro tennis cause I've never seen any. THeres a tiburon challenger in the bay area. Just wondering if it was worth the drive and money(pretty cheap tho). Also, do u have to buy tickets? Or do u just go there and pay right there?

goober
02-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Sure they are worth watching. You can watch 7.0 level tennis for cheap :)
Usually you can get great seats. I wouldn't worry about tickets since these things don't sell out. Just show up.

You can watch qualifiers for bigger tourneys like SAP for free in most cases.

Watching pro tennis is fun and gets me energized to play some tennis of my own.

Craig Sheppard
02-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Shoot if you're in the Bay Area, just go down to Stanford and watch some good Division I college tennis...you might see play as high level as any challenger.

arosen
02-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Challengers are awesome, I go to see a couple every year, you get to see some pro-level tennis for free, and if you stick around long enough you might actually get to talk to the guys ranked around 300 about their game etc. Those guys are pretty much as good as the top 100 guys, except they make a little more errors, IMHO.

Richie Rich
02-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Cheapest way to see good tennis is either qualies or challengers. You see guys ranked 120-250 and they really care if they win or lose. These guys have to scrap it out to make a living and get almost nothing for free. You won't be disappointed.

bigserving
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Ditto what others have said. Challengers and Futures may be the best value in pro tennis. There is another Mens's Challenger event at Aptos just south of Santa Cruz. Roddick, Blake, Chang, Rafter, Fish, and many other top men played there on their way up the ladder. Great tennis for ten or fifteen bucks. The players are also usually more accesible to fans at
Challengers events.

There is also a Women's Challenger in Los Gatos that is held around June.

AndrewD
02-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Challengers are great to watch . You get to see players a lot closer up than you might normally and you get to see the fine line that separates a top shelf, top 100 pro from all of those other guys who desparately want to get there. Ive umpired at quite a few of them and you'd be surprised at how much variation there can be in the quality of the players. Some look like they really belong on the tour and others leave you wondering why they put themselves through it all.

I prefer going to the qualifying for a major event as you get a much higher standard of play so if you get the chance to see qualies go to those as well.

Richie Rich
02-13-2005, 03:30 AM
Caution going to a womens challenger though. Makes any 5.0 mens player want to jump on the court and earn a living by killing these "professionals"

ohplease
02-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Caution going to a womens challenger though. Makes any 5.0 mens player want to jump on the court and earn a living by killing these "professionals"

I disagree. I watched some of the girls practicing at the 16's nationals last year - some of whom weren't even thinking about going pro, btw - alongside some very good open level men. We were all impressed.

Datacipher
02-13-2005, 08:55 AM

You're right about this at the satellite level Rich. Challengers SHOULD have a good field. Sometimes at women's satellite's they dont' even have enough players to fill out the draw....or at least that was the case a few years ago. There were some true hacks in there....I'm not kidding, 40 year old club playing women with no high level experience....4.0's at best. Not too many though....just a few...hacking away...you'll still see some really good tennis from most of the field. If you've ever heard of Easi tennis...there's an example. The founder used to tout proudly her world ranking and success on the tour....though last time i looked, they toned it down and admitted she struggled. What they don't mention is, she was literally a joke out there and her record is embarassing.

goober
02-13-2005, 09:39 AM
If you've ever heard of Easi tennis...there's an example. The founder used to tout proudly her world ranking and success on the tour....though last time i looked, they toned it down and admitted she struggled. What they don't mention is, she was literally a joke out there and her record is embarassing.

"Ms. Brown had no previous high school, college or professional experience in tennis. Based on using the new training methods from their joint research, Ms Brown went from a USTA NTRP tennis rating of 3.5 to a professional world ranking of 1,069 in less than four years."

you mean this quote? I did find that claim rather hard to believe when I first read it. The woman looked like in her 40s and she never played tennis and was playing on the tour based on "new training methods" ?

Datacipher
02-13-2005, 07:36 PM
"Ms. Brown had no previous high school, college or professional experience in tennis. Based on using the new training methods from their joint research, Ms Brown went from a USTA NTRP tennis rating of 3.5 to a professional world ranking of 1,069 in less than four years."

you mean this quote? I did find that claim rather hard to believe when I first read it. The woman looked like in her 40s and she never played tennis and was playing on the tour based on "new training methods" ?

Yeah, that's exactly right Goober. You're wise to be skeptical. That quote is actually technically accurate, just extremely and purposefully misleading. What they don't mention is that while she did achieve a ranking, it's impossible to say whether or not she ever improved past 3.5! Certainly it's clear she did not reach 7.0 or 6.0 and not likely 5.0. Her actual record....it's painful to say the least!

At first they used quotes like the above to try to lend legitimacy and excitement to their 'research" and "methods". After her real record was exposed by some astute people(not me, I cannot take credit) who post on the internet, they revised their website to downplay her accomplishments and make the story closer to the actual one, admitting she struggled to achieve a win....(though her record is STILL worse than they portray....maybe I'll post some of her results) though they have still left out the vast majority of details about her actual playing career. It would be interesting to see if Ms. Brown could even earn say a national 5.0 ranking.
Her story illustrates my point that there are opportunities for anybody to earn a world ranking(wta) if they have the time and money.