PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Oversized please??

dotorman
11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Please recommend me three Oversized frame models under $200. NTRP 3.5, Preferably Head, Wilson, Dunlop/babolat.

Thanks !!

nCode747
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
head lm radical OS

go13illy
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
babolat pure drive 107 worked fine for me, it was a great racket until i moved onto the babolat pure storm limited.

It has decent power and and worked well for me, and i guess im a 3.5-4.0.

zoobears
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
agassi le os head radical

huskersak
11-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Ill agree with both the lm radical and the agassi OS. Be aware that Agassi frame has about an extra ounce to it compared to the LM, at least it feels that way.

mrw
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Dunlop M-fil 400

POG OS

orangettecoleman
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I have a LM radical OS and added silicone in the handle and a little lead tape at 3 and 9 so it weighs around 12.5 oz. it's great, very happy with it.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM

i agree with this. awesome racket. i prefered the original better though. the donnay pro one os is very nice as well very soft feeling.

GMN
11-06-2008, 01:29 AM
try the Bab drive Z 110 or 118. It is great on control and manuverability. I play between the 4.0 and 4.5 level, get knocked back and forth by USTA. This is my racquet of choice.

Nuke
11-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Not in your preferred list of manufacturers, but the Prince Original Graphite, and the Prince OS Warrior are both pretty good choices.

dotorman
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
No wilson??

Alafter
11-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Oversize? I recommend the Nblade OS! It's the only stick I ever use. To be honest, I came to this stick because I decided to stop being a racquet ho over a year ago and just fixated on one stick. This happened to be the stick I picked for no particular reason. It has served me well--I can say I cant blame it for anything. It's definitely comfortable and it's not low powered, it doesnt hinder spin, definitely a choice for the recreational player.

plasma
11-07-2008, 08:04 AM
hey dotorman,
take advice from a pro in person who will ask you about your game and be able to see what you need. Without knowing whether you need a station wagon or a sports car everyone chimed in with their suggestions. Can them all, pick up the oldest heaviest racquet you can find and try to hit the ball so that its heavy and not just spining or fast.
p.s. I'm not a racquet expert but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express!

kalic
11-07-2008, 08:27 AM

Another vote :)

dotorman
11-07-2008, 08:29 AM
I seen above two sticks recommended
1.Head Microgel Rad OS $189:00 107 Sq 11.1 0z
2. Head LM Rad OS $74 107 Sq 11.2 Oz
Except the good prince on LM, what's the difference?

dotorman
11-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I mean good price.

haerdalis
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
The lm radical is more solid and has a higher sw. Not as spin friendly and of course not as maneuverable. The MG is quite low powered, very spin friendly, not as stable but still decent stability for its specs. But you need full swings with that one.

dotorman
11-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your input guys, it helps.

Gorecki
11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
mind me asking... but as a 3.5 i guess you are looking for a lightweight forgiving raquet... is this correct?

Pushmaster
11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
The POG OS, and Ti.Radical OS are the only two OS sticks that I've ever actually liked. That being said by a die-hard mid guy.

dotorman
11-10-2008, 10:39 AM
mind me asking... but as a 3.5 i guess you are looking for a lightweight forgiving raquet... is this correct?

Not really.. Frist of all I don't have many racquets,:( I have been playing with Head Ti Radical Elite wich is 9.5 oz and even after adding some lead tape I find that racquet very light. A friend of mine gave me a cheap wilson (it says wilson graphite grand slam on it) but it is heavy and really like to play with that.

T1000
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Dunlop 900g, best oversize racquet I used

Gorecki
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Not really.. Frist of all I don't have many racquets,:( I have been playing with Head Ti Radical Elite wich is 9.5 oz and even after adding some lead tape I find that racquet very light. A friend of mine gave me a cheap wilson (it says wilson graphite grand slam on it) but it is heavy and really like to play with that.

funny... is that Ti.Elite mate black anthracite and red with CZ grommets at 3&9? because i have 2 of those i mention customized with some 50 gms of lead all over!

as for my previous question, the reason is that i now use head radical OS frames and prestige mid plus (660), and i do enjoy the rads but they can be too demaniding if you are a 3.5,

but i must note also that those same OS racquets took me from 3.5 to 4.5\5....

MagPro
11-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Another for the Head LM Rad OS. I happen to have two that are 9/10 for real cheap if you want them. Email me at mgs62827@yahoo.com if your interested. I went to the MP.

Nanshiki
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Donnay somethingsomething oversized?

