PDA

View Full Version : Memphis - is it hard playing against a friend?

Haka Boy
02-12-2005, 07:41 PM
With the Memphis tournament ahead I looked at the draw and noticed a first round match - James Blake v Mardy Fish. How hard would it be to face a good friend on the opposite side of the net?

Vlad
02-12-2005, 09:07 PM
It sucks but what can you do?

Haka Boy
02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
But is there a mental thing with concerns with this match?

norcal
02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
With the Memphis tournament ahead I looked at the draw and noticed a first round match - James Blake v Mardy Fish. How hard would it be to face a good friend on the opposite side of the net?
Pretty hard I imagine. Almost as hard as getting whipped in San Jose in singles and then, playing together, losing a 6-0, 3-0 lead in dubs in the quarterfinals. You have to see these guys in practice, playing around, unfocused, compared to other players. Talent doesn't always translate into wins.

Fee
02-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Sucks for Mardy and James this week. Play doubles together and play singles against each other. This is the danger for Andy, Mardy, James, Robby, the Bryans, etc. They are all pretty good friends and keep each other company on tour (I saw this first hand this week in San Jose), but then there are the days where they have to go out and try to take the other guy apart on court. I have no idea how they do it, it can't be easy on the psyche.

NoBadMojo
02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
in the older days, most of the guys were friends..before the days of traveling w. a support group, guys would travel alot alone, and often they hung out with and were good friends with the very same guys they had to try and dismantle the next day on court..they would even lend them some gear or whatever...that was pretty much standard. these days it's mostly about the business, and you really dont see so many players socializing....the old aussies were the best..they would do anything to win fairly, but if they didnt, they would give their opponent all the credit and would go out and drink some frosty beveredges that night w. the very same guy that thumped him on the court earlier that day