PDA

View Full Version : Buying sticks overseas.

The Dampener
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Have any of you US buyers had any success buying your frames from overseas sellers?

I'm trying to run track down and buy a few of those rare Aerogel frames unavailable here in the states.

If you have any ideas, tips, advice, suggestions, warnings, etc., you have my gratitude.

Thanks.
Damp

ollinger
11-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I've purchased two racquets, one from an internet dealer in England and one in France, in the past several years. Takes a few weeks and it's not cheap, but it went uneventfully.

Rorsach
11-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Shipping for a racquet is about 30 bucks, so don't get nailed on that one.

gymrat76
11-06-2008, 05:00 AM
I strongly advise against it. I was stiffed by a racquet dealer in Netherlands. Could hardly get my money back from p*a*y*p*a*l. Also had a tough time with a German man once. Everything went smooth at first but the deal turned south in the end. Wait for another item and stick to good ol' U.S, instead.
(But this doesnt mean good sellers do not exist in Europe. No offense to anyone)

greenfan
11-06-2008, 05:58 AM
There are some excellent online shops, especially in UK, where you can order and buy without any problem, but I think that the prices are higher in Europe, than in the States....
And don't forget shipping too...

treblings
11-06-2008, 06:07 AM
I strongly advise against it. I was stiffed by a racquet dealer in Netherlands. Could hardly get my money back from p*a*y*p*a*l. Also had a tough time with a German man once. Everything went smooth at first but the deal turned south in the end. Wait for another item and stick to good ol' U.S, instead.
(But this doesnt mean good sellers do not exist in Europe. No offense to anyone)

I had a bad experience with a seller from the U.S. but im sure there are some good sellers.:)

The Dampener
11-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I've run up against the high prices. Conversion rates and shipping charges make purchasing overseas nearly prohibitive. But if we want certain frames, we have no other choice.

I haven't run into any questionable sellers, though. Dumb luck, I suppose.

I appreciate all the thoughts. Keep 'em coming.

scs96ajr
11-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Hi there, I do live in the UK and I travel to the states often. I always buy my rackets in the US. Prices in Europe are quite higher than the ones there. So unless the racket is not sold in the US, I wouldn't buy in Europe. Actually last summer I bought 4 Extreme Pro at half the price than in the UK! Of course that you have to phone TW and ask for a rebate :)

PS An exception seems to be Dunlop. Their frames are dirt cheap in the UK!

Keifers
11-06-2008, 11:19 AM
First time experience... I just bought a Dunlop Aerogel 200 16X19 (not available in the US) from a UK sporting goods retailer. The shipping cost was pretty steep but the racquet itself was sale priced, so I went for it. It could have been better packed (no padding, box was heavily dented), but no problem otherwise.

Btw, it shipped on Nov 4 and I had it on Nov 5!

The Dampener
11-06-2008, 02:42 PM
PS An exception seems to be Dunlop. Their frames are dirt cheap in the UK!

And those are the ones I seek. Specifically, the elusive Aerogel 300 16x18.

The Dampener
11-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Btw, it shipped on Nov 4 and I had it on Nov 5!

Really? How did they ship it? By satellite drop? : )

The Dampener
11-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I wish we could get these frames from TW Europe through an arrangement with TW here in the US. Sure would make things easier.

Cruzer
11-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Have any of you US buyers had any success buying your frames from overseas sellers?
Thanks.
Damp

I have purchased a few frames from Europe without any problems. As long as you deal with a legit retailer and they will ship overseas then the transaction should be smooth. I bought my Pure Drives from a UK retailer a couple of years before they were available in the U.S. Unfortunately the exchange rate is not very favorable at this time but if you want the frame and are willing to pay the price then you should not have any problems. I never found the shipping costs to be outrageous although understandably they were higher than buying domestically.

ac3111
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I wish we could get these frames from TW Europe through an arrangement with TW here in the US. Sure would make things easier.

I keep reading about TW Europe. Is it located in a secret place in Europe because I am looking for it and I can't find it.
They told me that before 2009 there won't be any TW store in Europe.

origmarm
11-07-2008, 04:31 AM
There is an internet shop in the UK having a sale on AG300 16*18. If you want the address then send me an e-mail at origmarm@hotmail.com as we can't post competitors on the site. They are at 79.99GBP for one.

Cheers, Orig

The Dampener
11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
There is an internet shop in the UK having a sale on AG300 16*18. If you want the address then send me an e-mail at origmarm@hotmail.com as we can't post competitors on the site. They are at 79.99GBP for one.

Cheers, Orig

Email sent. Thanks. Damp

Tofi
11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I keep reading about TW Europe. Is it located in a secret place in Europe because I am looking for it and I can't find it.
They told me that before 2009 there won't be any TW store in Europe.

It's in germany i think

origmarm
11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
It's in germany i think

It will be yes, there are job posting threads for jobs there in one of the forums (I forget which).

ac3111
11-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I know about Freiburg, Germany. But not before summer 2009. So it's not that close... But on the other hand some say time flies, so...