I remember I tried the Pure Drive 107 a while back and liked it.

dotorman
11-10-2008, 08:29 PM
funny... is that Ti.Elite mate black anthracite and red with CZ grommets at 3&9? because i have 2 of those i mention customized with some 50 gms of lead all over!

as for my previous question, the reason is that i now use head radical OS frames and prestige mid plus (660), and i do enjoy the rads but they can be too demaniding if you are a 3.5,

but i must note also that those same OS racquets took me from 3.5 to 4.5\5....

well, I plan to demo one of the MG Rad OS, do you think that would be a good one to try?

dotorman
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM

I remember I tried the Pure Drive 107 a while back and liked it.

Good suggestion,I want to demo 3 racquests 1. MG Rad OS 2. Bab Pure Drive 107 and 3. ??

Suggestions?

Thanks.

markwillplay
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
get a used POG 4 stripe and be done

Alafter
11-11-2008, 05:28 AM
DEfinitely POG OS.

Rationale:

With Babolate you get to know what a stiffer, tweener power OS feels like.

With MG Radical you get to feel what a flexy, confused racquet feels like. There's a lot of technology in that thing.

With POG Os, you get to feel what a heavy, flexy, and inanimously agreed flagship OS control racquet is like.

dotorman
11-11-2008, 08:17 AM
why none of you recommend Wilson? Is it because I am 3.5? Need to go level or two more to use wilsons? Just curious!

haerdalis
11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
It is rather the opposite. You need to stay at 3.5 or lower to use wilsons oversize racquets. But sure for a different type of racquet, try the wilson k5 OS or the k4.

dotorman
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Great help guys!! how does this look for a demo? 1.Head MG Rad OS 2. Bab Pure Drive 107 and 3. POG OS. ?remember this is for a 3.5 player. Is MG Rad OS is a good choice? or replace that with Dunlop 900 which T1000 suggested or even Donnay pro os? I welcome your advise and suggestions

Enlightened Coelacanth
11-11-2008, 08:41 AM

I remember I tried the Pure Drive 107 a while back and liked it.The Donnay Pro One. It's a great frame but because of the grommet problem it can't be recommended (unless one never changes the strings).
It's too bad because it really does play well. The Prince Graphite OS would be my other selection or the Avery.
I'm selling my Donnays off over the grommet issue.

EDIT...TW is getting some grommets in mid month. This changes everything for me. Choose the Donnay. As good as the Prince, but slightly friendlier and less pricey. If only the color wasn't that of an Orange Creamsicle.

haerdalis
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I think the MG radical OS might be underpowered for a 3.5 and the POg might be too heavy. But thats what the demo is for.
Other frames to consider, Volkl/Becker V1 OS. The DNX V1 OS is on sale now and it is a great frame.
Maybe try the NXG OS instead of the POG OS.

GiveMeGut
11-11-2008, 09:15 AM
The Ti.Rad is my favorite OS of all followed closely by the Fischer M Pro No One 105. Also, though not technically an OS, the Volkl V1 Classic deserves a look.

Gorecki
11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
why none of you recommend Wilson? Is it because I am 3.5? Need to go level or two more to use wilsons? Just curious!

most recomendations made here are for OS player specs frames that will take you from 3.5 up. the wilsons are not for that purpose... hence why!

Alafter
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM

I did recommend you Wilson's Nblade. I think it's a great racquet that is could be played by anyone. A shame there's no demo.

If you want, add Kblade Team to the list. However I have not tried this racquet and I cant really vouch for it...but it's gotta be the most playerly 'almost OS' Wilson racquet available (at 104 and with its power holes, I suspect its closer to OS than MP).

dotorman
11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I am not very conversant about Racquets, sorry :( when you guys say POG OS? Is this the one you talk about?http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-GRO.html

jasonchu
11-12-2008, 12:23 PM
old school flex, oversize power.
cheap price and limited numbers if you are a collector

dotorman
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Anyway,, I ordered 3 Stixs for Demo, will let you guys know how I do with them.... Thanks You all for your Hlep.
1.MG Rad OS 2. Bab Pure 107 and 2. POG OS.

ratm355
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Head Microgel Radical OS

orangettecoleman
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
whatever you do, make sure you demo a prince original graphite OS and a Head Radical OS as those are the standard for players oversize racquets. they are both great.

Bengt
11-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Anyway,, I ordered 3 Stixs for Demo, will let you guys know how I do with them.... Thanks You all for your Hlep.

You'll probably favor the Bab or the Radical right out of the gate due to their relative lightness. They'll be easier to swing. However, don't toss the POG aside too early because of this. Give it a chance because once you figure out how to make the mass of the racquet do the work for you, you'll be hitting a heavier, more solid ball and your arm and shoulder will feel great. Don't try to muscle the ball with this racquet.

dotorman
11-13-2008, 07:47 AM
From everybody's input on this thread, It seems like my choices for demo is good.

dotorman
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Update::: well, played with POG and MG Rad OS,, Loved POG - Is it head heavy? I like that!! RAD OS is good but little light for me, need lead tape on it if I want to use it, will try Bab pure drive 107 probably on Tuesday and let you guys know.

SaunderS
11-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Wilson [K] Six.One LITE. 249g, 103sq.

dotorman
11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Tried all three so far,
1. MG Rad OS -- powerful but light stick, I am having a control issues with this one.
2. POG OS - loved it so far, I can play my best shots with this stick, really like the weight, not so much maneuverable though. My favorite so far.
3. Bab Pure Drive Cortex 107 - Great feel, weight is good for my taste but bit more powerful for me and so I have some control issue with this one too but if I play more with this stick, I think I would like it.

RM05
11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
i agree w/ everyone who recommends the agassi radical limited edition. i just bought one today out of curiosity and because it was really cheap. two words to describe this racquet. pretty solid. i might even start using this as my main racquet. a cheaper alternative to the prince original graphite oversize...which i'm also demoing tonight. now i want to try TW's Donnay OS.

Anyone know an OS racquet as good as the Head Agassi LE or Prince Graphite OS that is extended(longbody)? Thanks!

heftylefty
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Tried all three so far,
1. MG Rad OS -- powerful but light stick, I am having a control issues with this one.
2. POG OS - loved it so far, I can play my best shots with this stick, really like the weight, not so much maneuverable though. My favorite so far.
3. Bab Pure Drive Cortex 107 - Great feel, weight is good for my taste but bit more powerful for me and so I have some control issue with this one too but if I play more with this stick, I think I would like it.

You can't go wrong with the Original OS, POG. Although I use a mid+, I sometimes use the POG without making any adjustment on groundies, serves and volley.

tennisguyak
11-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Ti s6 - very comfortable, forgiving stick
Wilson kblade os, haven't had personal experience with it, but it has gotten plenty of good reviews
Babolat Pure Drive OS 110 - played with this racket for 3 years (the old non cortex version) and it served me very well. Strong racket at first but once you get used to it its very stable and contorlable.

tennisguyak
11-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Head Microgel Radical OS

I tried the MG radical OS for about a week and I found that its a very awkward racket. The thin beem doesn't quite fit with the large head size making it unstable when taking larger swings at the ball.

dotorman
11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
i agree w/ everyone who recommends the agassi radical limited edition. i just bought one today out of curiosity and because it was really cheap. two words to describe this racquet. pretty solid. i might even start using this as my main racquet. a cheaper alternative to the prince original graphite oversize...which i'm also demoing tonight. now i want to try TW's Donnay OS.

what's the weight? how cheap did you buy it for?

dotorman
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
You can't go wrong with the Original OS, POG. Although I use a mid+, I sometimes use the POG without making any adjustment on groundies, serves and volley.

I was just wondering! what do you guys use when you grow out of POG OS? I mean what would be the new technology stick for POG users?

Dildor
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I was just wondering! what do you guys use when you grow out of POG OS? I mean what would be the new technology stick for POG users?

Most players never grow out of this racquet. There is a reason why this stick has been around for so long. They got it right the first time.

Bengt
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM

There have only been a handful of real advances in racquet technology. Most so-called new technologies are marketing department creations designed to drive sales volume through perceived obsolescence on the part of the consumer. The racquet companies' problem, from a profit perspective, is that racquets simply don't wear out quickly enough.

The Graphite OS happens to possess two of few true technological advances, namely Graphite construction and the Oversized head.

dotorman
11-19-2008, 11:44 AM
The Graphite OS happens to possess two of few true technological advances, namely Graphite construction and the Oversized head.
Make sense.. Thanks!

heftylefty
11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

I would like to say: Well stated!

skraggle
11-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Do try the Warrior OS. I think you'll be surprised...

dotorman
11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Do try the Warrior OS. I think you'll be surprised...

First time heard about Warrior OS ( I am not playing tennis for too long :() weight looks good, I like bit heavy sticks,, also the price is right.